Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

New S2K owner here! Need some quick help

Old 06-04-2017, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New S2K owner here! Need some quick help

Hi All, I am new to Honda in general. Former Audi/VW driver but wanted to get into something new and different and I have been eying the S2000 for years since I was in high school.
Formerly I was always about practicality (coming from Chicago) and needed a FWD/AWD car for winters and a bit more storage space ruling out the S2K. I am now finally in a position where I can have a 3rd fun car and picked up a (new to me) 2002 SPA Yellow S2000. (Initial photos not so good. Will post up more once I get the car up to standard for me .

Initial driving impressions, I could not be happier with the way it drives. Everything in the engine bay seems to be perfectly maintained and drives very nice.
I have been browsing the forums a lot lately and feel I found a fairly good car that was well maintained. However my ignorance in what to look for in one of these cars made me overlook something I was not even aware of. Everything looked good until I started reading abouat water issues in the S2K. I went out and looked in my trunk and all looked fine until I pulled everything out and there was a puddle of water below the Jack kit. Further pulling out the Trim revealed this. Did I get myself in over my head or are there any fairly easier fixes for this?

Hard to see but the rust went through the pan and I am debating if I should replace or if there is an easy way to "rig" it just to make it stop from spreading further. (Some type of Asphaltene or Hydrophobic coating comes to mind?)

After inspecting for where the water was coming from, (put up the top and sprayed the hose over it to try and identify points of access). What I found was both sides had water coming in and this is what I believe is the culprit but want to know your thoughts.

From the above picture it clearly looks like who ever replaced the "new" soft top before I purchased failed to put that part on properly as its loose and not connected. However I cannot really access it.
My fear is that it is contributing to the leaking due to not being sealed properly? and will need the entire soft top pulled to get access to it for proper installation. Any ideas hints, on this? I will have about a week of time that I can work on the car or I can take it in to have someone do it if it is pretty advanced.

Thanks in advance for any help suggestions and I look forward to getting to know the community in which I have heard is one of the best.
PS. I reside in North Houston if that is of any help. Maybe someone could recommend a good local mechanic.

Cheers!
Old 06-04-2017, 11:06 PM

Hi, nice looking car, shame the soft top was installed shabbly. I have read of diy softop installations, however some drilling out of rivets holding it to the body and think that would take some time. It is also a fiddly job and if doing from scratch would take time. I would get a price first from an expert. Your soft top looks in good condition and may just be need a good strip and refit.
Cheers!
Old 06-05-2017, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Scooter57
Hi, nice looking car, shame the soft top was installed shabbly. I have read of diy softop installations, however some drilling out of rivets holding it to the body and think that would take some time. It is also a fiddly job and if doing from scratch would take time. I would get a price first from an expert. Your soft top looks in good condition and may just be need a good strip and refit.
Cheers!
Thanks, Yes overall the care is in very good shape. Soft top was advertised as recently new and it looks very good. I will plan to take it to an auto upholster in the area and get a quote on reinstalling the panel properly as I am having a very hard time getting at it (and do not really know how to). I can only hope that it does not require a complete disassemble as I have watched it on Youtube and wow that is a lot of work.
Will post up more as I learn more.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:56 PM

So I was able to remove this inside panel/trim piece. It sits right behind the seats and under the soft top.
Since it was loose and not installed properly, my question is what purpose does this panel have?
Is it strictly aesthetics? Can I drive with out it or does this have something to do with the water diversion that keeps water out of the car?

My fear is that they need to replace the entire soft top to get at it and fix it.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:35 PM

Received 199 Likes on 157 Posts

Contact v6 donut if in Houston. Also look at the side drain tube to see if they are stopped up. Nice car and enjoy
Old 06-05-2017, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bama Dave
Contact v6 donut if in Houston. Also look at the side drain tube to see if they are stopped up. Nice car and enjoy
thanks appreciate the help. I assume v6 donut is a forum member?
Old 06-05-2017, 06:12 PM

Received 199 Likes on 157 Posts

Yes sir he is one. Very knowledgeable on the s2000
Old 06-06-2017, 06:18 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Nice car. I'm a fan of 02 models.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:37 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts