Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

NewB with S2k that's been abandoned...

Old 01-20-2012, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NewB with S2k that's been abandoned...

Hi All! I'm Vic, and I've sort of "inherited" an S2k. It's not mine, truth is a close relative passed away and left the car to his wife and son. We want the kid to eventually drive it, but in the meantime he's not old enough for at least 10 more years. I'll probably be the one taking care of the car for now and I want to get him involved - he's already an encyclopedia of theoretical knowledge about cars - can't shut this guy up about 0-60 of the C63 AMG and how many speeds in the new M5's transmission. Atta boy!

The car has been sitting in a garage for about 7 years, without ever having been started. I'm guessing I shouldn't just try to turn the engine over before checking out a few things. Also, I'm a total NewB to S2000's - I had a del Sol that I modded in the 1990's, and my current car is a modded BMW, so I have some experience with cars. But when it comes to S2000, I could use each and every pointer and advice.

My goal is to get the kid involved in nursing the car back to life, maybe eventually throw a couple of tasteful mods on it (although I happen to think it is perfect in its completely original state). Mileage is very low, and I'd like to keep it that way - I just want to be sure the car runs and is kept up properly. This thing looks like it still has the original tires it came with in 2000. What I need to know is what is the proper procedure to revive a car, that has been sitting for so long? And any general information about proper upkeep and maintenance - any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Best wishes!
Vic
Old 01-20-2012, 12:06 PM

Change the fluids - engine, transmission, rear diff, steering, brake, clutch. Drive it around for a bit, then flush the fluids when you're like 100-200 miles in. There has to be a ton of gunk up in a 7 year old still car.

Check hoses and rubbers to see if there's any cracking or drying.

If the top was down, slowly bring it back up and stretch it out.

If its cold where you are, I suggest waiting till the spring. Cold can cause something to crack if its not been maintained properly.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:39 PM

I would add to the above to have the old gasoline removed from the tank & re-fill with fresh.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

Again to add... check the battery
Old 01-21-2012, 02:12 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

and welcome....
Old 01-22-2012, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by acn684
Change the fluids - engine, transmission, rear diff, steering, brake, clutch. Drive it around for a bit, then flush the fluids when you're like 100-200 miles in. There has to be a ton of gunk up in a 7 year old still car.

Check hoses and rubbers to see if there's any cracking or drying.

If the top was down, slowly bring it back up and stretch it out.

If its cold where you are, I suggest waiting till the spring. Cold can cause something to crack if its not been maintained properly.
That one will be a little tough to change.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:25 PM

That one will be a little tough to change.
[/quote]
Damn that EPS
Old 01-25-2012, 11:46 PM

Wait! S2K has electric power steering?!?!

Thanks for the tips, you guys! I will do what I can to bring this thing back to life. It's PRISTINE! Top looks new, it was in a garage all these years. My biggest concern is the engine internals and all the fluids. I've just blown the engine my Bimmer (I hope not, but that's what it's looking like), so I've gotta be certain I don't blow any more engines

So with that in mind, I should 1. drain all fluids and put new fluids in, 2. put in a new battery (check for leaks and bad terminals etc) and start the car, 3. after about 100-200 miles, flush all the fluids again and top them off with freshness. 4. Enjoy the spring top-down weather, which should be forthcoming directly - am I on point?
Old 01-30-2012, 01:16 PM

welcome, the s2k I picked up last week was almost in the same boat as yours. minus that the owner did not take care of the soft top, rims, etc. I drove the car home emptied the gas tank and refreshed it with new gas. The previous owner didn't drive it for about 1-2 years as the car was soo dusty from just sitting in his garage. Right now i'm at 200+ miles and i'm going to replace all fluids, tune it up, etc.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by V.RU
Wait! S2K has electric power steering?!?!

Thanks for the tips, you guys! I will do what I can to bring this thing back to life. It's PRISTINE! Top looks new, it was in a garage all these years. My biggest concern is the engine internals and all the fluids. I've just blown the engine my Bimmer (I hope not, but that's what it's looking like), so I've gotta be certain I don't blow any more engines

So with that in mind, I should 1. drain all fluids and put new fluids in, 2. put in a new battery (check for leaks and bad terminals etc) and start the car, 3. after about 100-200 miles, flush all the fluids again and top them off with freshness. 4. Enjoy the spring top-down weather, which should be forthcoming directly - am I on point?

Yep, sounds like a solid plan. The only thing you didn't list was a visual inspection. Go over all the hoses, belts, gaskets, etc and look for leaks or stuff that looks like it may break soon. Better to replace it in the garage than on the side of the road.

Quick Reply: NewB with S2k that's been abandoned...