Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Patience made Perfect

Old 08-13-2010, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patience made Perfect

So I must start off by saying that this site has really helped me in my decision to buy an S2000 and it has been quite an interesting journey for me.
It started about a year ago when I was driving my Volvo C70 down a twisty road and just wasn't getting the feedback from the car that I wanted, I quickly decided that it was time for that car to go. But with so many options what would replace it? I spent months compiling a list of all the options from every manufacturer and that is when I stumbled on the S2000, a tiny little sports car I had never really heard of. So the S2000 when on my list and I began to drive every car I could get my hands on, anything from the 350Z to the Toyota MR2 Spyder. Even with these amazing cars I never really fell in love with any of them and it just never felt like me.

Around that time I had to move into a new apartment. As if it where a sign from the car gods my next door neighbor just happened to have a 06 GPW , and that really did it for me. I spent the last six months walking out to my car and having to look at the object of my obsession. It was pure torture. Then I finally found myself in the position financially to buy a S2000, but then I lost my job...that was a real kick in the pants and really made me feel like the S2 was just a unicorn for me and it would never really happen. As luck would have it I was only unemployed for a couple months and was able to find a job that made me enough money to afford a S2. That is when the real search began...

I had been lurking around this site asking simple questions now and then so I was able to really fine tune what I wanted. What I wanted and what was in my budget were two totally different things so I knew I might have to settle with a older higher mileage car then I had planned but to me as long as I got S2000 I knew I would be happy. I knew I could afford a 2000-2004 S2 and I had long decided that Black on Black was the only color option for me. I didn't realize how hard that would make my life. Take a limited production car and then pick out one of the hardest to find color trims...

So I began to scour all the car website everyday, morning and night, in hopes to find "the one". I did find a few nice cars and even a few I went to test drive. But it seemed everyone I looked at had some sort of issue. One had a diff that was on its way out, another had a bent frame and so on. Now this would not be so bad except here on the Central Coast of California there are no cars like this for sale so each time I would find one that might work for me it was a 2-3 hour drive. After the third road trip I was very upset, thinking that there was no way I was ever going to find a car. Even after all that I kept on with checking the web, some times 3 times a day...and that is when it happened.

It was while I was going through each region of craigslist one at a time that I found a listing that was almost too good to be true. I found myself a 2003 Black on Black with only 45000 miles for only $13500. It was a one owner car that he had purchased from the dealer in late 03. I called him the second I read the listing and talked with the older gentlemen for almost an hour. It was completely stock, new tires and just been detailed. Two days later I went on one last road trip and really did find the car of my dreams.

I spend the whole day taking my time driving it home, with the top down of course. I had the time of my life taking it through the tight turns and really getting a feel for the car. In all my fun though I didn't realize that when you drive four hours on a sunny day with the top down you will indeed get a pretty nice sun burn. So there you have it many hours of searching really does pay off and remember "always wear sunscreen"
Old 08-13-2010, 09:26 AM

Congrats and welcome! I also went through the same list of cars and 6 months of waiting before jumping into it. Great car and I'm sure you'll enjoy it throughly!
Old 08-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts

*wear

Grats. I popped my cherry with BB too.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:57 AM

good call, didn't catch that typo...
Old 08-13-2010, 10:44 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by morrobaybum,Aug 13 2010, 12:22 PM
...and remember "always wear sunscreen"

Good story
Old 08-13-2010, 12:07 PM

There are many different "journeys" to the S2000. Nice read and enjoy!
Old 08-13-2010, 01:16 PM

Nice story with a good ending Congrats on the pick-up
Old 08-13-2010, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats
Old 08-14-2010, 04:06 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

and welcome......
Old 08-15-2010, 01:41 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post