Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Question from new guy

Old 04-18-2008, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question from new guy

Hey I'm checking out a stock 2005 s2k w/ about 17K miles located at a dealer. Anything I should be looking out for as far as potential issues (mechanical or electrical....clutch, etc) w/ that specific year. Any other advice would be great!

Thank you.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:48 AM

If you have any friends that are techs, try to bring one with..
Old 04-18-2008, 08:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you're asking for maintainence type issues to be aware of, there's nothing really. the car was on its 6th year of production and they'd pretty much worked out the kinks. and that car would still be under the original warranty, wouldn't it?

for that one, signs of serious abuse or neglect are the biggest thing to look for IMO. i'd want to see if it's been treated right--and even driven hard but correctly is ok, just not flagrantly abused.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:07 AM

Thanks for the replies. How's a stock S2K as a daily driver? Little background...I'm 32 so I'm not as masochistic as I was when I was 20...so if it rides like a go-cart, then it's probably not for me. I usually commute on my sportbike, so not having to gear up whenever I want to go someplace is a luxury in itself and just being in ANY car is somewhat of a luxury. I live in the DC area and I'd say roads around here are about average. FWIW, I'm also considering a 350Z.

Thanks again.

-Brian
Old 04-18-2008, 11:00 AM

(Reading the stickies now...)
Old 04-18-2008, 12:15 PM

I know a lot of people drive them as a daily driver. I personally prefer my truck as a daily driver, but the s2000 is easy to drive and it rides pretty nice so I dont see why you couldnt drive it daily. I dont think i would have any trouble doing it/

-Ian
Old 04-18-2008, 03:47 PM

i drive mine as a daily for about 2 more months than il have a truck but i love it and love it as a dd
Old 04-18-2008, 04:55 PM

You can use the car as a DD, many people on the site do. And MY05 is a better choice than the early years (MY00-03), as they are generally considered a bit more comfortable for daily use. On the plus side, they are reliable, get relatively good gas mileage and are a blast to drive. On the minus side, you'll have very little extra room, interior is on the noisey side (it is a convertable) and year-around driving demands a second set of snow tires. Hard top will help for the cold-weather months but remember, first and foremost, this is a sports car. As others have said, MY05 should be relatively trouble-free
Old 04-18-2008, 05:23 PM

I just bought a Berlina Black 2005 S2000 with 17K on it as well. You should look at the ragtop from inside the car for signs of a rip/ tear. It is very common on this car, I found a wear mark on mine that will turn into a rip if I dont address this issue. Try searching "rip" or "tear" for more information. GL!
Old 04-20-2008, 06:14 AM

I'm in DC and just picked up an S2K Friday night. I also ride bikes (KTM 950 and BMW K1200RS). I moved here 4 months ago and compared to Florida, the roads here in the city are bad/bumpy.

I own a large sedan (XJR), so I was not sure the S2K would turn out to be my daily driver. But after driving around DC yesterday (I put over 300 miles on the car, including a drive from Chevy Chase through the city to go to the Eastern Shore), I think the S2K may be just fine as a DD and I may be selling the sedan.

Over the past 3 years I have owned other roadsters: an '04 Boxster S and an '05 Elise. The S2K is much more forgiving than the Elise (and I drove the Elise as a DD for 7 months) and about the same on rougher roads as the Boxster. I'm 47, 6' tall & weigh 200lbs, and driving the S2K is just fine. Compared to a sport bike the S2K will be like switching to a limo unless you happen to be much taller/heavier than me.

You might want to consider Honda's lease deal and get an '08. Nationally it is advertised at $349/month with around $1500 out of pocket.

Steve

Quick Reply: Question from new guy