Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

S2000 maybe?

Old 01-28-2016, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 maybe?

Hi everyone, I'm Brandon and I don't have an S2K, but Its one out of two of my options I'm considering with the other choice being a WRX after graduating this December from college .
Old 01-28-2016, 12:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WhatBoiPanama
Hi everyone, I'm Brandon and I don't have an S2K, but Its one out of two of my options I'm considering with the other choice being a WRX after graduating this December from college .
I own both a WRX and S2000. They are two completely different cars, and both "fun to drive" in their own unique way. While I recommend you get a WRX for a daily and the S2000 as your weekend toy, I realize that may not be possible- in which case I would recommend you ask yourself what your true needs in a car/transportation are and what they will be in the future.

Personally, the thrill of the turbo in the WRX combined with it's four doors and more forgiving-for-daily-driving gearbox makes me lean toward that option, but at the end of the day it is a widebody Impreza with chassis, suspension, and drivetrain upgrades. It does not have the full-on essence of a sports car, which you will immediately find in the S2000. I will say that I would not enjoy daily driving the S2000. There's a constant issue of space (grocery shopping and IKEA runs, for example, a staple for any post-undergraduate kid). There's also insurance costs (it's slightly higher than the already high WRX), as well as the imminent threat of the car's top being cut and subsequently vandalized/stolen.

Bottom line, it's up to you what you want. You're here on an S2000 forum, and you will likely be cheered on by S2000 owners to get one. If you head over to NASIOC, the same will happen, except it will be bias toward the WRX. My advice is to drive both and see which one you like best. Good luck with the car shopping, as it's one of the most stressful yet exciting parts about S2000 ownership!
Old 01-28-2016, 03:02 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

I've been on the "roadster" as the only car route and it's highly unsatisfactory. Must be nice, though, having enough cash right after graduation for a sports car! I had a job the second I graduated thanks to my Army commission so cash wasn't a problem. Only two seats and the soft top were. My current roadster, an '06 S2000 is strictly a summer play car. She gets daily driven many nice days.

The newest S2000 cars are pushing 10 years old. All have been discarded by their owners for one reason or another. I can only assume you're considering similar age WRX cars as well. My guess is any WRX has been ridden hard and put away wet many times. These ain't cars driven by little old ladies. End up with a car that's been abused by winter driving up north and everything is rusted solid underneath. Some S2000s are out there formerly owned by professionals or autophiles who didn't abuse them but they can be hard to find.

The late WRX are nice cars. The early cars have no style at all but can be turned into pretty good performance cars. A supercharged BRZ/FR-S, though, is something very different and very nice.

Car to get? Try a 4-door Civic SI. There are train loads of go fast parts for them and they can revert to sedan status in a second.

-- Chuck
Old 01-28-2016, 03:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, coming from a 600hp sti as a daily to my s2000 that I daily I can say I enjoy the S more. Mister Clean is right, though, they are two completely different beasts. IMHO I think the S will be a little more reliable as a dd and will be exponentially more fun in the corners vs the wrx which will be much quicker in a straight line plus awd so you'll always have grip. Snow is another factor to consider, if you live or are going to live up north I would say go with the wrx, hands down. Also, if youre going to mod the car, do yourself a favor and buy a wrx or you will forever be broke because mods for the S are crazy expensive! At the end of the day, though, they're two very different cars but you cant go wrong with either one!
Old 01-28-2016, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa, money like that right out of college? I've got buddies that are straight broke and in debt with gen 1 neons - out of college lol
Are you after the image and glory of owning said vehicles? (like new bike riders wanting a 1000cc sport-bike from the get go) Because there is a ton of affordable potential in much cheaper vehicles than an S2000 (I agree highly with NFR-S2K - An S2000 is not cheap to mod).

In the end, it really is your choice and we're not in charge of your finances.
The S2000 is a really fun car, and expensive to fix when stupidity occurs. There were jokes (ages ago) going on when a new guy (young) gets an s2000, and everyone was waiting for the crash thread.

I'll spare the loss of time from reading my crap and say: "what are you willing to shell out in gen-maintenance and parts?"

In the end, you will eventually start making the vehicle your own.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
The late WRX are nice cars. The early cars have no style at all but can be turned into pretty good performance cars. A supercharged BRZ/FR-S, though, is something very different and very nice.

Car to get? Try a 4-door Civic SI. There are train loads of go fast parts for them and they can revert to sedan status in a second.

-- Chuck
In the Subaru community, the earlier WRX/STI models (2002-2007), are quite popular since they are regarded to most as the "ones that started it all" and allowed the nameplate to gain traction here in the US. They are also cheaper to mod than the newer models, with plenty of aftermarket support at all price tiers.

To be honest, I would get an older WRX over a same age Civic Si any day. The older WRX models are admittedly less reliable than a similarly-aged Civic Si, but they are more "fun" to drive, have the advantages of AWD and Turbo, and have a more raw driving feel to them that cant be replicated with newer models. $1000 worth of modifications on a 2007 WRX will allow it to walk all over a modified Civic Si with the same amount of investment. A simple Stage 2 on these cars really wakes them up!

Again, it all circles back to the OPs desires. A cheap Subaru WRX might be cool at first, but there may be downtime involved when turbos fail, timing belts need replacing, etc. And not everyone can deal with downtime if there's only one car in the stable.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Clean
Originally Posted by WhatBoiPanama' timestamp='1454010566' post='23865274
I own both a WRX and S2000. They are two completely different cars, and both "fun to drive" in their own unique way. While I recommend you get a WRX for a daily and the S2000 as your weekend toy, I realize that may not be possible- in which case I would recommend you ask yourself what your true needs in a car/transportation are and what they will be in the future.

Personally, the thrill of the turbo in the WRX combined with it's four doors and more forgiving-for-daily-driving gearbox makes me lean toward that option, but at the end of the day it is a widebody Impreza with chassis, suspension, and drivetrain upgrades. It does not have the full-on essence of a sports car, which you will immediately find in the S2000. I will say that I would not enjoy daily driving the S2000. There's a constant issue of space (grocery shopping and IKEA runs, for example, a staple for any post-undergraduate kid). There's also insurance costs (it's slightly higher than the already high WRX), as well as the imminent threat of the car's top being cut and subsequently vandalized/stolen.

Bottom line, it's up to you what you want. You're here on an S2000 forum, and you will likely be cheered on by S2000 owners to get one. If you head over to NASIOC, the same will happen, except it will be bias toward the WRX. My advice is to drive both and see which one you like best. Good luck with the car shopping, as it's one of the most stressful yet exciting parts about S2000 ownership!
I'm also on NASIOC haha, I'll turn 25 2 months after I decide what I wanna drive so hopefully insurance won't be so bad, clean driving record and no tickets btw.

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I've been on the "roadster" as the only car route and it's highly unsatisfactory. Must be nice, though, having enough cash right after graduation for a sports car! I had a job the second I graduated thanks to my Army commission so cash wasn't a problem. Only two seats and the soft top were. My current roadster, an '06 S2000 is strictly a summer play car. She gets daily driven many nice days.

The newest S2000 cars are pushing 10 years old. All have been discarded by their owners for one reason or another. I can only assume you're considering similar age WRX cars as well. My guess is any WRX has been ridden hard and put away wet many times. These ain't cars driven by little old ladies. End up with a car that's been abused by winter driving up north and everything is rusted solid underneath. Some S2000s are out there formerly owned by professionals or autophiles who didn't abuse them but they can be hard to find.

-- Chuck
I've never really considered a 4 door Si, but I really do like the FD2 even an FA5 with an FD2 conversion I think is nice.

Originally Posted by NFR-S2k-
Well, coming from a 600hp sti as a daily to my s2000 that I daily I can say I enjoy the S more. Mister Clean is right, though, they are two completely different beasts. IMHO I think the S will be a little more reliable as a dd and will be exponentially more fun in the corners vs the wrx which will be much quicker in a straight line plus awd so you'll always have grip. Snow is another factor to consider, if you live or are going to live up north I would say go with the wrx, hands down. Also, if youre going to mod the car, do yourself a favor and buy a wrx or you will forever be broke because mods for the S are crazy expensive! At the end of the day, though, they're two very different cars but you cant go wrong with either one!
I forgot to mention I'm here in Houston, TX so snow isn't a problem for me at all haha.

Originally Posted by imnida
Whoa, money like that right out of college? I've got buddies that are straight broke and in debt with gen 1 neons - out of college lol
Are you after the image and glory of owning said vehicles? (like new bike riders wanting a 1000cc sport-bike from the get go) Because there is a ton of affordable potential in much cheaper vehicles than an S2000 (I agree highly with NFR-S2K - An S2000 is not cheap to mod).

In the end, it really is your choice and we're not in charge of your finances.
The S2000 is a really fun car, and expensive to fix when stupidity occurs. There were jokes (ages ago) going on when a new guy (young) gets an s2000, and everyone was waiting for the crash thread.

I'll spare the loss of time from reading my crap and say: "what are you willing to shell out in gen-maintenance and parts?"

In the end, you will eventually start making the vehicle your own.
Yeah I've saved at least 20,000 by going to a community college and the one I'm going to right now isn't so bad compared to other universities.

Originally Posted by Chuck S' timestamp='1454025742' post='23865483

-- Chuck
In the Subaru community, the earlier WRX/STI models (2002-2007), are quite popular since they are regarded to most as the "ones that started it all" and allowed the nameplate to gain traction here in the US. They are also cheaper to mod than the newer models, with plenty of aftermarket support at all price tiers.

To be honest, I would get an older WRX over a same age Civic Si any day. The older WRX models are admittedly less reliable than a similarly-aged Civic Si, but they are more "fun" to drive, have the advantages of AWD and Turbo, and have a more raw driving feel to them that cant be replicated with newer models. $1000 worth of modifications on a 2007 WRX will allow it to walk all over a modified Civic Si with the same amount of investment. A simple Stage 2 on these cars really wakes them up!

Again, it all circles back to the OPs desires. A cheap Subaru WRX might be cool at first, but there may be downtime involved when turbos fail, timing belts need replacing, etc. And not everyone can deal with downtime if there's only one car in the stable.
Yeah I'm coming from a POS 2003 civic haha and I couldn't care less how fast it is, mostly I want something fun around the corners.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:02 PM

If you are looking for something fun around the corners, then either the S2000 or the WRX will suffice! What years of S2000 and WRX were you looking at? I own a 2014 WRX and a 2005 S2000.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:13 PM

If you are looking for something fun around the corners, then either the S2000 or the WRX will suffice! What years of S2000 and WRX were you looking at? I own a 2014 WRX and a 2005 S2000.
As of right now if a WRX it would be a 2015+ but I really like all of them, as for S2000 both AP1 and AP2.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by WhatBoiPanama
Originally Posted by Mister Clean' timestamp='1454043761' post='23865634
As of right now if a WRX it would be a 2015+ but I really like all of them, as for S2000 both AP1 and AP2.
The 2015+ WRX sure is a nice car to drive, but I purposely chose the 2014 due to the rumble, exterior design, simplicity, etc. Everyone will have a different preference in this department, but I was lucky enough to shop for a WRX when both 2014 and 2015 models were on the showroom floor, so I had the option to try both.

I ended up with a 2005 S2000 just out of pure preference, my dad and I liked the AP2 styling over the AP1. We never drive the car as if it were a race car, so the 9K redline and suspension design of the AP1 were negligible for us. We also preferred the cable throttle and lack of traction control on the 04-05 models.

I would begin by giving the 2015 WRX a test drive. I think once you realize that the prices for those cars used are much higher than used AP1s, you may lean toward the S2000. The WRXs have very healthy resale values, and that may deter you as a potential buyer.

Quick Reply: S2000 maybe?