Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

S2000 vs Evo IX

Old 09-06-2009, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get whatever you'll be happy with...when i bought my s2k i test drove STIs, M3, 350z but not Evo (didn't like them that much) but s2k made more sense because it was cheap, faster and better for a 23 years old student, i drive around by myself or take my girlfriend out her and there...so having a small roadster is great...s2k might be small but trust me i have took mine to LA and back with the trunk full of stuff and i loved the drive...you'll get use to it very quick.
make sure what ever you get, check it top to bottom and take it to the dealer for an inspection...
Old 09-06-2009, 09:42 PM

I agree with pretty much everyone here. I've heard that the Evo can be made wicked fast for cheap compared to our cars but I heard the whole 4 door sedan look and feel gets boring fast.

I was actually going to trade my s2k for an evo that was worth more but I just can't get past the stereotype of the typical evo driver. I went to the evo forums to try to make a better decision and they proceeded to only drive me further away (big egos).

The s2000 is great, the only bad thing is that any car for a family I get after this will be not nearly as enjoyable to drive. Top down and 8500rpm redline (I have a reflash) at my disposal is just too much fun!
Old 09-06-2009, 10:46 PM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

i've had my evo new since 2006 and have come from the MR2 scene. honestly, i love the evo and it hasn't given me problems. there are arrogant evo owners out there and i've met my fair share of them but what car group doesnt? every car group has one jack ass they'd wish to get rid of.

you can't go wrong with either car. the evo is a ton of fun at the track... it is almost too easy to drive out there and hides a lot of the drivers faults, faults that would easily be displayed by your average new miata/s2k owner.

have fun deciding. if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:51 PM

Received 1,263 Likes on 955 Posts

There are pros and cons to each.

Facts to think about:

-The S2000 does handle better. This point is overlooked way too much. But will get you into trouble faster.

-The S2000 is 10X more fun to drive...unless you're heavy into power.

-The power to weight ratio of a stock EVO GSR @ 287hp and 3300lbs is around the same as a stock S2000 @240hp and 2800lbs. It's like 11.4lbs/hp to 11.6lbs/hp.

-Evos win drag races. Done. No arguing this, please. For every 1 S2000 that will win a drag race against a EVO, there are 40 million EVOs that will beat a S2000 in a drag race.

-The EVO driveline is stronger.

-Mistubishi is garbage. Seriously. The quality is horrible. I don't think I'll ever buy another Mitsubishi. The 4G63 is a genuinely great engine, athough the car will fall apart around it.

-The EVO has 5 seats. It will beat the S2000 in versatility every time. If you need practicalilty, the EVO is your car.

-The EVO does everything well. It handles well, it makes power, it can carry passengers, it can drag race...so you can use it as your everything car.

-The S2000 is more focused. It's more of a "driver's car". It handles better and has sharper reflexes.

-The S2000 stops faster from 60.

-EVO brakes are more consistent if the pads are the same.

There's lots of other stuff.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by stitos2k,Sep 4 2009, 09:26 AM
The evo as a performance car is actually fairly good. Handles great, great acceleration. The problem is Mitsubishi can't build a decent car to save their lives. Every time it rained my cabin had 2 inches of water in the passenger floor board. Several trips to multiple dealers and they never did get it resolved. I eventually fixed it myself, but it wasn't fun. Btw that was pretty common. Fit and finish is iffy, build quality is very hit or miss, your typical mitsu blunders. Engine was solid, tranny was iffy. Easy to make lots of power with a few $$ in mods and tuning.

If I was in the market for an evo type car, i'd get a 2009 WRX instead. Subaru build quality is MUCH MUCH better than mitsucrappy. I've been burned on two mitsu's now so I pretty much hate anything they make. My STI was a very well built car, just boring compared to a s2k.
Exactly
Old 09-06-2009, 11:18 PM

if i drive like a grammma i can get 26mpg city, 31mpg highway in the S. not too sure about the evo.

but my general feeling is that people come back to the S for the raw driving feeling.

the s is my first manual car so i can't really compare.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:20 PM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

good posts here. i hope you do more research before you decide. you honestly can't go wrong with either car. have u tried posting this same thread on evolutionm.net?
Old 09-07-2009, 01:49 PM

ehhhhhh EVO guys are more douche baggy. In my experience anyway.

I think most Honda guys look up to EVOs and the EVO guys know this. So it turns them into huge douche bags.

I do have friends with EVOs, though.

Iduno. You may or may not get fair opinions from the EVO forums. I find that they seem to be figure that the EVO is better than the S2000 in any contest of speed or any other form of comparison.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:01 PM

Test drive both but i don't think all evos guys will say get a evo. I poseted my CR on evom and got alot of good feed back where alot of them wanted to trade me there evo for my cr. In the perfect world i would have a Evo as a DD and a CR for weekends
Old 09-07-2009, 02:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious,Sep 7 2009, 01:49 PM
ehhhhhh EVO guys are more douche baggy. In my experience anyway.

I think most Honda guys look up to EVOs and the EVO guys know this. So it turns them into huge douche bags.

I do have friends with EVOs, though.

Iduno. You may or may not get fair opinions from the EVO forums. I find that they seem to be figure that the EVO is better than the S2000 in any contest of speed or any other form of comparison.
there's always bad apple in the three

most of the s2k driver give me that arse hat looks when they caught me looking over their ride when i am driving my daily beater miata. They think i must be envy about their ride and what not

it's 2 different car build with 2 different principle, you really have to drive it yourself to make that call. I drove the evo plenty of time(8/9), they don't do jack for me, it feel like a customized car right out of a box. That might be a turn on for some people but the small rough edge just turns me off.

Quick Reply: S2000 vs Evo IX