Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Thinking about buying

Old 03-31-2007, 04:52 AM
E-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying

Hello, hopefully some of you can help me out.

First of all, I wasn't even looking for a car never mind an S2k, but this car came my way and it seems like a pretty good deal so of course now I'm interested. I have a few questions first though.

The car is a red 2005 with 12,900 miles on it and comes with the removable hard top.

I know the previous owner so I know it has been taken care of.

My questions are as follows

1. Is there any known common problems to look for mechanically or cosmetically?

2. Is $22k a good price? Or is that a price you can find any day? I know what KBB says, but that's not always very reliable.

3. The rear bumper fascia seems to be separating from around the quarter panel and tail light on the passenger side. The driver side looks as if it wants to pop out at any moment too. The owner says it has never been hit and I do believe him. He's a friend of mine and has no reason to lie to me.

Here are some pics of what I'm talking about. Sorry my finger got in the way. I'm not used to using a phone to take pictures and that was all I had with me.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:06 AM

My friend,

1. CARFAX the car first, it never hurts.

2. I know he is your friend, but ask for a complete service history - documented. If he cannot provide you with this, ask what dealer/shop he serviced it at and find out from them.

3. I'm no expert but from your pictures there is something that doesn't look right, so, take it to a body shop or the dealer and have a tech inspect the body area in question as well as the rest of the car. This might actually cost you some green but its worth it.

4. TEST DIRVE it. Cover everything, windy roads, rough roads, and the highway. On the highway you will want to check for "out of spec" handling, ie. the car pulls either way when you let go of the wheel, or even while holding on to the wheel, vibration issues, etc. Most people can tell when something isn't "right". Don't be afraid to ask questions if you find something you feel isn't right.

These are amazing cars and at that price, assuming there is nothing screwy, you got a great deal. Keep us updated.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:10 AM

Yes, a body shop or dealership should be able to look at that questionable area and tell you if it has had repairs or not.
It sounds like a decent price so do a little research and hopefully enjoy.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:25 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The rear bumper gap is a known problem. Mostly 2005s had it, but others as well. It will get worse over time. It is a dealer fix item. The car should still be under warranty...have the current owner take it to the dealer to fix. The bumper requires an extra clip...and some have used rivets to keep it from happening again.

Long thread on the subject:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=311610&st=0

At that age and milage the price seems fair. You might find one cheaper but it may have more unknowns than this one you would buy from someone you know.

No real issues at that age to watch for. Ask if he's had the axle hub nuts tighted to 220ft-lb...do so if not...it will save the rear hub bearings. Ask if he has ever over-revved...hopefully he will be truthful. Shifting from 3rd at redline and hitting 2nd is easy and can cause damage that won't show for years. If he admits an over-rev, work with him on replacing the intake vavle retainers...should cost $250-$400 parts & labor at a reputable tuner shop and NOT the dealer. (note: our resident valve retainer expert, Billman250, says that the intake valves are the ones he sees crack from over-rev...not the exhaust retainers...can save a few bucks from having to do both).
Old 03-31-2007, 05:26 AM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

If everything turns up OK on the car then that is a great price. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:53 AM
E-Z

negcamber, thanks for the link. Kind of makes you wonder why it's mostly an '05 issue though? There must be something that can be done to permanently solve the problem?

And no over-revs. Redline, yes, but no missed shifts.
I'll have to check and see if he torqued the axle hubs. Was this a Service Bulletin of some type?

negcamber, your pic shows that you must be an autocrosser. Buccaneer Region??? I currently run a '96 neon in STS trim in the MidGA Region. Unfortunately didn't do so hot at the National Tour last month, but I hope to redeem myself soon. I'm anxious to give the S2000 a go in AS trim.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:06 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

22 grand for an '05 is a great deal imo. Even a plus with a hardtop. DO IT!
Old 03-31-2007, 12:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

assuming that bumper gap wasn't due to an accident (as mentioned above, it is a common problem), and everything else checks out, buy it No real problems with the 05s mechanically.. all the kinks we're worked out long ago..on AP1 owners cars like mine.

the new torque spec on the axle hub nuts was a TSB. Honda upped the torque spec from 180ft-lb (I think) to 220.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah the gap is pretty common i had it when i had my 05
Old 03-31-2007, 02:13 PM

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

I have that bumper gap too on one side. Had the car checked out anyways at the bodyshop and it wasn't in an accident. Might try and get the dealer to fix it though as its still under warranty.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying