Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

unexpectedly back in a S!

Old 01-29-2019, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default unexpectedly back in a S!

Hows it going everyone! its been quite some time but im back! I was lucky enough to be gifted a 2006 SSM from a family friend who just turned 62 and feels hes too old to enjoy the car. Im not new to the s2ki community, I had an ap1 from 2012-2017 and loved it. A nice plus about this car is that I know all the history behind it as this family friend was the original owner. Still debating if I want to keep it or sell it, right now is not the best time for a toy car because I recently bought a house ( the reason I sold my ap1). I talked it over with this friend and he didn't care if I sold it, he just wanted me to have it because I did a lot of the maintenance on it free of charge during his ownership. clean title with 10 matching vins, 103xxx miles all stock. my last s2000 was so much fun to mod and take to the track/autocross but now that im a little older, im thinking about keeping this one somewhat stock and appreciate it in its original form. anyways cheers to being back in an S! the best car ever built (=
Old 01-29-2019, 04:32 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Congrats, you can't beat that deal! If you sell it you should give the family friend the cash, it would be the right thing to do.
Levi
Old 01-29-2019, 04:39 PM

Old 01-29-2019, 04:41 PM

I would definitely offer all of the money to this friend if I decided to sell, I doubt they would accept though. Hes retired and just living his best life now , going on cruises and traveling with his wife.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:56 PM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

I mean... I wouldn't be selling an S2k that just fell in to my lap and was "gifted", especially if I had just bought a house.

little bit of regular maintenance, clean it up, put insurance on it and drive it stock.

No need to mod it, just enjoy the wonderful gift. I'm sure you can bring yourself to take some nice joy rides after work to decompress. The Family friend - as well sounds like he probably leaned your way in the gift due to your previous experience owning one. And likely if they have been around you during your life, they probably saw you give something up, to move your life forward(marriage house kids or whatever they may have seen you go through) and thought you deserve a nice treat for all your self growth, and passing it on to you.

Hey, maybe I read into to much. But I doubt it would hurt you to keep it.

edit: im guilty of responding and not reading the OP, but my response is pretty spot on reading the OP an hour after responding lol.

Last edited by Deckoz; 01-29-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:27 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Makes the most sense to keep it and drive it until you have to sell it for whatever reason. Sounds like you are where you want to be financially. That is a nice car that can be exceptional with not much work. You can have fun with it and refresh it where needed knowing you will be gaining value should the need to sell arise.

Keep it. Gifts like that are once in a lifetime and surely not in mine.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:54 AM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

> Sells s2k to buy house
> Buys house
> Gets given a mint AP2 for free
> “not sure if I should sell it or keep it”...

What the hell? What am I missing here.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle
> Sells s2k to buy house
> Buys house
> Gets given a mint AP2 for free
> “not sure if I should sell it or keep it”...

What the hell? What am I missing here.
Guess it would make more sense if I mentioned that the house I bought needs work, my plan was to buy fix and sell. Needless to say, most of my free time is spent working on the house.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:54 PM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

I'd still keep it until you HAVE to sell it.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:15 AM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by team510
Guess it would make more sense if I mentioned that the house I bought needs work, my plan was to buy fix and sell. Needless to say, most of my free time is spent working on the house.
Yes, true, but you didn't plan on getting a free S2000, so theoretically you could be in the exact position you are now and not have been given the car for free, it shouldn't really have any bearing on you, but obviously it's understandable if you can see it more of a monetary value than something to be enjoyed at this point. I just think it was very nice of the guy to gift you that car, probably because he felt you were passionate about them, saw that you sacrificed your old S2000 to better yourself (buying a house) and wanted to pay it forward to you as a thank you for helping him out in the past. But you said it yourself, if you sold it you'd give him the money.....If he wanted that he just would've sold it himself, ya know? I think it'd be respectful to just keep the car and take care of it. If you'd rather invest in your home, go ahead and do that, but letting it sit there shouldn't take too much out of you, no? If you ever NEEDED to sell it like Steve said below, I'm sure he'd more than understand. But I don't think the car hurts you just sitting there while you handle other priorities, does it?

Ultimately I'm just another guy on the internet, and who really cares about my opinion. It's your car, and you can do whatever you want. That's just a fact. But if I was in your position I'd be overjoyed to have been so fortunate as to have gotten back another car that I enjoyed after I got rid of my first to better myself. I feel like you were rewarded for your hard decision. Enjoy it.

Quick Reply: unexpectedly back in a S!