Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Very close to trading in for an 04 S2K

Old 10-01-2008, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Very close to trading in for an 04 S2K

Hi all, was referred here by another member when she heard I was considering getting an S2000. Been reading quite a bit and have learned so much about this car already!

About me...24, single, living in the Chicago area. Work in Enterprise Technology Systems for the Chicago Tribune.

Currently driving a 2007 MazdaSpeed3 in "True Red". Stock except for tints and the dealer-optional CAI. I am considering doing something "foolish" and trading it in for a 2004 or 2005 S2000.

I really like the Mazda -- it's damn quick, holds 5 people + gear, has lots of standard features, and is a total sleeper. Problem is that I rarely drive it since I take public transportation (L trains) to work each day. The Mazda is more of an errand/grocery getter/weekend car. It's too practical for that, so I am considering dumping it for something I can have a bit more fun with.

I will be test driving one tonight at a local dealer -- 2004 model, bright yellow, 22k miles for about $17900. I do have a few questions I was hoping some people could clear up before I make a huge commitment to a car that's vastly different from what I've owned over the years (usually sporty FWD hatchbacks).

1. Comfort in poor weather...
Is the car insulated well when it gets cold? We have some nasty winters here, and temps get below freezing a lot. It's a small interior obviously, but if the convertible leaks a lot of heat that is not very desirable.

2. Drivability in poor weather
I love snow tires, and I'd obviously get a set. But I am not used to RWD, or a car without stability/traction control. The F22 obviously sits very low and far back in the chassis, meaning the moment of inertia is low...the car will want to rotate quickly and easily (less so in the AP2, apparently). Is it going to be bad-news-bears when things get messy? I don't drive often, but there are always those times when you absolutely have to.

3. Long-term reliability
Owned an Acura Integra GS-R before and the thing was bulletproof. Only problem I ever had was a noisy tranny bearing at 90,000 miles. I would assume the S2000 is a very proven platform, but have seen the soft tops wear down after a while. What other things should I expect out of an AP2? I am pretty anal about maintenance, FWIW. I'd get an extended warranty on the car just in case.

4. Law enforcement
I don't speed, though I do enjoy rowing the gears when I can. The Mazda is pretty quiet, even at WOT. The S2000...not so much. Does this car just attract police attention? The Mazda doesn't...looks like a ho-hum hatchback. I HATE it when cops just tail me for a mile waiting for a mistake or something stupid.

5. Safety
Noticed the car only has two airbags. No side, no curtain, nothing like that. It's a tiny car too, so I'm guessing it'd get smacked around pretty bad if someone hits it. I can't seem to find any crash test ratings for the car. My Mazda has a dickload of airbags and other safety features like EBD, and it weighs about 350lbs more.

Any other info you'd like to provide to a prospective owner is of course appreciated. Likes/dislikes, complaints, or whatever else you think I should know.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Comfort isn't usually a word that comes to mind when one is considering an S2000, but in this case I'd say you're okay. You could opt to buy a hardtop, I had one in the winter and it was much better/safer. They cost a pretty penny but they're worth it.

2. There is some weather this car cannot handle; bottom line. If you have no other means of transportation when it snows you might want to reconsider this purchase. When I drove mine in the snow it was absolutely all over the place...extremely scary. In the rain though it's perfectly fine.

3. My friend has over 150,000 miles on his S2K and you'd think it was new if you were in it. It might be a roadster, but it's still a Honda. Take care of the car, and it will take care of you.

4. I don't think it attracts cops...I mean if your car is really loud a pick-up truck could attract a cop. If you're speeding, you're speeding. Only thing I would say is that the car is very light and very easy to have fun with so you might get out of hand and break the law more than you're used to

5. I don't think side airbags and curtain airbags are possible in a soft top vert. The car is less safe than yours, of course...but it's a risk you have to take if you decide to buy it. It got good crash test ratings though.

This was my first RWD car too, and I learned pretty quick. Winter is rough, but otherwise it's the most fun you could have for the price. Plus, it's not bad on gas at all.

Good luck
Old 10-01-2008, 11:12 PM

no winter here..but i tell ya what..this car loves to spin! (well i have the ap1)

its fun though, its controllable so just take it to the limit a few times on really empty places.. slide it @ low speeds..whatever, just to get a feel. i was really suprised at when it would kick the ass end out....as i came from a v8, i didnt think it'd be as violent as my SS camaro..

it was MORE SO then the camaro without torque! lol

now that i know, i can keep a lid on it tho
Old 10-02-2008, 06:17 AM

Good to know. Safety is important to me -- I am a safe driver, but there's plenty of dumbasses out there that could be drunk or not paying attention.

As long as the car is civil in the cold I'll be fine...as I said, I don't drive to work so it's mainly just for bumming around town and cruising on the weekends.

I went and looked at a yellow 2004 last night but the dealer was a total jag. They had this really poor attitude about how hot the car was and how they're in no rush to sell it (despite the fact that it's getting cold here in Chicago and that market is shrinking quickly). They also started up with those stupid games involving the trade-in price sliding versus the car purchase price. Oh and it was not in as good of a condition as they made it out to be.

CarMax offered me more on my trade-in just down the street, and they're transferring a red 2004 from a nearby location. It's a 2004 with 25k miles, factory lip/skirts/spoiler. They want $19998 for it. Going to check it out today or tomorrow.

Thank you again for the insight...I appreciate your candor and helpfulness.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ IMO red is much nicer than yellow anyway.

Dealerships will never tell you the truth about a car, if it's in good condition, they'll say it's in good condition. If it's not, they'll still say it . I think you went at the wrong time to tell you the truth, you went on the 1st of the month. Wait until Halloween, it's the last day of the month...car dealerships are always MUCH more inclined to make a deal.

Good luck
Old 10-02-2008, 08:00 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

if you are concerned with safety I wouldn't be too worried about it. The s2000 I believe is rated at 5 star. I know of a lot of people who have wrecked bad in there s2000 including flipping it a few times and most everyone just walked away with out a scratch. One of the things I like about the car
Old 10-02-2008, 08:29 AM

Still have to look at the physics behind a crash...S2000 is small and light. I'd much rather have a bigger vehicle in a crash.

The whole "1st of the month" thing is why I sorta prefer CarMax. It truly is no-pressure. Sales guy just lays it out on the table. No funny business.

Still might just sell the Mazda, sit on the money for a while, then wait until the tail end of winter to buy.

Is it foolish to try and get an S2000 during the winter? Or will dealers be more inclined to move it off the lot?
Old 10-02-2008, 09:35 AM

Diamond Motorworks in Naperville, IL (www.diamondmotorworks.com)has a yellow 2005 with 17,000 miles for sale for a bottom-line price of $19,800. I was seriously considering it but found one closer to home (Philadelphia). From the photos on their website it looks very clean, and seems fairly priced.

Good luck!
Old 10-02-2008, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by seeker97,Oct 2 2008, 09:35 AM
Diamond Motorworks in Naperville, IL (www.diamondmotorworks.com)has a yellow 2005 with 17,000 miles for sale for a bottom-line price of $19,800. I was seriously considering it but found one closer to home (Philadelphia). From the photos on their website it looks very clean, and seems fairly priced.

Good luck!
I'm planning on buying a S2k very soon, and since I live near Chicago I went and checked out this one. One of the cleanest S2k's out there. I would buy it, but I plan on getting a black one. The dealership is hard to find, kind of in the back of an industrial lot. They had like 4 or 5 Supra's in mint condition, and a Ferrari 355 parked in front of the S2k. All their cars are kept in a large garage, very nice.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:20 AM

Weird, that dealer is hidden across the street from one of the high schools. I grew up in Naperville, actually.

I'd be curious to see what they do on a trade in.

Quick Reply: Very close to trading in for an 04 S2K