Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Went from 350z to S2000

Old 10-19-2013, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went from 350z to S2000

Hello S2Ki.com,

In July I bought a New Formula Red 2007 S2000. I live in New York and I went to New Jersey to find one. I drove it home the same day, top down, and got some sunburns. Thus began my adventure with a roadster. I previously drove a Nogaro Red 2008 Nissan 350z 6 speed which I really liked, but lost it in a flood. Hydrolocked, interior flooded, and water above the wheel wells. Chalk it up to inexperience and bad luck. So why did I pick the S2k and not another Z? I was having buyers remorse with the Z, and was bothered by its engine and frame which were shared by a number of non-sports car Nissans. Almost like the Z was frankensteined together with parts from Sentras and SUVs. It also felt very heavy. I've been used to heavier vehicles like pickup trucks and Camaros, but I expected my Z to feel more nimble like how my 240sx or CR-X used to feel. So I looked at several high performance cars, and I drove 3 different S2000s. In the end, I would have been happy with a Vette, or a Porsche, or even a WRX, but I just had to try owning an S. And it had to be red again. I think I really fell in love with the idea of owning an S2000 when I watched the episode of Best Motoring International when Gan-san tested the AP1 S2000 on the Nurburgring track at blistering fast speeds. Then again, same show, with the J's racing S2000 that passed an NSX race car on Tsukuba, that engine note slayed me. I lurked on this forum a bit to read about differences between the AP1 and AP2, and I ultimately wanted the larger wheels and better suspension. Since owning my S, I've commuted back and forth to work every week day, and took some trips upstate. I even went camping with it. The tent, sleeping bag, and most everything fit either in the trunk or the passenger seat XD. I've changed the brake lines to stainless steel, installed brembo brakes, Stop tech pads and painted the calipers. The H on my steering wheel was peeling so I cleaned it up with thinner and glued a Type-R badge on it, which looks much better IMO. I plan more mods in the near future. Any recommendations? Also, you think I'll be okay to daily this in the NY winters?
Thanks for reading!

Pictures:

First mod:

Old 10-19-2013, 07:25 PM

Congrats and welcome--nice looking ride. Do you like it a lot better than the Z?
Old 10-19-2013, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by jtsimaras
Congrats and welcome--nice looking ride. Do you like it a lot better than the Z?

They're different from each other.

First the cons: The 350Z had a very nice engine with torque in the lower RPMs, so I've had to relearn driving with the S. It's a good bit smaller inside, almost claustrophobic and is fairly loud with the soft top up. Coupled with thinking about a custom exhaust, I'm worried I'll lose my hearing! As a daily driver, the Z was probably easier to live with commuting.

Now, the pros:
When I gunned the Z, it started vibrating and felt like the car would fall apart around 6,000 rpms. The S2000 sings up to fuel cut off, and feels much more solid. I've driven gas karts before and that's the level of control I have in the S, the handling is the best I've ever experienced. The transmission is much easier to shift so that alone sold me. You get a shift wrong in the Z and it bucks like a will bull. My Z wasn't a roadster, it was a coupe. I love having a convertible.

In my opinion, the Z is a great car, but the S achieves the same performance with 70 less horsepower.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Maze2k
Originally Posted by jtsimaras' timestamp='1382239529' post='22836473

They're different from each other.

First the cons: The 350Z had a very nice engine with torque in the lower RPMs, so I've had to relearn driving with the S. It's a good bit smaller inside, almost claustrophobic and is fairly loud with the soft top up. Coupled with thinking about a custom exhaust, I'm worried I'll lose my hearing! As a daily driver, the Z was probably easier to live with commuting.

Now, the pros:
When I gunned the Z, it started vibrating and felt like the car would fall apart around 6,000 rpms. The S2000 sings up to fuel cut off, and feels much more solid. I've driven gas karts before and that's the level of control I have in the S, the handling is the best I've ever experienced. The transmission is much easier to shift so that alone sold me. You get a shift wrong in the Z and it bucks like a will bull. My Z wasn't a roadster, it was a coupe. I love having a convertible.

In my opinion, the Z is a great car, but the S achieves the same performance with 70 less horsepower.
Very nicely put....I came from a Tuned 375 HP WRX STI AWD animal and I don't miss it at all.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:31 AM

For me, i made the opposite move. I went from a S to a Z. The S is a more fun car, that's a straight up fact. I would get 16 mpg or less in my S because I was driving like it was meant to be driven. I would downshift, hit vtec everyday and basically play racer in the S (also, you need to downshift to pass on the freeway due to the lack of torque lol) and it was downright fun. But for someone who needed a daily driver, the roughness of the S was too much despite the fun. It was cramped, very small and the ride was rough as hell. Not to mention loud from the road noise, couldnt even hear my radio. I enjoy music and peace and quiet on tired days.
The Z felt like luxury after my S. But they are quite different and catered toward different needs. The S is more fun. The Z is more comfortable. I chose the Z because I like the look better, it's a happy medium for someone who wants power, torque, acceleration AND comfort for daily driving.

But the grass is always greener on the other side for me. There are days when I crave the S but most days I'm thankful for the Z due to the comfort and the torque. Also love the sound of the Z's VQ.
Can't go wrong with either car though! If I had the money to buy a dedicated track car, I would not even think twice about getting a S. Someday I will get it as a second car.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:58 AM

Enjoy the Z! I've been thinking of ways to make the S more livable. Sound Deadening material, different tires, maybe a cupholder lol. Mostly I just put up with it because it's so much fun. I'll never forget my first drive in an S2000 (It was GPW, I was gonna buy it but waited too long) and the first thing that stuck out to me was sitting in it reminded me of 350Z, which is how I picked up driving it so quickly on the test drive. I just liked the driving position and the road feel. And the push start...and the digital tach...and the automatic drop top...etc etc
Old 10-20-2013, 01:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from a 300ZXTT 550hp to an NA S2000 and now I have a S30 280Z with turbo motor swap. Loved all of them. The S2000 is extremely well built and special.

Very nice car. I think you might need new top straps or manually move the bar to fold your top in lower.

If you want an exhaust that sounds and looks like sex, isnt too loud and doesnt drone Tanabe Concept G with test pipe. That with a Fujita CAI and youll love every sound your car makes.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Whoabitchin
I went from a 300ZXTT 550hp to an NA S2000 and now I have a S30 280Z with turbo motor swap. Loved all of them. The S2000 is extremely well built and special.

Very nice car. I think you might need new top straps or manually move the bar to fold your top in lower.

If you want an exhaust that sounds and looks like sex, isnt too loud and doesnt drone Tanabe Concept G with test pipe. That with a Fujita CAI and youll love every sound your car makes.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll do some research on them. As for the top, I think I might not have hit the button all the way for that pic, I need to double check.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:34 AM

Car looks clean congrats, I would absolutely get a winter rat.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:32 AM

This is as far down as the top will go:

Quick Reply: Went from 350z to S2000