Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

When the new wears off

Old 08-13-2009, 06:29 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default When the new wears off

Hi folks,

Your friendly neighborhood Chazmo here.

I was just musing this morning over the end of the S's 10-year model run and it got me to thinking...

I've been daily-driving my S for years now, through lots of highs and lows. Seen some pretty lousy weather and crappy roads. I've taken it on long distance drives. I've been to many group drives and gatherings. I've tracked and autocrossed the car. I've replaced the top and seat cushion under warrantee and those problems have re-appeared. I've got year-old crud caked on in the interior because I never get around to cleaning it.

In short, the S has been my driving companion for over 7 years. The new is gone, but my affection for this car is as strong as ever. Times change, interests vary, but it seems to me that a great car is always a great car.

When the S came along, I knew I was going to get one. I'd had a Miata for 10 years, and a Fiat Spider before that, but the S was a clear goal for me. The Miata was the first reliable sports car I'd ever seen, and it set the tone because it was a wonderful machine, but the S captured me.

The "S" has been and continues to be my kind of car. It fits me like a glove. It has no bells and whistles. It has all the technology I ever wanted (and none I don't want). It feels like it's part of me.

Long live the S2000. It's hard for me to imagine a car I could love more.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats very cool that you stil have yours after years of driving and stil loving it, are you original the owner
Old 08-13-2009, 07:21 AM

Thanks! Yes, I'm the original owner. i was really lucky. I only had to wait about 1.5 months for it to arrive after I ordered it (MY02 was the first year of Suzuka blue, which I still really love). The dealer was able to trade for one within his network rather than wait for one to arrive from Japan.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Aug 13 2009, 09:29 AM
The "S" has been and continues to be my kind of car. It fits me like a glove. It has no bells and whistles. It has all the technology I ever wanted (and none I don't want). It feels like it's part of me.

Long live the S2000. It's hard for me to imagine a car I could love more.
Can't say it much better than this I haven't had mine nearly as long as you've had yours, but I know exactly what you mean. Every ride in the S is a true joy for me! I also had a Miata before the S, and it was a great sports car, but the S has a much different personality and driving experience -- and I it.

I recently sold my first '02 S2k and replaced it with a garage queen (same year and color combo). I plan on keeping the new one until I can't get in and out of it anymore, then passing it on to my daughter if she wants it -- she just turned 1 in June

! Viva S2k !
Old 08-13-2009, 05:57 PM

Chazmo, haven't seen you around the boards in a while (at least not where I hang out). You used to be a regular here in intro, in fact you were the first to welcome me several years ago when I made my first post here. Great testimate to the S2000, what a terrific car and great community.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:00 PM

Greetings again, 8ball. Yes, I don't hang around the board much these days (I used to moderate this forum once upon a time)... But good to see you around.

Best wishes, and may you enjoy the S for many more years to come.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:23 PM

After now driving mine for 2 weeks as of today, I can see very quickly why you feel this way!
Old 08-14-2009, 01:46 AM

Well said
Old 08-16-2009, 02:45 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Hi Charlie, how many miles do you have now?
Levi
Old 08-16-2009, 03:08 AM

Received 709 Likes on 434 Posts

Great thread, Chaz.

Quick Reply: When the new wears off