JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

Jdm quality?

Old 04-22-2011, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pwjdm intake is the best? you trying to say that asm copied pwjdm? you must be high. why didn't you mention the rattle, fitment, and finish? you probably don't know how many people complained the pwjdm intakes in s2ki and 8thcivic.
and mugen intake is a joke? mugen was the company that participated in F1 and JGTC. please go check what amuse s2300 gt1 has used.

some jdm parts are overpriced, but you totally underestimate jdm tuners like mugen, asm, etc.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:28 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteflash
The PW:JDM is the best performing intake on our car, last I checked they're out of California. You lose power and gain heatsoak with the ARC, the mugen is an overpriced joke, and the ASM is basically a PWJDM (although the secondary is smaller) at ~3.7x the cost ($3700).

The Hytech header are the best performing headers on our cars that I've seen for N/A and S/C'd applications.

The Asura duals are the best dual exhaust on this car, period end of story. (Sideways gained 30whp+ in his turbo setup by switching from an already 3" exhaust, the Invidia q300 to the Asura duals, just to give you a hint).
The Hytech header(s) available are definitely nice, no doubt about that. i'd definitely consider them if i were in the market for a header. But the PW:JDM intake is just a copy of the ASM intake (not the other way around) with oversized parts...and it's also overpriced for what it is. Not to mention the quality is sub-par. Using the ASM intake as a basis on pricing isn't fair because all their parts are overpriced! I personally have a stock header and intake and choose to leave it that way because i think building this engine for n/a power just takes way too much money for the WHP numbers that you get in return. The asura exhaust is cool that it makes a lot of power on Sideways' car, but probably less than 1% of s2k owners would run that exhaust on an n/a car since it would be too loud--and it's not very good looking either. Anyhow, on topic, i think any thread asking for opinions & reasons for purchasing something is just asking for a heated debate because everyone's got their reasons.

For sake of this thread, i'll specifically answer the questions for my own car:

My question is though, since I assume most of the people visiting this forum like jdm stuff, why? I like certain JDM stuff because it has the form and function i prefer.

I mean is it because the S is a Japanese car? partially.

Or is it just because Japanese tuners are so serious which leads to very focuses products? partially this as well.

But Japanese products are usually more expensive too, so is it worth it? sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Usually it's only worth it if i can get the part used and buy at the used price.

And most importantly, do you have anything against American products? nope

Or, if given an equal quality product at a cheaper price, would you go for the cheaper one even if it isn't from a Japanese tuner? most definitely--if quality and price were the only factors. Design is usually a factor that matters to me just as much though.

Personal reasons per part that i own:

Downforce wide Fenders:
Decided to go with Downforce because they actually make pretty good quality stuff and the price is decent. Didn't go with other wide fenders in the same price range (VIS, Seibon, Challenge) because i didn't like their designs or some other reason. VIS is not bad but the fitment probably would be off. Seibon is just an ugly, off copy of the ASM fenders. Didn't like Challenge because i didn't like the fender extension onto the bumper.

Berk HFC:
Local in Orange County and got hooked up for helping them out. Even without a hookup, their price is still very good and has good reviews for quality and performance.

ASM front and rear bumper:
Like the design and got them used at an awesome price. Could have bought new replicas at 1/2 the price i paid for the used versions, but they usually don't fit well and aren't as good quality.

Volk wheels:
Like the design and quality. Got a good price for a brand new set with a cash pickup from a local vendor. Replica wheels are about 1/3 the price, but quality just isn't matched, not by a longshot. I'd also consider CCW and BBS wheels but just got a good deal on the volks.

Greddy SE single:
Good balance of cost, power, quality and looks. Got a great deal on a new system, but this exhaust is low cost at retail price anyway. it's a full 70mm for good power, manufactured in house at greddy for good quality and good lucks with fully polished SS piping, machine welds and a Ti Tip. I'd also consider an HKS exhaust in the same price range, but anything else i just don't like the looks, quality or it would be too loud.

Bride Stradia reclinable seat:
Bit the bullet and paid over $1000 for this seat and rail because i couldn't find an equally good looking, comfortable, quality reclinable seat that fit into the s2000 as good. Replica seats are out of the question as this is safety item. Sparco and Recaro make reclinables, but they aren't "reclinable buckets" and the sparcos available are pretty ugly. The only other reclinable buckets that fit in the s2000 that i know of, are all copies of the Bride stradia or gias.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000vtecvtec
pwjdm intake is the best? you trying to say that asm copied pwjdm? you must be high. why didn't you mention the rattle, fitment, and finish? you probably don't know how many people complained the pwjdm intakes in s2ki and 8thcivic. and mugen intake is a joke? mugen was the company that participated in F1 and JGTC. please go check what amuse s2300 gt1 has used.some jdm parts are overpriced, but you totally underestimate jdm tuners like mugen, asm, etc.
They address the fitment and rattle. That is no longer an issue. You're correct PWJDM copied ASM; and increased the size of the secondary chamber, my fault I'm at work and a bit cloudy headed. Unfortunately no I am not high... yet

Because you participate in a race, doesn't mean your product is any good. That simply means you participated in a race. Dyno graphs using expensive JDM parts make me laugh like hell, because they're under performing at ridiculous costs.

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
The asura exhaust is cool that it makes a lot of power on Sideways' car, but probably less than 1% of s2k owners would run that exhaust on an n/a car since it would be too loud--and it's not very good looking either.
I own the Asura exhaust. Looks are subjective. I'm assuming your avatar is your car with the greddy(?) exhaust. I think that look is horrendous; small circular tips in a wide oval frame, not to mention it's a single (). It looks out of place whereas this looks elegant in my eyes. Looks are always subjective. I'm sure you think yours looks good.

I'll go ahead and answer the same way as you:

Asura 3" Exhaust:
Because there simply isn't a better performing exhaust that I've seen, that meets the oem style and sound that I wanted. It's gains are incredible ESPECIALLY under boost (which I intend to S/C).

Asura 3" HFC:
Read above.

Comptech Header:
This was a bit of settling. Unfortunately I do mod my car for most power with legality. The header options are well, slim in CA. It met CARB standards; but it also is a 4-1 design which is optimal under boost. It's a little underperforming on a N/A application, but if you read my SAE corrected sig; I'm hardly complaining.

K&N FiPK:
Practically same as above. Mostly due to legalities. The AEM was unattractive due to CAI design, and the comptech... eh I don't like how it didn't use the stock positioning for the ram air effect. This of course will change when I put in the snail.

Hondata Flashpro:
You'd have to be stupid not to get this on an 06+
Old 04-22-2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by whiteflash
Originally Posted by Chris_Lum' timestamp='1303522117' post='20498300
The asura exhaust is cool that it makes a lot of power on Sideways' car, but probably less than 1% of s2k owners would run that exhaust on an n/a car since it would be too loud--and it's not very good looking either.
I own the Asura exhaust. Looks are subjective. I'm assuming your avatar is your car with the greddy(?) exhaust. I think that look is horrendous; small circular tips in a wide oval frame. It looks out of place whereas this looks elegant in my eyes. Looks are always subjective.

I'll go ahead and answer the same way as you:

Asura 3" Exhaust:
Because there simply isn't a better performing exhaust that I've seen, that meets the oem style and sound that I wanted. It's gains are incredible ESPECIALLY under boost (which I intend to S/C).

Asura 3" HFC:
Read above.

Comptech Header:
This was a bit of settling. Unfortunately I do mod my car for most power with legality. The header options are well, slim in CA. It met CARB standards; but it also is a 4-1 design which is optimal under boost. It's a little underperforming on a N/A application, but if you read my SAE corrected sig; I'm hardly complaining.

K&N FiPK:
Practically same as above. Mostly due to legalities. The AEM was unattractive due to CAI design, and the comptech... eh I don't like how it didn't use the stock positioning for the ram air effect. This of course will change when I put in the snail.

Hondata Flashpro:
You'd have to be stupid not to get this on an 06+
I was commenting on the round-tipped version as far as not looking appealing. I don't like the muffler design either, prefer rolled end caps. The oval tips don't look bad, but looks very stock-ish to boot, which isn't my cup of tea either. Further, i'm not a fan of the dual exhaust on our cars, looks balanced, but a dual an a 4cyl is unnecessary, which is why i have a single and installing a ASM single outlet bumper soon. But very true, looks are subjective, it's funny that you like how your exhaust fits the oval cutouts in the oem bumper yet use black exhaust caps that look horrendous and just exaggerate the exhaust openings to look enormous and less oval. Not very elegant in my eyes, but to each his own.

What's the EO# on your asura HFC? i wasn't aware his was legal, i might have to swap mine out. I would have purchased an asura HFC in the first place, but the person from Asura who responded to my PM didn't leave a good impression with me so i bought the berk and called it a day. Not sure if Asura himself answered my PM or not, but it didn't seem like it because i've met Asura in person and he's a very nice guy.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:33 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. Lots of insight here!

And while I can see how dynos of jdm parts might be a bit sad given the price, I think the fitment for their products is really good, so maybe you are paying for some of that. I'm not really into buying replicas just because I feel like it's morally wrong. I want to look at the Hytech and Asura stuff now though haha.

I'm curious why all the JDM tuners used their style of intake as opposed to a tube intake like AEM or one like the K&N FIPK. I can see the AEM one being a problem since it has hydrolock issues, but besides that they all use the same carbon fiber design. I mean carbon fiber might look nice, or at least expesnive, but I don't really see the point of making the engine bay look so prettied up for a part that's barely going to add power, especially when it's going to make the part cost so much..
Old 04-22-2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Synderesis

And while I can see how dynos of jdm parts might be a bit sad given the price, I think the fitment for their products is really good, so maybe you are paying for some of that. I'm not really into buying replicas just because I feel like it's morally wrong. I want to look at the Hytech and Asura stuff now though haha.

I'm curious why all the JDM tuners used their style of intake as opposed to a tube intake like AEM or one like the K&N FIPK. I can see the AEM one being a problem since it has hydrolock issues, but besides that they all use the same carbon fiber design. I mean carbon fiber might look nice, or at least expesnive, but I don't really see the point of making the engine bay look so prettied up for a part that's barely going to add power, especially when it's going to make the part cost so much..
You're already on the right track if you are not into buying replicas

I'm guessing the CF designs are used partially because it's the 'cool' and also because they are more or less race parts, where weight is a factor. They could have used fiberglass or injection molding as alternative options, but who knows why they chose CF--was weight & strength the only factors? Certainly fiberglass has to be cheaper to use, but of course weighs more and won't be as strong. I know GoTuning always says ASMs prices are so high partially because they want to make the highest quality part they can, using the best technologies available, no matter the cost. Hence the crazy stuff like a dry CF business card holder and the duralumin tow hook.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
Originally Posted by Synderesis' timestamp='1303529582' post='20498568

You're already on the right track if you are not into buying replicas

I'm guessing the CF designs are used partially because it's the 'cool' and also because they are more or less race parts, where weight is a factor. They could have used fiberglass or injection molding as alternative options, but who knows why they chose CF--was weight & strength the only factors? Certainly fiberglass has to be cheaper to use, but of course weighs more and won't be as strong. I know GoTuning always says ASMs prices are so high partially because they want to make the highest quality part they can, using the best technologies available, no matter the cost. Hence the crazy stuff like a dry CF business card holder and the duralumin tow hook.
While I admire their focus and dedication to high quality parts, with that kind of mindset, it seems like their parts are really only viable for people who have more money than they know what to do with. Don't get me wrong, I really really like their parts. But, if they're going to slap carbon fiber on everything for a few pounds and a few hp at the expense of doubling the price, that just doesn't make sense if you're on a budget, even if it's a very large budget.

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 04-22-2011, 08:46 PM

agreed, but that's only ASM mind you. While other jdm companies are high priced, they aren't nearly as overpriced (mostly). Mugen's aero parts are all expensive but they're all dry carbon and only a bit more expensive than ASM's fiberglass parts. I'd be more than ok with paying Mugen's prices for their quality.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

J's 70RR.

Nuff said... although I would love to have a Siren Circuit for daily driving.

RE: CF, per the president of Opera performance, "In Japan, there's nothing cool about leaving those carbon-fiber pieces unpainted. "
Old 04-23-2011, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by psychoazn
J's 70RR.

Nuff said... although I would love to have a Siren Circuit for daily driving.

RE: CF, per the president of Opera performance, "In Japan, there's nothing cool about leaving those carbon-fiber pieces unpainted. "
Haha I'd love the Siren Circuit except the price is outrageous on that thing. I think I'll probably go with the ASM 70mm since it's supposed to still be pretty quiet.

And I totally agree with that. I don't like leaving carbon fiber parts unpainted, although for the hard top it's kind of okay. But, while there's nothing cool about leaving them unpainted, there's also nothing cheap about painting them

Quick Reply: Jdm quality?