JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

What's the "best" import mag?

Old 05-16-2005, 03:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sport Compact Car for me
Old 05-18-2005, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SCC is definetly at the top. Other magazines focus to much on products put on a car rather then the function the products produce. Isn't that what JDM is all about, Function over form? Not anymore I guess.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Highrpmek,May 19 2005, 02:41 AM
SCC is definetly at the top. Other magazines focus to much on products put on a car rather then the function the products produce. Isn't that what JDM is all about, Function over form? Not anymore I guess.
Why are you so bitter?
Old 05-20-2005, 12:01 PM

I may be a bit bitter because I use to be a fan of JDM products, when the focus was improving the car and using parts as a function, did you know that at car shows they offer awards for "Best JDM" That's terrible, that's not what JDM is suppose to be about. J's makes aero kits for the car to handle better, not to be gawked at in a convention center. The scene is really going downhill. I recently had a member judge me based on the magazine features my car has had, how pathetic is that. I don't car about magazine features, I care about that 1-2 seconds I've been trying to shave from my lap times, or my standings in SCCA. Cars are meant to be driven, not photographed or put on display, let's no lose sight of that.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Highrpmek,May 20 2005, 08:01 PM
I may be a bit bitter because I use to be a fan of JDM products, when the focus was improving the car and using parts as a function, did you know that at car shows they offer awards for "Best JDM" That's terrible, that's not what JDM is suppose to be about. J's makes aero kits for the car to handle better, not to be gawked at in a convention center. The scene is really going downhill. I recently had a member judge me based on the magazine features my car has had, how pathetic is that. I don't car about magazine features, I care about that 1-2 seconds I've been trying to shave from my lap times, or my standings in SCCA. Cars are meant to be driven, not photographed or put on display, let's no lose sight of that.
I have to disagree with Best JDM being terrible. Maybe I'm partial because I just took home a Best JDM trophy I don't think having a Best JDM award looses track of the fact that the car's meant to be driven. I think it's more of an award of how well your car was put together (ie quality, how well everything coincides with eachother, and unfortunately probably how much you've spent) and the fact you've waited for parts to arrive, found them, and is a testament to a commitment. Judging based on a number of magazine features is bad. I have to agree there.

-Chris
Old 05-20-2005, 01:51 PM

Understood, and I guess also since everyone suggest Modified Mag. as a good magazine, so I picked one up, featured Dxlst's (Leo) car. Read the article, TERRIBLE, the editor hadn't any clue about S2000s. It was obvious he didn't do much research, or even worse, he doesn't proof read his stories before they are printed. At one point he mentioned the F22C with higher torque and a higher redline (8000rpm) than the F20C. Pretty sad I think. I don't know a whole lot about every car, but it's not my job too.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Highrpmek,May 20 2005, 09:51 PM
Understood, and I guess also since everyone suggest Modified Mag. as a good magazine, so I picked one up, featured Dxlst's (Leo) car. Read the article, TERRIBLE, the editor hadn't any clue about S2000s. It was obvious he didn't do much research, or even worse, he doesn't proof read his stories before they are printed. At one point he mentioned the F22C with higher torque and a higher redline (8000rpm) than the F20C. Pretty sad I think. I don't know a whole lot about every car, but it's not my job too.
Leo was in Modified? Don't they deal primarily with FI cars? Unless he has some and I wasn't aware of it (which is a distinct possibility). Oh well......too bad he had a sloppy article. I'd be a little pissed

-Chris
Old 05-20-2005, 05:17 PM

Yeah, I'm almost positive it's his car, the owners name was Leo, berlina w/ mugen HT, J's half spoiler and he had the ARC intake.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Highrpmek,May 21 2005, 01:17 AM
Yeah, I'm almost positive it's his car, the owners name was Leo, berlina w/ mugen HT, J's half spoiler and he had the ARC intake.
BBS LM1's (if I remember correctly) ?

-Chris
Old 05-21-2005, 08:41 AM

I'm a big SCC fan. I get Super Street, SCC, Honda Tuning for "modifying", and I also subscribe to Motor Trend, Car and Driver, and Top Gear.

I've been disappointed with Honda Tuning as of late. They're running a lot of articles that were already in SCC.

Quick Reply: What's the "best" import mag?