JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

who prefers what?

Old 01-25-2007, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who prefers what?

hi all- i am new to the s2000 world...just picked mine upo last week and am ready to start working on it. just checking in to see favorite p[arts people have used from intakes to exhausts to as far as surperchargers ot a turbo. aem or comtech intake? need to start somewhere-where should i start and with what?!?!?!?!? thanks all!!!!
Old 01-25-2007, 06:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as intakes go, either the AEM V2 or the K&N seem to be the best performers. Personally, I would recommend a short ram intake with a duct to the front grill. The cold air intake doesn't give as much HP as a short ram because the air has a much longer distance to travel. The short ram/intake duct combination gives you fresh cold air, which has a shorter duration to travel. Exhaust wise, if you're looking for a good amount of power, you're probably going to spend over $1,000. A better way to go is a custom exhaust if you have a shop around you that knows what they're doing. 70mm (a little over 2 3/4") seems to be the best for NA cars horsepower wise. If you know you want a forced induction setup, a 3" exhaust is the way to go. Headers and a test pipe will also give you a lot more power. Another good addition is a bored out throttle body and port matched intake manifold. There are way too many turbo setups out there to list. The lovefab kit is a great way to go, because it gives you all the parts you need. On the supercharger side of things, most people seem to be running a Vortech setup. My buddy has a bored, stroked, Vortech supercharged, and Nitrous'd S2K that makes well over 500whp. Hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^covered the bases quite well

Cold air intakes range in price and effectivness, but people tend to like the Comptech, AEM V2, and K&N FIPK's the best.

Exhausts...you'll get 100 different opinions here, but dyno proven, a 70mm single will outperform anything else, if you stay N/A.

Header...J's, Toda, Tracy Sports, Rick's, Mugen are all good choices.

Above all else, an ECU tune is necessary to fully reap the benefits from any modification, and even vital to tuning an otherwise stock car. A VAFC is the cheapest route, and allows enough tuning of your AFR's and VTEC engagement to be worthwile. The Greddy E-manage ultimate is another popular choice, and the great googa-mooga of ECU tuning would be the AEM EMS, but that's an expensive route.

A lightweight flywheel improves throttle response. Krank vents actually do work, and are good for your engine, Lighter pulleys get mixed reviews, but can't hurt...

That pretty much sums up N/A tuning. I'm not a boost guy, so I'll leave that aspect up to them.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:22 PM

the j's intake is waaaaaaaaay better then any aem intake.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:35 PM

How deep are your pockets? lol see the 160pg NA tuning thread in the JDM tuning(the one you're in right now lol). J's or T1R header 70mm exhaust if you make it past that then good but most seem to stop there.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:46 AM

wow- thank you everyone. that is exactly what i was looking for. there seems to be alot more parts for s2000s now and i was looking for what you have seen to work best-Thank you! now i would like to say i am accepting donations for the build of my s2000.....just ask for my address and ill let you know where to send the money tooooo!!!! lol
thanks again all!
Old 01-26-2007, 07:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^we're all accepting donations to the mod-my-s2k fund
Old 01-26-2007, 08:03 AM

and only accept cash

Before you start putting $$$ into the car. Take some time and get used to it in its stock form (this is typically somewhat hard to do ).

Then decide what you want to build it for i.e. track, drag, street, show, full race, etc. Then set some goals for the final outcome, what is your target HP (this will help decide to go turbo or stay NA), Is handling just as important, throttle response and so on and so on.

This will help save you money in the long run. Heres how:

Say you decide to stay NA (but your goal is 350 WHP) You go and buy a J's 70mm exhaust, J's test pipe, AEM EMS, J's Header, and J's intake. You have just spent over $5000.00, You head down to the local dyno and after some more $ spent on tuning you realize you are not even close to 300HP . Getting a Supercharger or Turbo would have been a better route for you .

I love NA cars and really just want to make my car more fun to drive and track capable, while still being a daily driver. I have no regrets on purchasing the K&N FIPK kit, Test pipe, Mugen Header, Toda Exhaust.

Good Luck and welcome to S2KI
Old 01-26-2007, 07:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I would say he's right, you have to decide on what you're building the car for before doing ANY mods. I got a Spoon intake when my car was strictly a show car -- it looks cool as crap, but adds 0 hp. After taking it off I felt like I lost maybe 3-4whp at speeds above 60 mph, but not enough to really hurt. But if the car was strictly show, I'd probably go with that again, I love the way it looks on a Spa S2000.

So know why you're building the car and do a ton of resarch before you sink a ton of money into an S2000, they are difficult cars to build. Parts are expensive (if you go JDM), and it is darn near impossible to get an NA S2000 to be a fast drag car.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

CWestin - Multiple people have done extensive dyno testing, and the AEM V2 has proven to be the best intake HP wise. Personally, my K&N short ram with an air duct to the front bumper has given me the best gains. Also, after a debate with friends about a 70mm vs 3" (76mm) exhaust, I went with a 3". This got me more peak HP than a 70mm, and I didn't lose anything in the midrange. Ultimate NA combo for peak HP and hugely increased midrange is short ram intake w/air duct, 70mm throttle body, port matched intake manifold, J's racing header, test pipe, 3" exhaust, and a well-tuned AEM EMS.

Quick Reply: who prefers what?