Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Dan Adkins (roflcopter) Update / Recovery Status Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dan Adkins (roflcopter) Update / Recovery Status Thread

ALL UPDATES WILL NOW BE AT http://www.carepages.com/carepages/dadkins/

Any further updates will now be at http://www.carepages.com/carepages/dadkins which Erin will be updating whenever there is news. Since I know Erin and the family are reading this. Thanks for all the updates guys! I can't wait to read more about Dan on http://www.carepages.com/carepages/dadkins and his road to recovery.

Update - April 5th - AM

---------------------------------------

Dan is currently improving and he is now walking a bit with help, all the well wishes are appreciated and the family is reading all the good well wishes. Keep them coming because it seems to be working!

Note: My updates are going to be slower, I don't expect to hear anything until i get down there this weekend. We are trying to slow down visiting him due to his recovery and we need to prevent him from getting too confused at this current point. However anything major that I hear, I will be sure to make a update.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR PRAYERS AND GOOD WISHES!

Update - April 4th - AM
-------------------------
Taken from Dan's dad's facebook... with a small edit in regards to Dan being moved out of the ICU

Keep the Faith: Today, Dan was relatively awake. He is making great progress with plenty more ahead of him. Keep the prayers and support coming. Hug your loved ones.
He is now off all tubes, sitting up, reading name tags, and eating! He was moved out of the ICU last night.

Some Dan stories of the day:
Diana says: "hey Dan, can you tell me what my name is?". Dan: "Jerk". Diana [chucklin...g] "that's not my name!". Dan: "how about Jerkapotamus". Diana: "OK, you can call me jerkapotamus".
Erin leaving the room: "say bye and say my name Dan". Dan: "Bye, say my name". Erin and Diana start singing "♪ ♫ say my name, say my name ♪ ♫". Dan chimes in with "♪ ♫ say my name, say my name ♪ ♫". Girls continue with more singing of the song. Dan: "you know too much of that song".
(yesterday) Mom: "Dan, since you're not feeling well, I gave away the tickets to Thursday's Caps game". Dan: "You Jerk".

The neurologist said he had the equivalent of 100 concussions and his brain and body are resetting. the drugs must have suppressed all of his inhibitions and he is a jokester while he tries to put memories back together.

April 3rd additional update

------------------------------

I also forgot to say something! Yesterday a doctor came to visit Dan. He was talking to the attending and asking things like. “How is he doing?” “Is he responding to commands?”. The attending said yes he’s doing good etc.

The doctor looks in and says, “HEY DAN!”, Dan responded with a loud and annoyed, “WHAT”. The doctor then proceeds to tell him to put his left leg up on the bed because it had fallen off. At that point Dan lift his leg above the bed and puts it back down and continues to sleep.

The doctor then looks over at the attending and with tears in his eyes, he says, “HOLY SHIT”. The doctor then introduces himself to Dan sister as the doctor that first treated Dan and admitted him.

… he seems to be surprising everyone. GO DAN!

April 3rd, 2012 Update

---------------------------

Yesterday was a positive day. Bree and I got in around 7:00 and went in to visit Dan. I greeted him with, “Hey buddy” and he turned his head over to me and threw up the peace sign. Also he kiddingly threatened to beat Bree up if she left. We all understand that Dan is still recovering. However it was a relief to hear Dan speak to us and respond to some questions.

At this point we need to make sure that he is not over stimulated and overwork his brain during his recovery. He is still in the cardiac unit and has not been moved yet. Keep up the good thoughts and prayers guys/gals!

UPDATE - April 2nd - AM

-----------------------------------

Good morning everyone! I have some fantastic news…. The doctor’s have taken the breathing tubes out so Dan he is breathing completely on his own. He’s much more comfortable without all those nasty tubes in him. Another amazing thing is that he is speaking! He has said “hello” as well as he has been blowing air kisses!!!

Dan’s recovery is going to be a very slow process. The doc’s are monitoring him closely and trying to keep him from being over-stimulated. Many of you have expressed your desire to send Dan a card, flowers or balloons. At this time he cannot have flowers or balloons. However, if you would like to send him a card, please send me a message and I will give you my address. We are asking for everyone to send their cards to us and we will hand deliver them to Erin so she can read them to Dan.

Thank you so much for all of the prayers and thoughts! Dan and family greatly appreciate them!

Update - Sunday Afternoon - April 1st

---------------------------

Update: The neurologist informed the family today. That Dan's recovery in comparison to the signs on friday is a miracle. He is now officially on the road to recovery. The doctors have ok'd all of his physical therapy. They are going to take out the breathing tube since he can breathe by himself now and he has motion in all of his extremities. Right now dan needs to rest and heal, and we will inform people when the families are going to take visitors. We still need to send dan our good wishes and prayers. He is nowhere out of the woods yet. However we can breathe a little easier now with this fantastic news. Keep on praying and go and keep on sending good wishes!

Update - Sunday April 1, 2:01

------------------

He is responding to commands such as give thumbs up or put up two fingers or to squeeze someone’s hand. However he only does these things sometimes. He has also responded with shaking his head yes or no and there have been moments where he has opened his eyes. He is now breathing by himself. It’s a positive sign but it is by no means any indication how the next couple of days will end up.

Update: Sat March 31

--------------

Last night Dan opened his eyes, however it was not known if it was a involuntary response or just a reflex.

He is still on a respirator however he is breathing above it at this afternoon

The family is aware of this thread and are watching it and conveying the messages to Dan and Erin. They send you their thanks for all of your well wishes, prayers and good thoughts

Orignal Post

-------------------

I have some bad news regarding Dan Adkins (roflcopter). There is no easy way to break this news, especially about a person as friendly and loving as Dan.

Dan is now in a coma.

On Wednesday (March 28, 2012), Erin (Dan’s fiancée) came home from school and found Dan unconscious and she couldn’t find a pulse. Erin immediately called 911 and started to perform CPR on him. Paramedics came and rushed him to the local hospital and restarted his heart. Procedures were performed in order to do everything humanly possible to increase his odds of survival (Cooling therapy, etc).
Yesterday through today he was taken off of the sedatives and warmed back to normal temperature. There have been no changes to Dan currently. It is not the time yet to make any hard decisions. However these next 48 hours are very critical and important.
This is where I am asking, pleading, and begging our strong s2ki community to send good thoughts, pray, and keep Dan, Erin and their families in our minds and hearts these next few days and wish for his recovery.

As you might expect, Dan and Erin’s family are under tremendous stress and overall exhausted at this current point from taking shifts for these last 3 days. So I ask of everyone, please use this thread or contact me personally and I will relay the messages personally to Dan and Erin.

Some Extra information

What led to Dan’s heart stopping was a lethal arrhythmia, not a heart attack or a stroke.

Dan was only unconscious for 10 minutes per the last messages made on gchat and when Erin found him.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

No way!?! Tell them I hope he gets better and my thoughts are with him and their family.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. I don't know him, but that is terrible to hear for anyone. Praying that all goes well.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am saying a prayer for him. While many of us are cursing not winning the lottery today, we sometimes don't focus enough on what we have.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:19 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I pray for Dan and a full recovery.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didnt know him but I'll keep him in my prayers.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:31 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

We will be praying for him.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:26 AM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

I am praying for a full recovery. Dan is good people.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:29 AM

Received 766 Likes on 457 Posts

I don't even have words other than I hope for a quick full recovery
Old 03-31-2012, 06:47 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd only met Dan a couple of times, but that doesn't matter. He's family around here. Best wishes to his family and him.

Thanks for the update, cow.

Quick Reply: Dan Adkins (roflcopter) Update / Recovery Status Thread