Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

A Fast Lap Around Summit Point

Old 11-15-2010, 07:21 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Default A Fast Lap Around Summit Point

While filling out my "Speed Secrets" debrief form ( http://robrobinette....ummit_Point.pdf ) I realized I'd benefit from writing a narrative of how I get around the track. The following is my description of how to get the best out of an S2000 on Summit Point's Main circuit. In November of 2010 I turned a 1:21.80 lap using the following techniques. The following info can also be seen on my website at: http://robrobinette.com/S2000SummitPointLap.htm

A Fast Lap Around Summit Point

Turn 10

A fast lap around Summit Point Main begins and ends in Turn 10. Because it leads onto the start/finish straight you must get it right twice to turn a good lap. It is by far the most important corner on The Point not only because it leads onto the longest straight, but because it's a high speed corner that leads onto the longest straight. Ross Bentley, in his "Speed Secrets" series of books, describes how the speed differential between a good driver and a great driver will be greatest in high speed corners where skill and bravery separate the men from the boys. The speed differntial between a good and great driver in a slow tight corner will be two or three miles per hour where the difference in a high speed corner can be over ten. So make Turn 10 your initial focus.

Summit Point Turn 10 Entry @ 95mph (TraqMate GPS speed)

Don't try to late brake Turn 10. Most drivers will be quicker if they brake a little earlier and easier than they normally would. This allows you to get the down shift completed and focus on your entry speed. Braking early will also ensure the car is settled when you turn in. Entry speed is paramount for Turn 10. It's very common to realize after turn in you could have carried more speed.

After passing under the center of the bridge on the approach to Turn 10 you'll be approaching the corner from the center of the track so make sure you start the turn at the outside edge of the track. A common error is to cheat toward the apex before the entry because the tack begins to turn right before you should. Turn in needs to be smooth to keep the car settled and as soon as it is it's time to smoothly add full throttle--usually well before the apex. Of course this depends on your car's power characteristics.

Many of the turns at Summit Point have repair patches that arc along the proper racing line near the apex. Use these "arcs" to analyze your turn in and line through the corner. If you are inside the arc moving outward you turned in early and are heading off track. If you find the concrete arc to your inside you turned in late. If your outside wheels are tracking along the arc you can use that to boost your confidence in your line and add throttle earlier.

Turn 10 Apex @ 91mph

At the apex your inside wheels should touch or ride over the curbing. The Honda S2000 will spin its inside rear wheel at full throttle if too much curb is taken. A car with a more robust differential can actually use the dirt on the inside of the curb. At turn exit put at least two wheels on the red and white painted "dragon teeth"--the bumpy apron. If you get the corner just right you'll have all four wheels on the apron, it's wider than you think. Use a slow lap behind traffic to put all four wheels on the apron to see just how wide it is. You need to use this part of the track to maximize your speed through Turn 10.

Turn 10 Exit @ 99mph

If you do happen to go off in Turn 10 the gravel trap will normally stop you without damage. If you go off at corner exit the transition from gravel to dirt along side the track is normally well groomed and can be managed to smoothly move back onto the track without incident. Some do this on a regular basis without lifting.

Use the Front Straight to take a few deep breaths, wiggle your fingers for a lighter grip on the wheel, and check the engine instruments for health.

Turn 1

Turn 1 is a relatively slow, downhill increasing radius turn that leads to an uphill acceleration to Turn 3. The uphill climb makes exit speed in Turn 1 important. You must late brake and trail brake Turn 1. The S2000 needs trail braking to get the front grip to rotate into the corner. If you're not quite sure you'll be able to make the turn then you're not braking late enough.

Turn 1 Entry @ 64mph - A smooth turn in is critical

Many complain of understeer followed by oversteer in Turn 1. A common mistake is to turn in abruptly which leads to understeer, then the front end regains its grip about the time you're adding throttle so the car moves directly into oversteer just before the apex. You can prevent this with a smooth turn in and throttle application.

Turn 1 Apex @ 49mph

You want to just touch the curbing at the apex but too much curbing can lead to inside wheel spin and loss of acceleration. High horsepower cars will benefit from a slightly late apex which will allow earlier throttle application. Track out should not be reached until the skid pad access road. A common mistake is to turn in too early which requires throttle feathering as you approach track out. You must turn in to allow full throttle acceleration from the apex out to minimize the impact of the long uphill acceleration.

Turn 1 Exit @ 88mph - Use the access road

Turn 3 (there is no Turn 2)

As you exit Turn 1 smoothly move to the right side of the track. A straight line from Turn 1 exit to Turn 3 entry will shorten the track. Turn 3 is a tricky, blind, uphill corner that will make you smile in your helmet when you get it right. I personally believe this is the second most important corner on The Point. A slightly early apex is usually the fastest way through Turn 3. The most common errors in Turn 3 are over braking and late turn in. The braking zone is steeply uphill and you'll loose more speed than you're expecting. Again, brake a little earlier and lighter than you normally would so you can focus on entry speed and a smooth turn-in. Do this and the car will be more settled for maximum cornering grip.

Turn 3 Entry @ 100mph - Smooth, early turn in

A technique for learning a high speed technical turn like this is to brake very early and light and purely focus on a fast entry speed and smooth turn in. This will keep your subconscious from overriding your right foot and braking more than you really want. Once you're comfortable and you can consistently get through the corner carrying good speed slowly work on later braking.

Like Turn 10 the track will begin to turn before you should so make sure you're at the outside edge at turn in. I begin my turn in just before the access road joins the track from the right. Look for the concrete patch arc on the racing line to judge your line and smoothly feed in full throttle. Due to the steep uphill entry you can get on the throttle earlier than you would think. The fast line will have you crossing the arc patch from inside out toward the exit curbing. Be careful taking apex curb here, too much will upset the car just as you're cresting the hill and the car is at its lightest--be ready to correct for a little oversteer here in any case.

Turn 3 Apex 2 88mph - Steeply uphill - Watch the crest

At turn exit you should have your outside wheels skirting or even in the gravel trap. If you do run through the trap don't freak out, the track will turn back to you and the transition from gravel to dirt is smooth so you can normally drive out at high speed without incident. BSR driving instructors intentionally drive through this trap at high speed during training to prove that it's not the end of the world.

Turn 3 Exit @ 91mph - In or near the gravel

Turn 4 "The Chute"

Turn 4 Entry @ 104mph - No trail braking here

Turn 4 is the fastest turn on the circuit. It's downhill into a narrow valley lined with tires. Spin here and it's difficult not to do some serious damage so temper your aggression in The Chute. I do not recommend trail braking into Turn 4. There's a bump just after turn in which will loosen the rear end and trail braking can quickly lead to severe oversteer. A light tap of the brakes or just a smooth feather of the throttle before turn in will keep the car stable at turn entry.

Turn 4 Apex @ 103mph - Summit's highest speed corner

I turn in where the outside of the track begins its bend to the right. Be very careful with the inside curb. If you get the turn right you'll be on the absolute edge of traction at 100+ mph and a bump from the apex curb can cause everything to go to shit very quickly. After feathering the throttle before turn in I smoothly go back to full throttle and hold it until I track out at the left edge of the track. Just as the car is straightened it's time for hard downhill braking for Turn 5. Do not slow and move to the right side of the track for the Turn 5 entry, you'll be much quicker if you keep your speed through Turn 4 and enter Turn 5 from the left side of the track. Keeping left will also prevent a competitor from stealing the inside line into Turn 5.

Turn 4 Exit & hard downhill braking @ 105mph

Turn 5

Turn 5 Entry @ 72mph - Lots of positive camber so carry speed

Turn 5 has a nice positive camber that will allow you to trail brake heavily and carry more speed than you would think. If you're not sliding the car on entry you're not carrying enough speed. If you over cook the corner and begin to spin lock up the brakes early and you'll slide harmlessly into the infield. Lock the brakes late and you can hit the inside wall--don't ask me how I know. When you get the corner right you'll go directly from braking oversteer to throttle oversteer as you accelerate into Turn 6.

Turn 5 Apex @ 49mph

Even though you entered Turn 5 from the "wrong" side of the track you normally won't need to go all the way out to the outside edge of the track at corner exit. I usually end up about 3/4 of the way out toward the exit. Turn 5 is something of a low speed "throw away" corner but you can and should carry good speed through it. It's very common to over slow at turn entry. Another common error is not using a short full-throttle blast from Turn 5 exit across the track to Turn 6 entry.

Turn 5 Exit @ 57mph & a full throttle blast to Turn 6

Turns 6, 7, 8 and 9 "The Caroussel" & "Esses"

Turn 6 Entry @ 58mph - Trail brake here

Turns 6, 7 and 8 are all about maximizing Turn 9's entry position and speed.
Turn 9 is another high speed corner leading to an uphill straight. Depending on who you ask it's either the second or third most important turn on the track. When you get this set of turns right you will be accelerating hard from Turn 6's apex all the way through Turn 9.

Turn 6 Apex @ 51mph

Turns 6 and 7 are really just one big double-apex turn--the exit of Turn 6 is the entry point for Turn 7. After accelerating hard out of Turn 5 to cross the track, trail braking into Turn 6 will help rotate the car but don't over slow, you should be sliding a little at turn in and feed in throttle to keep the tail out through The Caroussel. I have to miss the apex curbing by a foot or two to avoid some bumps that cause inside wheel spin (thanks for the suggestion Pete). Use the arc repair patches to guide you through these turns.

Turn 6 Exit and Turn 7 Entry @ 61mph

From the apex of Turn 6 I accelerate at full throttle which pushes the car out toward the edge of the track. Coming off the throttle for the shift to third allows the car to stay on track close to the outside curbing, but don't use the outside curbing here, it has too much negative camber and not enough grip. Once in third gear I smoothly and immediately go back to full throttle. When I get the corner right I can stay at full throttle and still get the car to turn in to clip the curb at the Turn 7 apex. Other times I have to feather the throttle to transfer some weight to the front tires to get the car to rotate toward the apex.

Turn 7 Apex @ 68mph

After clipping the curb at the Turn 7 apex it's time to begin slowly and smoothly unwinding the steering wheel and going from a tail left slide to a tail right slide to clip the curbing at Turn 8. This should be done in one smooth movement of the wheel, there's no need to pause and straighten the the car. You want a nice late apex at Turn 8 so you're set up for a shallow turn in to Turn 9.

Turn 7 Exit and Turn 8 Entry @ 74mph - Keep the transition smooth

You will need another smooth transition as you go from a left slide through Turn 8 out to about 1/3 of the track toward the Turn 9 entry point at the left edge of the track. There's no need to pause and track straight toward the Turn 9 entry. Your steering input should take you from a left slide to a right slide as you begin your turn in for Turn 9.

Turn 8 Late Apex @ 81mph

Turn 8 Exit @ 84mph

A slightly early apex is the fast way through Turn 9. After the apex you will be crossing the arc patch toward track out. The inside curbing is smooth and should be used but be aware of the "hole" after the apex where the inside curbing ends.

Turn 9 @ 86mph - Smooth early entry

Turn 9 Apex @ 89mph

There's a bump after the apex that may require an oversteer correction and the track drops off into negative camber from about the middle of the track out to the exit curbing. You can use the exit curbing but be careful, it has even more negative camber than the track and it abruptly ends just beyond the normal track out.

Turn 9 Exit @ 98mph

At track out aim for the center of the bridge which will line you up for the entry into Turn 10. Don't forget, don't try to late brake Turn 10--focus on entry speed and a smooth turn in.

TraqMate data plot for the 1:21.7 lap

Rob Robinette

To see these techniques in action see this youtube video of my Honda S2000 turning a 1:21.8 lap around The Point:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjz-kapmMZ8 [/media]
Old 11-15-2010, 07:46 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Good Stuff Rob

Old 11-15-2010, 08:11 AM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

Great write up and thanks for the effort put into this. Added to the Mid-A notes thread.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=166729
Old 11-15-2010, 08:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent turn-by-turn instruction, Rob!
Old 11-15-2010, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome write up, Rob. I need to keep this for next years' track day.
Thanks.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:58 AM
Community Organizer

Received 663 Likes on 417 Posts

Nice, very informative
Old 11-15-2010, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you do one for Shenandoah please?

- Newb
Old 11-15-2010, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well done Rob. Put it on your website!