Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > North America East > Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners
Reload this Page >

Need some info on the N. Virginia area

Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Need some info on the N. Virginia area

Old 11-30-2004, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some info on the N. Virginia area

I visited the Arlington area for Thanksgiving and liked the Arlington and Alexandria areas. Job wise it would be a good move for me to be in proximity of DC, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Maryland and New Jersey. However, house prices are crazy in these two areas. My criteria of a single family house, 4 bdrms, 2 baths were starting in the 450+K range. I wanted some opinion from you folks about what other cities to do research on in N. Virginia area, like Fairfax, Reston, Annandale, Woodbridge etc I am looking for reasonable house prices, good school district, low crime rate usual things. Please point me to websites that may be of help also.

Help an Upstate NY brother out ....

Your help is much appreciated!

Thanks.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:11 AM

You can try looking in the Montgomery County area in Maryland. I grew up there, and the school districts are pretty good.. lower crime rate than most in this area. Mainly in the Rockville/ Potomac area. It's about 15 minutes to DC from Rockville with Metro acccess too. Columbia is an up and growing area. Most places in Nova are really over priced in my opinion.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:16 AM

how much commuting do you like to do? to save any kind of $ on a house that big, you'll put it all on your car... and your time.

my .02, suck it up and pay for the location you really want, you'll pay for it anyway. or, rent. i'm torn right now, i need to buy a house just to live in but at these prices i think it's a bad investment.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:40 AM

I know my friend ended up buying a single family out in Frederick, MD. Its about an hour out ... but the area seems nice and the home prices were a lot lot cheaper.

In my area, single family homes that are new construction are starting in the low 700s ...
Old 11-30-2004, 11:51 AM

Partly depends on what kind of work you want. If you want to work for an IT company that has the Federal Gov't as a client, you want NOVA. If you want to work for the Gov't, you want to be close to DC. If you want medical/biotech, you want MD.

- Jeremy (jnn4v)
Old 11-30-2004, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by 4theheckof_it,Nov 30 2004, 04:11 PM
You can try looking in the Montgomery County area in Maryland. I grew up there, and the school districts are pretty good.. lower crime rate than most in this area. Mainly in the Rockville/ Potomac area. It's about 15 minutes to DC from Rockville with Metro acccess too. Columbia is an up and growing area. Most places in Nova are really over priced in my opinion.
I agree that Rockville/Potomac, MD is nice, partly since I'm from (and still am in) that area. Montgomery County public schools have a great repuation too. But prices here are crazy. I haven't been keeping up with the real estate prices recently, but I think for $450k, you'll probably only find a nice townhouse in this area.

You can check www.homesdatabase.com for listings...

Jean
Old 11-30-2004, 01:07 PM

in the back of your mind...

Va pays tax on auto every year, percentage of assesed value above some base value. it was being phased out and that value rose every year, then they figured out how much they revenue the state was losing and postponed phaseout. percentage varies by county, when i was in Prince William County it was 3.7% above 12k i think.

Md pays a locality tax on income as well as state and federal.

where you work in relation to where you live for drive, i.e. direction of major, travel/lack of travel beltway parking lot, availablilty of train/metro, parking costs, etc. should also be considered.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:13 PM

DON'T come to Fairfax County. Not like it's a bad place, but house prices are going to kill you. Welcome to sitting in traffic for an hour or more to go 15 miles!

Good luck!!
Old 11-30-2004, 06:03 PM
Gold Member

Reston is a cool area. And so is Chantilly. I lived in Both
Old 11-30-2004, 07:33 PM

fairfax county is one of the 'richest' counties in the country. property tax will kill you.

anyways, i recommend checking out prince william county. its adjacent to fairfax county (to the south) BUT the house prices are much cheaper. you can buy some very nice homes for about ~$250-300k. hell, some townhomes in fairfax county cost $300k!!!!!

Quick Reply: Need some info on the N. Virginia area

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands