Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Track Days 2019 - No roll bar

Old 02-25-2019, 05:38 PM
Jub

Received 386 Likes on 309 Posts
Default Track Days 2019 - No roll bar

I have been autocrossing for the last few years and would like to try out a track day this year. I would like to run on a nice, fairly large track with decent runoff. I will also only run with an organization that mandates that all beginners have an instructor with them in the car. My challenge is that I do not have a roll-bar. I've done some searching and it seems like VIR is out of the question, at least on the main circuit. Some organizations, like BMW club, will not allow you to run without a roll-bar regardless of which track the event is held.

I'm in the Baltimore area and would like to be within 2-3 hours at most. Does anyone know of any track days scheduled for 2019 that will allow an S2k with factory safety to run?
Old 02-26-2019, 04:05 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Do you have a hardtop?

How about NJMP with NASA NE?
Old 02-26-2019, 03:12 PM
sy8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last I heard, Summit Point allowed factory roll bar setups. PCA and Audi Club both run convertibles there, iirc.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:38 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Add a couple hours to your trip and join us for the TakeOver's at NYST and also one at NJMP.

Information here www.s2ktakeover.com
Old 02-28-2019, 05:02 PM
Jub

The S2k takeover events sound pretty great for me. How is the Thunderbolt course at NJMP and what is the max speed on the straight like in an S2k? What is the runoff like? Any nearby walls to key turns? Are open face Snell approved helmets ok at NJMP (I see closed face required at NYST)? I also just want to make sure that any club I run with will allow you to really open up the car. I don't want to run paced laps or anything like that. I'd want to be driving at my own pace with an instructor. Obviously passing will be limited and there will be some traffic but I have no intent of doing parade laps.

NYST looks pretty great too but I'm not sure if I'd be willing to make the drive. It would mean I'd need a place to stay and am pretty far from home (5+ hours) if I were to break anything. Thank you all for the information.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:22 PM
Jub

Originally Posted by freq
Do you have a hardtop?

How about NJMP with NASA NE?
I don't have a hardtop and while I'd love an OEM one, that won't be happening any time soon.

I didn't search super hard but didn't find info on NASA's convertible rules. Any idea if they'll let a soft-top car run with factory protection? For the record, I'm about 5'7 so shouldn't be a huge risk with factory protection and should pass the broomstick test I'd hope.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:25 AM
Community Organizer

Received 663 Likes on 417 Posts

The risk is more based on the instructor that will need to ride with you. The rules change all the time though so I would just ask before you register for any event.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

even on tracks where they will allow stock S2K, you'd still need to pass broom stick test, and for most mature men, this means no good as well.
I bought my S2K not aware of this issue, and it basically rendered me out of track days (still love the car though)

Boxters and R8's are designed with the driver located deep within the chassis, so no roll cage is necessary (i.e. easy to pass broom stick test)

Would love to find out how wrong i am, so far, i've proved to be correct.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a bit of a problem in that the only track around DC that allows no roll bar is Summit Point on the Shenandoah circuit. However this circuit lacks run off room in many of the corners. It is a fun track. Just take it easy and stay shinny side up.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:19 PM
Jub

Thank you all for the feedback. I think that I may do an SCCA Track Night In America at Pittsburgh International Race Complex. It's in the middle of the week in May but relatively low fees, 5 or less hours away and looks like an awesome track. I welcome any feedback ton the track itself. I think I'll go on the May 22nd date if anyone else is interested. I'm in a stock 06 on 245/255 RE71R with a Karcepts front sway bar. I'll probably get some brake pads before the track day as well. Hope to see some other S2k representation out there!

Quick Reply: Track Days 2019 - No roll bar