Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Homework integration

Old 11-25-2007, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homework integration

This is just an expansion or refinement of a process that already goes on here to a certain extent. I think with the right implementation it can provide a lot of valuable information to the forum.

Cthree or whomever can select a given number of stocks we then as a community vote on through a poll which we want to learn more about.

We can form a list of willing persons and choose randomly or through a rotation system who does a "book report" on the stock assigned to them. I think it'll be a better learning experience if we are assigned a stock and are not able to choose from those selected in the poll.

We'd need to figure out how many stocks we'd want to analyze as a group and in what timeframe. That will probably best be defined after we realize how many people are willing to put in some effort. For example, if we have 20 willing persons, I'd think 5 stocks a week would work out well since that's only 1 "book report" per person monthly. I know I do 10 or more a month on my own anyways. 5 stocks a week organized in to a sticky of some sort would provide an excellent frame of reference for newbies as well as a great source of information for more experienced investors.

Lastly, we'd need to agree on the rough format of what each stock analysis should include, any key growth rates, international exposure, balance sheet topics, management success/history, etc. Sources would also be required.

I am obviously willing to take part and don't mind some extra effort to get the ball rolling. Any comments/criticism is welcomed and if you do reply to this thread, include whether you are willing to be involved or not
Old 11-25-2007, 06:53 PM

Im down as I was to learn more about stocks/investing/etc. I know how to look all the aforementioned items up, so that wont be a problem.

-Matt
Old 11-25-2007, 07:00 PM

It's a cool idea... I just wonder if my own research and conclusions should be given the same weight as other more experienced investors.

Even if you're talking strictly about fact-finding, you still can't remove personal bias: the "selection effect" will cause people to emphasize those figures which support their internal preconceived bias.

Of course, even if a report is strongly biased, it will still make a good opener for discussion, which would probably be even more useful than the report itself.

- Warren
Old 11-25-2007, 07:49 PM

I considered those points Warren and that's why I'd prefer the random assignment of stocks. The odds of a person having too strong of a bias before doing research is fairly low. As you mentioned, any bias that a person does seem to commit is probably due to their research which in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing. If they didn't come to any conclusion what so ever on if the stock is good or bad under some kind of circumstances, they probably did a poor job of researching it.

As to the "weight" per say of your research, the level of quality will mostly be defined by the criteria we as a community decide upon and whether it's fulfulled rather than the individual's experience.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like it. One person does some work and gets to share in the work of many others. It's a great way to pool resources.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:28 PM

Sounds like fun.

Heck, somebody might even make some money from it.

(Hope it's us!)
Old 11-25-2007, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Throw up some tickers for us to vote on!
Old 11-25-2007, 10:43 PM

I'll try my best tomorrow, I have no idea what my schedule is going to be like but it shouldn't be any worse than usual.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been mulling the same thought for a few months. Thank you for putting words down. I'm in.

Should we apply a standardized process in our reporting? A master list of reference material, expected statistics, and general reporting format will ensure some parity in the information.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Throwing my current portfiolio into the mix:

AAPL
GRMN
RIMM
X
CREE
RIO
FCX
FLR