New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

9/11

Old 09-11-2008, 04:34 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default 9/11

Just remembering the lost. NOT POLITICAL.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

7 years today
Old 09-11-2008, 05:40 AM

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,652 Posts

What a sad day that was. Our country was changed forever.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:00 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Sep 11 2008, 08:40 AM
What a sad day that was. Our country was changed forever.
Quite so.

I was working in Ireland when the attack happened. I couldn't believe what I was seeing on the TV. Ireland closed down, literally all the business, that Friday in rememberance. I took some comfort in the friendship of the people there, but it was hard. And, the Irish were no strangers to this kind of thing...

Anyway, remembering... Sigh.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were having breakfast in a hotel in Nashville, expecting to visit a Civil War battlefield and get us some Krisoy Kreme donuts before returning to the airport for a 6:00 pm flight home. I first saw a report of a fire in a building, but didnlt get where it was as I past by the lobby while bringing stuff out to the car. As we sat down to eat, we learned a plane had hit the north tower. Had to be an accident. I went to the bathroom and when I came back, my wife said she just saw the southtower get hit.

I knew we were under attack and wouldn;t be flying hoke. We decided to find a book store, get a road atlas and cahrt a course home. We sopped for lunch at the Ohio border and told called the car company to tell them we would not be returning the car in Nashville as planned, and where would they like it in the Springfield MA area?

Ohio was surreal. The radio jerks were telling people to stock up on gas and crying doom and gloom. The gas stations were jacking up their prices and there was an air of impending panic.

We made it to Buffalo NY that night and grabbed a few hours sleep. Coming into NY, we were seing big signs that Mahattan was closed and were being passed by big militarty earth movers.

We got home early afternoon the next day, returned the rental, took the car that was home to go to the airport to retrieve the other car. The next day, we went to the kennel to get the dogs. The one memory of that part of the trip was Laura Schlessinger reaming her music guy for playing John Lennon's Imagine as some intro music.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:07 AM

Received 3,594 Likes on 2,427 Posts

I was working at a start up in Tewksbury.
small space ~200 employees.
One of the guys came in a little later than the most and said a plane had just hit the towers.
one of the guys tried jump on CNN.com and then msnbc.com.
something was obviously up because none of the servers would come back.
We all huddled around a radio one of the guys near the window had.
it became obvious pretty quickly what was happening.
We had a holiday inn across the parking lot and most of the company shifted to the lobby bar.
Eventually management sent everyone home to be with their families.
My kids got home from elementary school at the normal time.
They knew something was happening but the schools had shut down any information flow to the kids.
Explaining the news was one of the tougher times of parentage.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was still in college at the time. I had a 9:30 AM class, and a clock radio as an alarm clock. When the alarm went off at 8:45, I remember the first thing I heard was the DJ say that a plane had flown into the World Trade Center, and that there was no other news. Then they went to commercials. Meanwhile, my first thought was the story back in the '40s when an airplane flew into the Empire State Building by accident. So I was thinking "Ok, who's the idiot that couldn't avoid the biggest pair of buildings in Manhattan? I didn't know it was a commercial jet, I thought it was some recreational pilot.

So I got up and went online to the news websites. (I was a geek, I got my news online.) But something seemed odd when the news sites had no "main" article posted. I figured it was headline news, but I had no idea.

So I went and took a shower. I came back, and the news web sites had even less. So I turned on the TV. I never (then or now) watch TV news because it's too sensationalized. But I then saw the image of the first tower, smoking horribly like it was, and I was quite surprised. Just then, the second plane hit, and that's when everyone figured it out, including myself.

I continued to get dressed in a bit of shock. I was sitting on my couch, tying my right shoe when the first tower collapsed on live TV. I just froze. Jaw open, still holding my shoelaces, and just an icy cold wave of dread. I was getting ready to go to class (which was still not cancelled) when the second tower fell.

Up until that point, I was just a bit nervous with the constant flood of thoughts and images. But when the second tower fell, I got pissed. Really pissed.

All I remember walking to class, across the UConn campus that morning, was seeing people standing around, talking, crying, cell phones, and the words "tower" and "plane." Since I had just turned off the TV, I realized none of the people outside knew the buildings had collapsed. I kept walking, by myself, angry.

I'm still angry. Sad and angry.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:25 AM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I was getting ready for work and had the radio on when news of the first
plane crash was announced.

I immediately turned on the tv to see that image that will forever be burned
into our minds...that billowing smoke pouring out of the first tower that was hit.

I called work to tell them what was up, they tried getting on the internet to
see what was going on but no one could get any information it was just too
overloaded with everyone else trying to find out what was up.

So, I ended up staying home and basically was on the phone to my work
telling them what was going on as it happened on cnn.

We will never forget what happened on this day 7 years ago and we should
all take a moment to reflect on it and pray for the families of the people
that were lost, no matter what is done, their pain may never be gone.