New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Coming to Boston / Where to stay?

Old 03-14-2017, 05:37 AM

Received 784 Likes on 434 Posts
Default Coming to Boston / Where to stay?

All-

Any help appreciated. The wife and I are coming to Boston in mid-October. We're spending a few days at Acadia, then stopping in Boston on the way back to NJ. Expected to be Wednesday to Saturday.

Looking for ideas on where to stay. Our focus is currently around Back Bay/Copley Square. Prices seem a little cheaper, and there's some apartment style places vs. traditional hotels. The train has a stop near the library, so access to the rest of town shouldn't be too difficult.

We'll likely be doing the normal Boston touristy stuff - Freedom Trail, Historic stuff, maybe a day cruise and general exploring of the city.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My choice would be Marriott Long Wharf, this will put you smack in the middle of everything, Faneuil Hall, North End (Mama Maria's and Modern Pastry), and short boat or walk to USS Constitution, and you are right on the water (great sunrise).
In BackBay/Copley I've stayed at the Lowes Boston Hotel on Berkeley (nice) and at the Boston Park Plaza (OK). Great area, to stay in, lots of things to see and do, and a little further from the stock tourist sites.
Skip the T, Boston is a great walking city, you can get from the waterfront to Copley/Newbury St (High St shopping) in under 20 minutes, but you will want to take your time and stop at many of the great historical sights or bars along the way.
Hope this helps and you have a great trip.
Cheers
Old 03-16-2017, 07:06 AM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

What he said Marriott Long Wharf, stay downtown so much to walk to!
Old 04-15-2017, 02:43 AM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

I have not lived in Boston since 1978, but, if I had to choose a location, it would be Long Wharf. I'm biased. Back in the early 70's I was the project manager on the rehab of the Custom House Block and the Gardner Building on Long Wharf and Harbor Towers on India Wharf. The Chart House restaurant occupies the Gardner Building. One of the bits of information about the Gardner Building is that it is the oldest, brick, waterfront structure in the United States. Two of the original joint venture partners in the building were John Hancock and Captain Oliver Noyes, the builder of the wharf. Hancock had his import/export office on the second floor of the east-most bay and the center bay had a manual storage lift in it. One of the difficulties of rehabing the Custom House Block is that it was originally built in phases, bay-by-bay in the early 1800's. So, it would up with 179 windows in 173 different sizes. That was a pain in the ass.

A bit of background on the Marriott is that it's largely built on the old piles and foundation of the historic Quincy Cold Storage warehouse complex. The concrete floor in the old Quincy Cold Storage building was 9' thick.

One feature of being on Long Wharf besides it's historic nature and local pub-n-grub is The New England Aquarium. Just head south out of the Marriott and you'll be there in less than 5 minutes.