New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

CT DMV

Old 12-12-2008, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CT DMV

I got my self a winter beater finally! to take the S off the road...

I have the bill of sale, and the registration(old), and my insurance.

The person has lost the Title. Is there any way I can register the thing without a title?
Is there a way to do with just the bill of sale?
Old 12-12-2008, 07:02 AM

You would need a lost title form -signed by the seller along with a bill of sale.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:04 AM

No they wont let you do that. The previous owner will have to get another copy of the title from DMV. Make sure there is release of liens on there because you won't be able to register w/ a lien on the old title... Pain in the a$$ i know...

[QUOTE]Requesting a Duplicate Title
The owner of the record must complete the Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title (form H-6B). This application must be signed and notarized. The cost to obtain a duplicate title is $25.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:07 AM

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=816&Q...PNavCtr=|#30281
Old 12-12-2008, 07:08 AM

Its a big pain the ass because the owner is saying "I dont have time to go down to DMV"

I got it for free because my g/f gave it to me, and its just in her moms name, she looked for the title but she lost it. and "does not have time" to go to DMV for a new one.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:09 AM

I've been on the DMV site for the past two days, people keep telling me (even her) that I can just do it with the Bill Of Sale, and the DMV can do a look up? never heard of it.. maybe back in the day?
Old 12-12-2008, 08:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well best thing to do is mosey on down there and find out for yourself.

Do let your fellow CT peeps know the real story when you get back
Old 12-12-2008, 08:12 AM

I tryed to do the "title search" yesterday and they did not let me. So I'll try the H-6 for the transfer and see what happens.

maybe I'll just have her mail in the forum even tho that will take 15 days, and there goes getting the S off the road for winter
Old 12-12-2008, 08:22 AM

From the CT DMV site

If you have lost your original Connecticut Certificate of Title and are selling the vehicle to someone who will be registering it in Connecticut, you can follow the procedures listed below to sell the vehicle without requesting a duplicate Connecticut Certificate of Title.

Note: If the vehicle is being sold to someone in another state, you must request a duplicate title and then complete the transfer section on the reverse side of the title.

Go to a full-service DMV branch office with your Connecticut registration explaining to the DMV representative that you have lost your title and need to transfer ownership to someone in Connecticut. The DMV examiner will research the title record for your vehicle.

After the branch office clears the request, you may assign ownership to the buyer on the Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title (form H-6B) in lieu of waiting for the actual duplicate title.
Note: The application must be notarized. However, there should be a DMV representative available that can notarize the form for you.

If there is a lien listed on the original Connecticut Certificate of Title, a lien release must accompany the Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title (form H-6B). The lien release must be on letterhead paper from the lien holder.

The fee to process this request is $25.
Note: Any other registration fees will also apply.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^ he is still going to need his GF mother to go down there and do that for him. Notice it says

"Go to a full-service DMV branch office with your Connecticut registration explaining to the DMV representative that you have lost your title and need to transfer ownership to someone in Connecticut. The DMV examiner will research the title record for your vehicle.

After the branch office clears the request, you may assign ownership to the buyer on the Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title (form H-6B) in lieu of waiting for the actual duplicate title.
Note: The application must be notarized. However, there should be a DMV representative available that can notarize the form for you."

Those things must be done by the seller according to what you posted.

Quick Reply: CT DMV