New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Hurricane Relief Donation Challenge

Old 09-01-2005, 04:14 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Hurricane Relief Donation Challenge

It seems to me that the best we can do is help the professionals do their job. That costs money. I know it isn't much in the scheme of things, but I think it would be nice if NES2KO made a contribution to the American Red Cross or FEMA to help the Hurricane victims. Barbara and I were discussing this last night, and we decided to challenge our friends here at New England. We will match all donations made by New England people, up to a total of $1,000. Think of this as a way for you to double your donation dollars. Naturally, we hope New England members will contribute more than a total of $1,000. But our goal is $1,000 and we will match it for a total of $2,000.

The American Red Cross has already set up refugee shelters and is well ahead of most other organizations, so I tend to favor giving the money to them. I am open to other ideas, but it has to be an agency that is providing broad relief to the people of the Gulf area.

I'm not sure how to collect the money and send it in. My thought was to collect checks from everyone and to send the individual checks in one envelope with a letter saying it is on behalf of our group. That way, all contributors will have proof of their donations for tax purposes. Steve will look into the Paypal method and see if we can document each persons contribution that way.

I plan to work with Steve on this as he has been very enthusiastic about helping out. I think people can pledge their donation on this thread, but you should also PM me and Steve with information like your address and phone number. We will then reply with instructions about how to make the payment. Steve and I will report the contributions on this thread. We will not use your name if you do not want us to, but we will report all amounts as they are pledged. In the end, we will produce a full list to document what was sent, including my matching contribution, and we will provide copies of any reciept we get from the organization to prove that the money was delivered. There will be no funny business here. Every cent will go to the organization.

PLEASE DO NOT PLEDGE IF YOU CANNOT MAKE THE DONATION! Steve and I do not want to track people down and we want to do this as quickly as possible. I'd like to be able to send the money next week. Feel free to solicit checks from family members too. I will match whatever each of you can raise regardless of the source. (Up to a total of $1,000. Sorry to keep saying that.)

Sorry for the long post. Please consider a contribution today. Remember, while we lie in warm beds dreaming of new mods for our cars, people in the Gulf are praying for shelter, food and water. Let's set a little aside for them.

Feel free to post any questions about this.

Thank you.

Bill
Old 09-01-2005, 04:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill - I've said this in private but I
Old 09-01-2005, 04:34 AM

Received 2,766 Likes on 1,626 Posts

We're in.

I agree that the Red Cross is the best organization to send the money to.

If we do send checks, the Red Cross has said to please note "hurricane relief" on the check so the money is appropriately distributed.

PM will be sent to you and Bass with our pledge. I can put a check in tomorrow's mail if you decide to go that route.

Good idea guys.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come on NE, let's make this happend, bump for a great cause
Old 09-01-2005, 05:16 AM

Ok, so far I have a contribution in the amount of $100 made "In memory of our Dads." We are already 1/10th of the way to meeting the challenge.

Folks can mail checks to either Steve (address above) or me. I will PM my address to folks who make a pledge. Folks who go the paypal route through Steve should still either post the contribution, or PM the amount to me or Steve so we can keep updating the tally.

Bill
Old 09-01-2005, 05:18 AM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

this is a great idea. I think I'll steal it for the Mid-Atlantic.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:19 AM

46 reads, but only one pledge so far. Emotional support is great, but as Cuba Gooding Jr. says "Show me the money." Don't be embarassed, all donations are welcome.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by boughtans2k,Sep 1 2005, 09:18 AM
this is a great idea. I think I'll steal it for the Mid-Atlantic.
No problem, steal away, but I think you owe us $10 here for the idea (hint, hint, hint).
Old 09-01-2005, 05:25 AM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

I'll make it $100 if Bass will handle the funds for Mid-A too.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boughtans2k,Sep 1 2005, 09:25 AM
I'll make it $100 if Bass will handle the funds for Mid-A too.
consider it done!! - Thanks very much boughtans2k

I just pleaded $50.00 to New England and another $50.00 to my companies fund (stole the idea from Bill!!)

my Parents pleaded another $100.00

checks should be made out to the red cross sent to Steve Bassignani, P.O. box 83 Norfolk MA 02056

Quick Reply: Hurricane Relief Donation Challenge