New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Oh man... did I f'up or what... help!

Old 08-10-2004, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh man... did I f'up or what... help!

So I decided to do my own valve adjustment after hearing everyone doing their own on the board. Got a write up, the helms, the tools, everything was looking good... until I got the actual gapping the valves part. No idea how to do it... so after the first valve I stopped and put everything back to normal. Well, everything was back to normal except for the first valve I tried gapping (the first of the exhaust valves). Now when I turn it on, it kind of has a putting sound to it, and the check engine light came on. I'm SOL and desprite because my car goes in the bodyshop at the end of next week and i'm going away on vacation. So does anyone know how to do this and want to make some extra cash fixing this for (with) me? I realllllllyyyyy need help. Thanks.

-Mike
Old 08-10-2004, 06:49 PM

Whoa Mike sorry man I haven't done any of that type of work to my car. From what I recall I heard there was a mechanic from Branfon honda that was an ACE with our S called Ken.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:01 PM

I would not drive it till it is fixed. It sounds like you have the valve to tight and it is not closing ,which would cause a misfire code and give you the CEL. If the valve doesn't close all the way you have a chance of burning it or bending it if it hits.

Unfortunately my plate is full helping other members with prior commitments and I am license-less at the moment . I would PM GLEN (GS2K) and see if he could help you . He is great at adjusting valves.

If by chance its to late and there is further damage ,call Honda for a estimate to replace a possible burnt or bent valve . Then contact me and we could go over some alteratives before you decide on having Honda do the work.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:23 PM

Damn, I guess that rules out calling the local honda shop and having them regap them for me if I can't even drive my car.

Can anyone give me some help with regapping that valve then? When I gapped the valve the nut would be loose and then when I tightened the nut the gap would close. Can someone guide me on how to do the tightening/loosing of both the screw and nut? Thanks.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:08 AM

PM me your # when I get home tonight I will talk you through it .
Old 08-11-2004, 05:16 AM

If you still need help... let me know...

I can do Valve Adjustments with my eyes closed ... both hands behind my back... standing on my head... and swing a golf club at the same time

You get the idea...

But... I agree with Scott (Twiztid)... Don't drive the car... you can do more damage than you expect.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:01 PM

Glen, if you ever feel like putting on a valve adjustment clinic let me know--I'd love to attend. If I was going to be around this weekend, I'd invite myself out to see you work on Mike's car. But next time you're doing valves, please PM me so I can come out and watch (with my eyes open, two hands and no golf club).

Thanks,
Martin

edited for spelling.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:48 PM

Glenn is the man
Old 08-12-2004, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Surf2k,Aug 11 2004, 08:01 PM
Glen, if you ever feel like putting on a valve adjustment clinic let me know--I'd love to attend. If I was going to be around this weekend, I'd invite myself out to see you work on Mike's car. But next time you're doing valves, please PM me so I can come out and watch (with my eyes open, two hands and no golf club).

Thanks,
Martin

edited for spelling.
FOFLOL!!!

Not too sure when this would happen... but definitely!

As long as I don't have to show you how I adjust valves while standing on my head ... this is saved for special occasions!

Mike... you have a PM
Old 08-13-2004, 09:06 AM
Community Organizer

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

I definitly need this done at some point! When ever there is another good meet I will need to do this...........with 80K it's been a while.

Quick Reply: Oh man... did I f'up or what... help!