New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

A question for the cooks

Old 10-21-2008, 12:56 PM

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,656 Posts
Default A question for the cooks

So, we keep the usual typical spices in the house, including..some simple ones like seasoned pepper, garlic power, onion powder.

Well they seem to have redesigned the tops on some of them and didn't tell us.

Recently about 1/4 jar of seasoned pepper got dumped into one dish and the same thing almost happened with some garlic powder the other night.

They used to be screw top with a plastic shaker inside. Now the lid is a pop top with shaker built in. They should have warned us we would not have taken the top off and then proceeded to dump 1/4 of the jar into the pan.

Has this happened to you? Did they change the tops so people would dump more spices into their food then have to buy more spices??

And what about the Cheerios? They use the same box, but put less in the box.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happened to Bob. I asked him to shake some oregano on my pizza and got a little more than expected. I'm just glad I didn't ask for the hot pepper!

As to the Cheerios, I buy the stuff but Ray eats it, virtually by the box and I don't think he'd notice. BTW, he just got into eating grape nuts. I watched him eat a bowl, full to the top like it was cheerios. Usual serving is 1/2 cup. Must've been at least two cups! I mentioned he might not want to stray too far from a bathroom.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:18 PM

Cereal is expensive. Tell him if he keeps eating like that, you're going to buy him "store brand" cereal.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lainey,Oct 21 2008, 04:56 PM
Has this happened to you? Did they change the tops so people would dump more spices into their food then have to buy more spices??
This has TOTALLY happened to me. I bought a bunch of new ones a couple months ago to replenish my supply - I cook a lot and us a lot of spices/seasoning. Had almost a whole bottle of basil in my sauce!

Becky - "Whats all that swearing in there??"

Now i really have to watch it cuz i have some of the old ones and some of the new ones. grrrrr
Old 10-21-2008, 01:35 PM

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,430 Posts

my grandmother ( the chef) always taught me to shake into my hand then add to sauce etc.
you never put in to much that way.

although on a related type story.
I did have it happen at a Vietnamese noodle place.
When I went to add some hot sauce somebody had unscrewed that cap...
Old 10-21-2008, 01:41 PM

the hotter the betta!!!! I'll take a 4 for hot please!!
Old 10-21-2008, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by LazyProfessor,Oct 21 2008, 05:30 PM
This has TOTALLY happened to me. I bought a bunch of new ones a couple months ago to replenish my supply - I cook a lot and us a lot of spices/seasoning. Had almost a whole bottle of basil in my sauce!

Becky - "Whats all that swearing in there??"

Now i really have to watch it cuz i have some of the old ones and some of the new ones. grrrrr
Rick put tape on the bottle, so the only way we can open it is by the flip top, vs screwing the cover off.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:11 PM

I work in grocery store, and there is a lot of products that are downsizeing, the cost of makeing all the goods is going up, and to keep the cost the same at retail, they are just putting less in. it sucks as a consumer and retailer, it makes it harder to give out the good deals. as for the spices i am just as lost!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it's worth... local Indian market's have awesome deals on spices, even basic stuff like Peppercorn. For the price you pay for a little jar of McCormick's you can get a bag of stuff 4 times larger.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by kenta,Oct 21 2008, 06:36 PM
For what it's worth... local Indian market's have awesome deals on spices, even basic stuff like Peppercorn. For the price you pay for a little jar of McCormick's you can get a bag of stuff 4 times larger.

Thats where i get A LOT of my spice. How about a BAG of bay leaves for 1.99.

Quick Reply: A question for the cooks