New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Would you ever sell your S2000?

Old 03-03-2013, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you ever sell your S2000?

I have a few more car payments left before my S will be paid off, I could have paid it off I think a couple different times but I have always bought parts or another S2000 for that matter instead. The interest rate on my loan was very low so I never really bothered paying it off well before it needed to be. I bought the car almost 5 years ago with 28,000 miles on it for 15,000. Currently I think I have 39,000 miles on it, yes I know I don't drive it enough, and I just looked up Kelly Blue Book and it lists a private party in excellent condition which I like to think mine is for 20,000, which doesn't include me adding the Hardtop into the equation. I don't think that I could get that much for it thought, but it’s nice to see that a car I bought 5 years ago is now worth more money than what I paid for it!

I have no inclinations to sell the car at any point, but I know a lot of people on this forum have owned theirs longer than I have, and I know that some of you have sold them and moved onto different cars. Those of you who still own them do you think about selling the S and if so what would you replace it with. Those of you who have sold the S and moved onto something else are you happy that you did it or do you regret doing it?

I do plan on purchasing a P-car in a year or two, but I still plan to keep the S and don't think I would, or hopefully don't plan to ever get rid of it. I think parking it in the winter and driving it in the good weather gives me something to look forward to every year, and I like the anticipation, almost like a new car every times springs rolls around!
Old 03-03-2013, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Alpha-Male
I am happy with mine but I'd trade it in a heartbeat for a GTR!
X2
Old 03-04-2013, 03:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had mine for 6 years. Over that timespan I've had 2 kids, bought a house, and reduced my yearly driving below 1000 miles. Despite the decline in use, I have no desire to get rid of it. It sees an occasional mod, always intended for my safety or track performance though.

What a fantastic car! I just can't get the thrill it brings from any other car.

-Mike
Old 03-04-2013, 04:39 AM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

We have no plans to get rid of our S which we bought new in 2004. We have over 60K on it and look forward to every road trip, or "Sunday" drive. The ride anywhere is just better when it's top down. Our first road trip of this season is to VA to hang with the Vintage crowd, which is celebrating 10 years of annual meets. If something happened to the S, we would hope to replace it with a slightly new model.

As long as we can still get in and out of it, we'll keep it.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:03 AM
Community Organizer

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts

Mike you know my story......at least partly. No way I am selling unless I am paid enough to buy another S with low miles, a Super Charger, and a few grand extra cash! Even then I would still think about it.

Picked her up new from the dealership Nov. 11, 1999. Since then put on over 100K miles and after a heart transplant she has 16K!!! So I am starting all over again. Paid her off years ago and looking forward to driving a lot this year once the roads clear up and weather gets warmer.

When tax refund and bonus come in I think I will be getting seat covers a new subwoofer and possibly Swift Spec-R springs. The SC will have to wait a few more years!

If I were to sell for another car..........it would have to be an Italian convertible or possibly a Targa NSX with a SC. Neither of which I could afford!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is my 2nd S and I cursed selling my first S even with all the issues it had as the years rolled by until I could get my current S. I don't think I would or could ever sell it, I will certainly add to the stable though... I too like Mike desire a P-car...maybe in a few years myself
Old 03-04-2013, 06:18 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

The S is "family", much like an old dog.
Levi
Old 03-04-2013, 07:04 AM

sold mine for a GTR and havent regretted it much. No way in heck I could convince my wife to let me have a gtr + s2k + dd right now (maybe in a few years). I am starting to see a few s' around and makes me nostalgic. Honestly I dont really miss the high revs (no torque) or handling (gtr handles better), but just the fact that its a convertible and when its 70 degrees out, it'll be a blast to drive. I'll probably buy a cheap miata with high mileage or something.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:33 AM

God willing, I hope I can keep it forever and in good condition.

I have an 02 ap1. Bought it with 29k/mi 5yr ago and currently have 68k/mi (put about 7-8k/mi per yr). Would be nice if I can work on it together w/ my kid(s) in the garage, and eventually pass it down. I definitely plan on giving it a heart tx when the miles get high. I have the all red interior and the OEM red seats are hard to come by. Brides, Sparco, or Recaros will take care of that problem.

The only fear I have would be rust.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't currently plan to sell, but I have to be realistic. It won't last forever, so it may be one of those things that may come down to whether or not major repairs are needed. Mine's a '00 with over 100k miles on it.
In the 5 yrs I've owned it, we bought a house (I already owned a condo that I still have) and had a kid. The reality is that there are higher priorities for money than the S2000. Maintenance is not a problem, but I choose not to spend $$ on mods or extras for it.

I certainly to keep it for the forseeable future, but should it need major work or we run into some financial situation, it's something that will likely be reluctantly sold.

It would be great if I had the time and money to keep it going well into the "classic car" era. That's my hope, but who knows what the future will hold.

Quick Reply: Would you ever sell your S2000?