New Mexico and West Texas New Mexico and West Texas S2000 Owners.

Lapping day @ SMS

Old 12-27-2011, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lapping day @ SMS

I've heard there is a lapping day this Friday at Sandia Motor Speedway. Half day is $50; full day is $75.

Anyone interested in doing some lapping sessions? I'll offer up some instruction time, if you promise not to ball up your car with me in it.

As I hear more, I'll post up the info...
Old 12-27-2011, 09:27 AM

I may be interested if you would educate me a little bit on what a lapping days is and what safety equipment would be needed.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:10 AM

A lapping day is a non timed track event. Typically, the participants are split up into 3 or 4 groups depending on experience and approx. lap times. So, you should be roughly grouped with people that will be lapping at a similar pace. One group will be on the track at a time and there are typically less than 10 cars to a group, so you shouldn't get too bunched up. Passing is allowed, but only in the straightaways and the passee must signal to the passer that they're aware they are being overtaken. This is done by waving out of the drive window. When being passed, do not get out of the racing line. The car passing is one that is supposed to go around the slower car.

Each lapping session is ~15 to 20 minutes in length. Sometimes there is a flagger letting you know when your session is over, sometimes there is not. It's all based on how many participants there are and who is organizing the lapping day.

Sandia Motor Speedway is a 14 turn, 1.7 mile road course with two integrated ovals. The straightaways of the large oval make up the two straightaways of the road course where passing is allowed.

Safety equipment: self inspection is highly recommended, prior to showing up at the event. A DOT or SNELL certified helmet is required for the driver and passenger, if you have one. Only one passenger is allowed at a time, unless specifically OKed by the organizer. If you have never done something like this before, please please please check your brake system for damage and adequate brake pads remaining. Do not show up to a lapping event with inadequate pad life remaining. You'll put yourself, your car and your passenger at risk. I've been in an STi that lost it's brakes while on track and it was the single most scary experience I've had while lapping....and that includes numerous "offs" and going through a chain-link fence

On another note, your vehicle insurance will not cover any damage incurred while at a track event. Lapping day or High-performance driving event (HPDE) insurance can be purchased separately through other insurance vendors, if that's something you desire. *Most* of the time, there are not any accidents...but it does happen when you're pushing the limits of your ability and the car's grip.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:46 PM

Sound like a ton of fun.... But I have a few more questions for you. You said that you would offer some instruction time do you charge and if so how much? What time does this start? If I am a complete novice will there group of my same status?
Old 12-27-2011, 03:22 PM

I'm not a professional, so I don't charge for my services . When I'm not running, I'll sometimes see if other, newer, participants need help with anything. The first time I went to the track, there wasn't anyone to show me around and it was quite intimidating. Having someone show you around the course and let you see the racing line first hand is nice when you've never participated in a lapping day.

I haven't done one of Sandia's "open practice" days, so I'm not exactly sure what to expect, as far as lapping groups are concerned. Sometimes it's organized by experience....sometimes not so much. I'll try to get hold of the track manager to find out some more info...

Here's a lapping video from Sandia: http://youtu.be/eQeV6ezrC18
Old 12-28-2011, 06:03 PM

Dammit I work 6am-6pm friday. Why can't this be saturday.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:54 PM

Thanks for all the info. Keep us updated on the track info.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:39 PM

The track is expecting a very light turnout tomorrow. There will not be any organized run groups, so it will be up to the participants to take turns and manage how many cars are on track. I would be surprised if more than 10 people attended.

I'm now leaning towards the afternoon session and plan to be at the track around 12:30pm tomorrow.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Do let us know when another lapping day happens. I really want to make it out to one someday.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:33 PM

The track has open practice days every Friday. The SMS "Car Club" has lapping days about twice a month. Their calendar is the best way to stay up-to-date with events. I only go out a few times a year.

Last Friday allowed me to check off the following driving occurrences:
  • 90+ mph through snow with my S2000
  • Drifted one end of Sandia's inner oval
  • 60 mph full-lock drift through snow
  • Lapped a decked out Smart Car, lol
...and as luck would have it, I didn't get much worth while on video.

Quick Reply: Lapping day @ SMS