New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

#59 Race Blog

Old 06-23-2017, 04:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice work sticking to it! be wide tomorrow!
Old 06-28-2017, 03:49 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

So Watkins came and went, no incidents, no damage and NO POINTS. They actually throw out your lowest finish and two 9th place finishes are my worst yet.
I guess I should have stayed home. I never did better than a 2:15 which was 9 secs off the front runners pace. When the car ran good I could out run the Lotus and other front runners coming out of the boot, but it would only run good for a lap or two.

Jake and I will get busy tonight bolting on some new parts and then its back to QUANTUM for a fuel pressure gauge that wired into the ECU so we can log the fuel deliver issue.

Next up is Palmer to instruct for their lapping day on 7/7, hope to have the car ready to test it.

Next race is Thompson on 7/15 and that should be a low turnout event with only 4-5 guys in the class.

Its been a tough, frustrating season so far, but I haven't given up yet !
Old 06-28-2017, 04:46 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

RST Performance posted this video on facebook.

Locked up a bit in the boot?

Old 06-28-2017, 05:32 AM

I wonder where they got that nice video from ?????

Thanks the rear video from the #59.

Thats not smoke but rather speedy dry that was put out on track from the run group before ours.

And now for the perfect spin right outa the fast and furious.

Last edited by s200059; 06-30-2017 at 02:01 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry things didn't work out so well Greg. Hopefully you can get the car's issues sorted out soon. Any thoughts as to what the culprit could be? Here's to hoping the #59 is back to 100% asap!
Old 06-29-2017, 08:01 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey Greg,

Was watching on the webcast. I'll look for you at Thompson, or look me up. I'm going to TRY and get there for testing on friday. I'll be there in the silver #8 EP car, with my coach and trailer. No clue where to paddock!

Aaron
Old 06-30-2017, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by ajohnson
Hey Greg,

Was watching on the webcast. I'll look for you at Thompson, or look me up. I'm going to TRY and get there for testing on friday. I'll be there in the silver #8 EP car, with my coach and trailer. No clue where to paddock!

Aaron
Come find me if you have time, you know my car if you are on this forum. I Plan to head over on Wed night to try and find parking.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by shiv
Sorry things didn't work out so well Greg. Hopefully you can get the car's issues sorted out soon. Any thoughts as to what the culprit could be? Here's to hoping the #59 is back to 100% asap!
We have ruled out all the obvious stuff and this week Jake and I spent another 8 hours replacing the engine wiring harness and the oil pan with NEW baffle. Rules out a short in the harness and any oil starvation issues. Next up we will install a fuel pressure gauge that will be tied into the ECU and log the fuel pressure while on track. As the season winds down we are running short on ideas and also running out of time.

BTW - I found out I scored ZERO points this past w/e at Watkins, it was my worst results and it get thrown out and only the top 8 finishes out of a total of 14 races count.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:50 AM

So we had an odd schedule for the two days of racing that was created because of the Conn state law that says you can not start racing until 12 pm on Sundays. That is why every race at Lime Rock is a Fri/Sat event.

It meant that we had two short 15 min qualifiers on Sat morning and then a 20 min race Sat afternoon. Its a cluster aand 1/2 because of the positioning of the grid which is FAR away from T&S, Impound and TECH. Plus it takes the same amount of time to prepare for the race, doesn't matter if its 15 mins or 45 mins. So making us go to the line 3 times in one day is a pain in the ass. It was hot and humid by the time we went to the grid for our final race at 3:50 in the afternoon. Thats Group4 at almost 4pm. It was about 85 degrees and the car didn't like the last 3 laps or so and it bucked quite a bit. But I finished in 3rd place and was happy with that. About the half way point my coolshirt stopped working and I was roasting.

Sunday they didn't start racing until 12:30 and it was 95 degrees by then. I remembered the coolshirt issue and began to try and fix it by the time our race went off at 3:15. It took almost 2 hrs but I got the pump replaced and I was in business to keep myself cool. We sat in the Grid for 15 mins, the delay was due to the fact that they were a head of schedule but could not start race group4 until the posted time of 3:15. Once again we were in with the big cars - GT1, AS, T1, T2 and STU. It sucked, especially on a small track where there is not a lot of good passing places. I got lapped 4 times by the leaders and twice by the STU leaders (Heinrich and Greg Amy).. About 1/2 way thru the car started to have a horrible vibration and I had thoughts about pulling in. I thought I was in 4th place and saw they guy that I thought was in 5th catching me. I tried to step it up but the car would not shift properly. As I was about to give up the white flag came out and I held on to finish. I found out the guy in 3rd had dropped out and that gave me another 3rd place finish. I went back the paddock and shut car off, when I tried to load it onto the trailer the clutch didn't work and it would not go into gear.

In March I had replaced the throwout bearing and as part of that I replaced just the clutch disc and not the entire clutch. I think the clutch is what went out and maybe not the tranny.

So I still have the points lead in STU, the guy in second had problems both days and only did one lap each day. He thinks he got 4th place points for his one lap but I do not think it works that way. See below.

Hope your WG event stays dry.

Awarding of Points A. A car that completes half the laps of the overall race winner for either a numbered lap event or a timed event shall be awarded earned points. Enduro events should define the awarding of points in the enduro supplemental regulations. If the race is an uneven number of laps, divide the overall winner’s laps in half and round down to the nearest whole integer.
Attached Thumbnails #59 Race Blog-podium3.jpg   #59 Race Blog-podium3b.jpg   #59 Race Blog-sat1.jpg  

Last edited by s200059; 07-18-2017 at 01:35 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:44 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

wow Greg...that was quite the weekend you had. Makes the afternoon storms we had seem like first world problems.

Congratulations again and happy to hear you finished on the podium.

Tomorrow is looking good so hopefully we have a dry and uneventful day and a safe drive back home.

Elivan had me instruct an Intermediate student in a Corvette for one session. He was an older guy and it went alright. Got to take Harry (HarryWho) and Two00Si's plus one out for some laps as Elivan said I could. Shiv had an issue with his toe, but got it resolved and was back to his oversteering best.

Quick Reply: #59 Race Blog