New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Thread Vol. XXIII

Old 10-07-2018, 01:51 PM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

Did over 220 miles in the S yesterday and some today, only some was top down due to being very cold yesterday and some rain today.
The following users liked this post:
Bugsy (10-08-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 03:09 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

I also took the car out today. Car had been sitting for at least a month, and had not been washed since returning home. Cleaned it up this morning and found a mouse or chipmunk nest in the deep left corner (in front of driver). Quite a bit of material, much of which looked like jute. I'm thinking that it might have come from the Volvo, as I have stripped out the Volvo's floors.

Drove about 190 miles to Mystic to attend a party, but top and windows (mostly) up as Nancy wasn't feeling at the top of her game.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:40 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

I haven't driven either car since I got home from Bowling Green. Hoping to clean up and list the BRZ for sale tomorrow. If it doesn't go soon, I'll probably just trade it in at CarMax at the end of the month. I did spend quality time with Antara though so no regrets not driving the cars.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:24 AM

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Didn't drive the S yesterday, but gave the car its second (!) bath of the season.

My 9 year old nephew stopped by the house after the Sabres game, saw the car in the garage and asked me if I'd 'polished the car'. Kid has a keen eye, I think he is a future car guy. Its in his blood
Old 10-09-2018, 05:09 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
Didn't drive the S yesterday, but gave the car its second (!) bath of the season.

My 9 year old nephew stopped by the house after the Sabres game, saw the car in the garage and asked me if I'd 'polished the car'. Kid has a keen eye, I think he is a future car guy. Its in his blood
way to go Marc. Keep subliminally influencing them.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:05 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Oh wow! Albany makes it to Carmax’s list of cities where people buy manual transmission cars in greater numbers

https://jalopnik.com/heres-where-man...est-1829641142

Old 10-11-2018, 05:22 AM

Whoop Dee Do! A BIG 5.09%.

It has been suggested here and elsewhere that I buy a pick up truck. But I'll need a gun rack and a couple of guns (at least fake ones) for behind the seat. Are those still considered acceptable pickup truck accessories?

In other Volvo PV444 news …

Very slow progress returning the interior to use. I ordered 3 point inertia style seat belts and await their arrival. For soundproofing the floor, I’m using ½” thick Hushmat that I ordered from Summit Racing. But I wonder how well it will hold up over time. It’s made from a spongy material and sometimes that type of material tends to disintegrate. I assume it will compress to about ¼” under the carpets. I also ordered some 1/8” Hushmat material for the footwell kickboards. I’m thinking I might put that material under the fabric rather than under the panel.

The carpets themselves are quite cheesy. I assume they came from one of the usual Volvo parts suppliers. The prior owner made some cuts at the edges of the carpets so they could fold where necessary and I have had to cut holes in the toeboard for the gas, brake & clutch pedals and for the headlight dimmer switch. The carpet will unravel at these cuts and I need to hand sew some reinforcement and even then it is not that strong. The same problem exists where the transmission shifter comes through the carpet. I think these will be short lived. Ultimately, I think I can get much more suitable, unraveling carpet from a local carpet supply shop.

I need to deal with the window and door seals. (I suspect they leak!) Some seals came with the car, but none of it looks like the same as what’s on the car. For the door frame, I also need what is described as “door aperture trim”, part 99457, but what’s on the car is pretty flimsy stuff, and I’m not sure how I will fit new material under the headliner at the top.

I also have some window fuzzies, but my material doesn’t look like it will fit correctly.

My home made seat latch for the passenger side seat came out fairly well. Awaiting reassembly.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:29 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Hey we at least bested Seattle

looks like you’re making good progress on the bus. It should be ready by the time summer arrives and the good doctor needs a trusty steed for her ventures to work and around where she lives.

BTW, how’d you make out with the porter cable on the S2000?
Old 10-11-2018, 05:41 AM

I haven't tried it yet. Almost afraid to use it for the first time on the S because the paint's so thin. I was thinking of lending it to you so you can shine up the BRZ for sale.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:48 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
I haven't tried it yet. Almost afraid to use it for the first time on the S because the paint's so thin. I was thinking of lending it to you so you can shine up the BRZ for sale.
thanks for offering but I’ve no idea how one uses a porter cable. I was hoping you’d be my sensei on that topic.

BRZ has been listed for sale on Facebook groups. I plan to swap to the factory brake pads and then take it to Carmax and see what they offer. If their offer is decent I’ll get rid of it. If someone on here wants to buy it I’ll even sell it for a grand less than what I’m asking.

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Thread Vol. XXIII