Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Anti-speed camera number plate frames

Old 11-14-2000, 01:41 AM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few people here in Oz have mentioned number plate frames/covers you can buy that supposedly 'foil' speed cameras.

Anyone ever tried them?

While I was looking for the answer myself I came across these interesting perspectives on speeding, radar etc..
http://www.netcolony.com/members/ozimotorists/

This next one seems like some HACK3R DoOD penned it but an amusing read nonetheless.
http://www.zipworld.com.au/~verysoft/speeding/
Old 11-14-2000, 03:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Heard about these a few years back and heard mixed reports.

Fixed speed cameras are popping up all over the place around here and I have to say I'm a little worried about them. I also suspect the frames work by reflecting or refarcting the excess light from a flash. Many of the new systems don't require a flash at least during daylight hours so these frames might be a little limited.

The other systems I've read about are designed to transmit white noise to a laser speed gun. But they weren't very effective. Search the BBS for 'radar detedtor' and you'll see the links I followed.

Let me know what you find out.
Old 11-14-2000, 08:15 AM

Just thought I would chime in here. A bud of mine from college used to live in Virginia (I think I can't remember may have been NY) anyhow phot radar was used a lot. He got a license plate cover that was perfectly legible from directly behind the vehicle, but was blurry from an angle. It didn't matter about the flash from a camera. It was like those little picture that had the ridges on them from the crackerjack box. Look at the picture one way it was a duck, tilt it at an angle and it was a cow That type of technology.
Old 11-14-2000, 05:40 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2K_LA:
[B]Just thought I would chime in here.
Old 11-15-2000, 03:11 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They work I have one on my GSX. Got it as a gift don't know who makes them, but I will check. S2K_LA is correct it depends on the angle. The photo radars are used here in NYC to catch people running red lights. There is actually a website with the listed lights.
Old 11-15-2000, 03:20 AM

Hey Muz (Murray I presume), having picked up 2 tickets in the last 2 weeks from speed cameras (and having had a clean record for the 2.5 years before) I am extremely interested in whatever you discover.

Keep us posted and if you organise a group buy put me head of the list. Garry.C.
Old 11-15-2000, 04:30 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are a couple I found
http://www.photoblock.com/
http://www.radarbusters.com/covers.htm
Old 11-15-2000, 04:34 AM

have your friendly x ray tech. at the hospital develop an unexposed 8x10 film. cut it out to overlay your tag. that oughta do it..
Old 11-16-2000, 02:33 AM
Muz
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by spike:
[B]have your friendly x ray tech. at the hospital develop an unexposed 8x10 film.
Old 11-16-2000, 02:34 AM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Come to think of it .. most new window tints these days contain metal. Wonder if this would work? Just a trip to the local window tinting place for some scrap offcuts would be pretty cheap.

Quick Reply: Anti-speed camera number plate frames