Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Best city in the U.S.?

Old 05-17-2005, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best city in the U.S.?

Ive lived in San Antonio TX all my life, it's all right.... the nightlife is good but it still feels a little "cow-town" for my tastes, doesn't really have an glam. The hot humid weather is a big downer too.

Now, of course id love to move to So-Cal or whatever but realistically my top choices come down to Dallas, Denver or Las Vegas.
That's a tough one for me...

-Dallas is my favorite out of those, it's BIG, it has big glass skyscrapers, it's known for shopping, it's got the galleria, seems to get a lot of business conventions (im an entrepreneur) plus it's got the same low cost of living im used to. THe only downside: im stuck with the same crappy weather

- Denver has the perfect climate, but city-wise I think i might end up with another San Antonio... just with mountains instead of the Alamo... Ive never been so I cant be sure but it doesn't look like it would even hold a candle to Dallas, but who knows.

- Vegas is vegas, it's kinda different but i like the fact that they get all kinds of events all the time, SEMA, the big boxing matches, the big bodybuilding shows, I know ive seen Howard Stern do his shows live there.... it almost seems to have that NY or LA feel. Weather is still hot, but at least I get rid of the humidity.

Where should i go/??? anyone from Denver who could give more info on it, do ya like it etc.?? If Dallas had Denver climate that would be perfection.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Denver would be my first choice. All kinds of ski resorts within a few hours of town and more microbreweries than you can handle...assuming you like good brew as much as myself. A good friend of mine lives in Colorado Springs, about 45-60 mins. south, and I make it a point to visit at least twice a year.

I can relate to you about Texas being home, as I have lived here for many years as well, but as soon as I can get away from this humidity I am gone. You'll never escape that by going to Dallas.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:18 PM

Raised and lived in Newport/Huntington Beach my whole life, but recently had to move to Vegas. The fun part is the nightlife. If you are a night person and like to be able to go out and do something 24 hours a day, this place is great. Great bars and clubs, gambling, drinking and partying day and night. I'm sure there's other stuff to do that I haven't got into yet. The only thing I'm hating is the heat. It gets freaking hot here and there's no coastal winds to cool it down. Other than that though, I love the general vibe of the place and the cost of living seems like it's a fifth of California. Good luck on your choice, and you can always move again if you end up hating somewhere.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:11 PM

San Diego

From what I hear, the people, the weather, the scenery and the social life is simply outstanding.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:25 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah, but the price is insane!

I'd be in NorCal if I could afford it. As it is, Dallas suits me perfectly.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:33 PM

NY
Old 05-17-2005, 10:40 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NY is the capital of the world. There is no place on earth like it. Although I happen to live here, these are not my words, but pretty much a fact.....

Nowhere in the world do you have what can be found in NY.

Ive been to most of europe, and 90% of the US, and while many places are beautiful, just not like NY.

I guess thats just "a new york state of mind."
Old 05-17-2005, 11:09 PM

Really a personal choice, I hate NY for example

I've lived in the SF, NY, and DC metro areas, and spent an awful lot of time in Chicago in the last three years where my fiance did her residency.

One thing is for sure, every place has its ups and downs. On the whole, I like the SF Bay Area because the weather is nice and there are plenty of nice places to go within day trip distance.

As a city though, hands down Chicago is my favorite.
-Great culture made accessible to the people (free zoo, free days at museums).
-Friendly people
-It has a gorgeous lake setting and the level of architecture throughout the city is mind boggling
-It's clean and well planned (has an entire "sub-city" network of roads for trucks to keep congestion off the surface streets)
-Good public transportation
-Great food

Peter
Old 05-18-2005, 01:30 AM
Former Moderator

Vegas. Becuase it's Vegas
Honeslty I love living in here. There is always something to do in town but we're within 3-4 hours driving distance to the beach one way and with 3-4 hours for great snowboarding the other way, and the town isn't exactly huge yet so you can get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time. I like to drive my car year round

Feel free to stop by the Vegas forum and say hi.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=SF&f=116

Karim
Old 05-18-2005, 02:36 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me the best cities are San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York City and Miami.

Quick Reply: Best city in the U.S.?