Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

cheap racing series

Old 01-11-2002, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheap racing series

I am very interested in this, what do you guys think?

http://www.specmiata.com/
Old 01-11-2002, 12:19 PM

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

I can get you into a spec Panoz, for a reasonable amount, but the Miata is probably cheaper.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:05 PM

If you want to race for cheap there is rx7 spec racing. My husband was going to do that. But if you want more bang for the buck, I would suggest you try karting. My husband did a lot of different type of racing, but he always returns to karting. He says after being in a 125 shifter kart, cars just feel slow. I would suggest to you not to go into 125 shifter class if you just getting started. If you would like to PM me for more information on either type of racing I can have my husband respond back with more info for you.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also heard the spec RX7 is cheaper. There's also the VW GTI Improved Touring class. Spec Miata sounds really fun though.
Old 01-11-2002, 06:17 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lots of bang for the buck. Everything I've heard about Spec Miata is good. I've never raced one but I've driven cars that were set up much like the spec Miata and they were a blast. I have autoXed a couple of Spec RX7's and while they were fun they just didn't do it for me. I'd go with the Miata over the 7 but the karts are awesome.
Old 01-11-2002, 06:57 PM

Hey guys this time last year I converted my 1994 miata over to a spec miata.....it is a blast. I actually thought about buying an S2000 but instead went racing .

Please check out my website @ www.blueridgeracing.com

What is cool about this car is that you can run it in regional SCCA, Pro Spec Miata and now it is classed in the Grand Am Cup STII class. With sponsor money I am going to try and do 20 plus races this year. Even though no racing is CHEAP,,,this class is rather inexpensive....a crate motor from Mazda Competition Parts delivered to your door is $1800....a great example of how inexpensive the series is...

Three websites for you:
www.specmiata.com
www.prospecmiata.com
www.racernetwork.com

Scott Fredricksen
Old 01-16-2002, 10:34 AM

A friend of mine bought a Miata and races it in the SCCA series. He's had a lot of fun with it and picked it up for really cheap.
Old 01-16-2002, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by Ichikawa27
If you want to race for cheap there is rx7 spec racing. My husband was going to do that. But if you want more bang for the buck, I would suggest you try karting. My husband did a lot of different type of racing, but he always returns to karting. He says after being in a 125 shifter kart, cars just feel slow. I would suggest to you not to go into 125 shifter class if you just getting started. If you would like to PM me for more information on either type of racing I can have my husband respond back with more info for you.
Could you post that info here I'm sure that others would be interested as well..
Old 01-16-2002, 09:22 PM

To anyone interested:

Kart racing has been the most intense and fun type of racing that I have ever taken part in. I raced Formula Ford, Formula Mazda, Showroom Stock Honda Preludes and Formula 2000. Nothing compares to a 125 Shifter Kart!

125 shifter karts can go 0-60 under 5 seconds. Pull way over 1.G in the corners with the right tires. The gear boxes are 6-speed sequential. The most damage you could do is maybe $500. I have topped out at $300. Best of all, you can work on it in the corner of your garage. No special tow vehicle is needed.

The karts can be purchased for about 4k for a good used one.

Your budget for a weekend after you get the kart:

Tires $120
Gas $20
Entrance fee $35
Engine parts $30

You get a lot of track time. Practice is only $10 a day at most tracks. Look at Feb Road And Track and read the article on Memo Gidley.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:50 PM
pll

Ichikawa27, thanks for the info. Those carts are so tiny. After I read about your husband's karting experience, I think I'll pass Just out of curiosity, do you have to change tires every weekend? Your price breakdown suggests that you will need new tires after each race. And $4K is almost half way to a SM, and I can probably use it as a beater on the street.

The Spec Miata class looks like a good, relatively inexpensive way to get some race experience. After seeing the wrecked S2000s at Laguna Seca, I am seriously considering putting together a SM so I won't have to take the S2000 to the track as often.

Quick Reply: cheap racing series