Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Digital Camera help

Old 08-09-2006, 08:27 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts
Default Digital Camera help

I think I might be picking up a digital camera for an upcoming vacation. I know nothing about them.

I am looking for these things

Sharp BRIGHT picture quality. I go to tropical places alot and nothing is worse than turqoise water looking dull in my photos.

Easy of transfer to my computer.

Decent zoom.

Prefer to spend less than $200.

Thats about it. I don't take that many pictures and can always upgrade in the future, don't know what else I should look for.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2006, 08:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bright colors are more a result of in-camera image manipulation than a "good camera." Fuji digital cameras offer an in-camera "film setting" that provides brighter-than-real colors, resembling their films. Certain Fuji films are known for "brighter than life" images versus Kodak's more accurate color renditions. And so they incorporate a "Chrome" setting in their cameras that duplicates the color rendition of some of their films.

If you want "bright" colors, I'd go with a Fuji. Their P&S lenses are as good as anybodies, they are no stranger to digital, and they offer a wide range of models to cover any price point. The more expensive models don't guarrantee a better picture, they just tend to offer more options and a wider sensitivity to light. Anything over 3 megapixels is going to give you excellent prints.

If you buy a camera with a high megapixel count with the intention of taking images at the highest setting, make sure you have enough memory card space. You don't want to fill up your card early in the trip.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:49 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I see from looking at the Best Buy Website my price target might be the hardest thing to deal with. As far as memory goes, I can not imagine taking more than 50 shots on a trip. Some people snap shots of everything and hope to get lucky, I take fewer pics.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:13 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I have a 2004 Nikon CoolPix 5200 for a point and shoot, and it is great. I think this is its sucessor:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;js...d=1134697745936

It is in your price range, and the Nikon technology is excellent. 3x zoom is decent. Not sure how it compares to what else is out there, but Nikon's menus are easy to use and my 5200 has not dissapointed me. My pictures in the Gallery under Grand Prix White shots were all taken with the 5200: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=m...ry&cmd=sc&cat=9

Also, fyi, once I went to digital, the number of pictures I took went up dramatically - they don't cost anything, and you can delete what you don't want, so I can easily take 200 pics a day Just need enough memory cards or a laptop to download to each night.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:26 PM

i guess i should have read this thread last night but it was a really impulsive purchase so i didn't do any research... i picked this up last night:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1134704163644

i got bored so i decided to go buy a digi-cam. hah... i've never had any experience with olympus. piece of crap? good stuff? kinda wanted to get some info while i can still return it if i need to. seems to be a spiffy camera.... it's TINY and really light. anything suggestions on something comparable in price/quality that would be a better deal?

and for the original post: invest in a camera that has a rechargeable battery!!! that's the biggest reason i bought a new camera. that AA battery nonsense is a pain in the ass, esp. on vacations.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C_Unit,Aug 9 2006, 06:26 PM
i guess i should have read this thread last night but it was a really impulsive purchase so i didn't do any research... i picked this up last night:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1134704163644

i got bored so i decided to go buy a digi-cam. hah... i've never had any experience with olympus. piece of crap? good stuff? kinda wanted to get some info while i can still return it if i need to. seems to be a spiffy camera.... it's TINY and really light. anything suggestions on something comparable in price/quality that would be a better deal?

and for the original post: invest in a camera that has a rechargeable battery!!! that's the biggest reason i bought a new camera. that AA battery nonsense is a pain in the ass, esp. on vacations.
C_Unit, here's the expert's conclusions:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_review...lus710_pg5.html

That's a great site to check out other cameras, as is www.dpreview.com

For better prices, try www.newegg.com or www.beachcamera.com, to name a couple.

Don't forget, you can save on sales tax by buying online. I just bought a camera on Amazon last week and got Next Day shipping for less than $4, and paid no sales tax.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:54 PM

www.dpreview.com
Old 08-10-2006, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by DiamondDave2005,Aug 9 2006, 05:18 PM
C_Unit, here's the expert's conclusions:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_review...lus710_pg5.html

That's a great site to check out other cameras, as is www.dpreview.com

For better prices, try www.newegg.com or www.beachcamera.com, to name a couple.

Don't forget, you can save on sales tax by buying online. I just bought a camera on Amazon last week and got Next Day shipping for less than $4, and paid no sales tax.
hey thanks! that was a really helpful link...

i don't have to worry about sales tax, i live in oregon. i also never have to get out of my car and pump my own gas. haha...

i used the camera yesterday at the lake and the pictures came out GREAT! it's a nice little camera... i need to go buy a new memory card though, the one that came with it i sjust not cutting it. i'll probably go get an extra battery too.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:04 PM

Can anybody help me pick between:

Casio EX-Z600
and
Fuji F650

Thanks
Old 08-10-2006, 03:35 PM

For traveling and convenience, I have a Panasonic Lumix 6.3MP (don't remember the exact model #); bought it for $350. It's just awesome and pretty, I love it!

For more of professional photos, we have a huge Canon EOS with over 10MP; bought for around $3000. That thing is awesome for quality pics but too inconvenient; good for professional photography though.

Quick Reply: Digital Camera help