Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Is a DLP tv right for me?

Old 08-06-2008, 08:15 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Thumbs up Is a DLP tv right for me?

I'm looking to get a new TV in a big room - the couch is an easy 16' from the far wall, and there's a love seat on a side wall. Think 17'x15' room with a tv centered on the 15' wall and a couch on the wall 17' away.

Since wall space isn't an issue, I was thinking DLP rear projection might be a good way to go. But I need a wide viewing angle and it will be a main tv, so movies, video games, daily tv watching, etc.

I'm also trying to find the best size. Since the couch is 16' away, I'm thinking 60" at least. Thoughts?
Old 08-06-2008, 08:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the biggest HD TV you can afford. You also want 1080p. don't settle for anything else!

DLP sits out in the room a lot when compared to a wall mount flat screen. I've had both and would never go back to DLP
Old 08-06-2008, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The title of this thread made me think of the old spice commercials with the people all asking "I have hair here and here, is Old Spice Hair and Body Wash right for me?"

I would go with DLP in that situation, personally. Though I'd likely try to have a piece of furniture around the TV to surround it on the sides and top and have it appear less of an intrusion on the room, and more a part of it, if you understand what I mean.

My boss picked up a 60" DLP and the image quality is spectacular. Can't recall which he bought, off hand. His sofa is about 10-12' from the TV
Old 08-06-2008, 08:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,Aug 6 2008, 09:22 AM
DLP sits out in the room a lot when compared to a wall mount flat screen. I've had both and would never go back to DLP
When was this? DLP's have gotten a lot better in recent years. More brightness and contrast.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K,Aug 6 2008, 04:41 PM
When was this? DLP's have gotten a lot better in recent years. More brightness and contrast.
I think he's just talking about the size.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:14 AM

i roll with a 52 inch LG plasma....It has one of the best pictures I have ever seen.

edit: and some of the most terrible OEM speakers I have ever heard.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:21 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyCB,Aug 6 2008, 12:37 PM
The title of this thread made me think of the old spice commercials with the people all asking "I have hair here and here, is Old Spice Hair and Body Wash right for me?"

I would go with DLP in that situation, personally. Though I'd likely try to have a piece of furniture around the TV to surround it on the sides and top and have it appear less of an intrusion on the room, and more a part of it, if you understand what I mean.

My boss picked up a 60" DLP and the image quality is spectacular. Can't recall which he bought, off hand. His sofa is about 10-12' from the TV
@ Old Spice.

I can put the tv on a media set with some shelving or cabinets on either side, so it being 8-12" deep isn't an issue. Even if I got a flatscreen, it wouldn't be wall mounted as I'm not a fan.

The room is huge, and the ceiling is vaulted to boot, so I'm not worried about coming off the wall. Mainly I'm interested in picture quality, ATSC, and size and viewing angle.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

72" Samsung DLP or 73" Mitsubishi DLP.. you have the room, so why not.

Or 60" Pioneer Kuro Plasma
Or 58" Panasonic or Samsung Plasma

Don't bother with a plasma from anyone else IMO.. or any other set under 60"
Old 08-06-2008, 09:27 AM

If space isn't a concern, I'd stick with DLP, you get more bang for the buck. The viewing angles are vastly improved and pictures can be just as good as LCD. I'm not a particular fan of Plasma. With a DLP you can go up to something like a 70" and have a great movie/hd experience. I had a 42" DLP and loved it. I have a 37" LCD for the time being now because of space constraints, but would love to pickup a 60-70 inch DLP down the road at some point.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:28 AM

if you want truer black representation, brighter colors, more viewing angle, and more screen for less cost DLP cant be beat

longer lamp life, great HD

they are not as sleek and sexy as plasma as far as thickness or wall mounting but....

I love my 56" samsung DLP

Quick Reply: Is a DLP tv right for me?