Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

experienced selling a car on ebay?

Old 02-06-2006, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default experienced selling a car on ebay?

any advice as to where to start and what to expect? maybe some articles i might read up on as to how to do it right. I'm doing all of the internet work of selling it for a relative as he is not internet inclined at all, but he wants to try to sell his car via the internet. any little bits of advice or help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
Old 02-06-2006, 11:59 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I sold a racecar through eBay a few years ago. The most important thing is to get as much important info as you can in the main title so that the car shows up when searched. Try different searchs as if you were buying a car to find what works best. Include as many detailed pictures as you can. Make sure they are clear and close up. Provide documentation to support its history. Timeslips, dyno sheets, traceable results. I prefer to set an opening bid with no reserve. The reserve chases many people away. Set the opening bid at the absolute minimum acceptable price. Of course, set a realistic price. Do some searching on completed auctions to see what similar cars sold for. Be quick with responses to bidders questions and have additional pictures ready to e-mail. Be prepared to quickly send pictures detailing areas specified by the bidder. Open and timely communications are key.

Don't be discouraged if it doesn't sell when the auction closes. I listed mine twice and it didn't sell either time. A week after the last auction, I received e-mails from two people that had seen it on eBay and sold it to one of them.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:07 PM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

do everything conedodge said above. it will cost you around $40 +/- depending on how many pictures you add, etc.

definitely don't give up if it doesn't go the first time. be prepared to relist if it doesn't go.

you'll also have to weed through the low-balling dip shits that throw out flat out rediculous offers but usually mixed in with all the is a real buyer ready to pay $$$

the dealership i work for sells cars and motorcycles on ebay and we do pretty well with it. we've had people from all over the US buy cars from us. definitely pretty neat the extremes people will go too for a good deal

good luck!
dan
Old 02-06-2006, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would AVOID Ebay. I had to relist my all original 1971 Plymouth Cuda 383 three times before it finally sold due to non-paying bidders. It was a major hassel contacting e-bay to get the listing fee refunded. When I sold my next classic which was a 1969 Nova 396, I did it thru http://www.carsonline.com/. No problems thru them and it was sold in one day! Much more reliable IMHO. Good luck.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for all the help! i'm listening!
Old 02-07-2006, 06:31 AM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

i do agree with zangerzone that if you can find a more classic car online classified site you might do better with that as far as getting more money and less low balls.

but as far as ebay goes the dealer i work for has never had any problems with people not paying and what not. usually people will contact you either by email or phone if they are truly serious. the ones that just throw up bids are usually just that and nothing more.