Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Friend in Trouble.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Friend in Trouble.

My friend has a part time job at sears autocenter. Recently the manager that hired him left and a new manager came into play. The new manager has hired a few new full timers. Now my friend has been told there are no available hours left so they don't schedule him because all the new comers are taking it all.

I feel like they're basically taking away his hours and trying to force him to quit. Either that or they're trying to get rid of him without actually laying him off.

He goes to school on the weekdays and works part time on the weekend. He's been working for 3 years and this is the first time it has happened. He needs money to support himself so I'm trying to help him.

What do you guys think he should do? Or rather, what can he do? Is it possible to collect unemployment from reduction of hours? He doesn't want to quit because he likes the job and does very well there.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:54 AM

Any kind of legal tips you'll get will be highly dependent on your state laws unless it's a discrimination issue then Federal laws will apply. He could try talking to the new boss about getting hours but it sounds like the boss keeps saying there just aren't any hours?

The new boss may quite well be trying to get rid of him with out the business terminating employment. In Washington state the unemployment insurance taxes a business pays is directly correlated to how many previous employees have used the service; this gives an incentive (at least here) to terminate employment like you describe - starve the employee out until they can't afford to continue waiting for you. There are no legal restrictions on termination of employment either (aside from discrimination), it's all financial incentive (In Washington).

Sounds like it's time for him to find a new job? I know it's flippant but I don't see what else there could be to do. Even if he can find a way to force the place to continue to give him hours does he want to work in an environment like that? Also, this is somewhat of a self-respect issue, as this employer has demonstrated they don't really have his best interests in mind anymore - they aren't treating him very well. Even if he can get some hours back he still might want to consider looking for a new job: it's a lot easier to find a job when you still have one and at least a new job won't have a proven history of denying him hours.

Sorry to hear about his problem Bosses screwing with my livelihood really stresses me out.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:41 AM

Time to find a new job, or ask to be relocated to another location/position.

Usually less hours are given when the employee is a poor performer or when there is a lack of commitment to the organizations goals. This can be the result of multiple factors, lack of communication is the big one (usually from the organizations side). If possible he should talk to his new supervisor and clarify the expectations and procedures.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm not suprised the new manager gave more hours to full timers instead of some part time dude that works weekends only.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by st4rk,Oct 4 2010, 02:46 PM
I'm not suprised the new manager gave more hours to full timers instead of some part time dude that works weekends only.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:33 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

wow, you're a really good friend.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:50 PM

Also life lesson - save save save save save save save (repeat constantly until spending money is a habit you have rid yourself of). The bigger your war-chest is the easier is to tolerate bumps in life like this.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:50 PM

There's something called constructive dismissal, which relates to the employer changing the nature of the position to the degree that the employee has no other option but to quit.

As was stated, employment law will varying depending on region, but it's likely there is a variant where your friend works. I'm not quite sure how it would apply to a part time employee. If your friend does some research into this, he could bring this law to his employer's attention, and indicate he is being forced out of his job. Their options could be to offer to restore the nature of his original work arrangement, provide a modest severance package and send him on his way, or do nothing and see if your friend feels like filing a claim or complaint with the local body that governs employment standards.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by triddle,Oct 4 2010, 03:50 PM
Also life lesson - save save save save save save save (repeat constantly until spending money is a habit you have rid yourself of). The bigger your war-chest is the easier is to tolerate bumps in life like this.
ZING! that advice has served me well over the decades.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does a manager have any obligation to PRN employees? He's a part timer as needed. If not needed, I don't think he has any official recourse at all.

Quick Reply: Friend in Trouble.