Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

The fundamentals of a service department

Old 10-16-2000, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could someone please explain to me how one would get a job as a service writer for a dealership? Does one attend school for this? It just occurred to me I never knew that information.

However the case, one thing's for sure, being knowledgable about cars is definately not a requirement. I'm quite confident of this. It would appear many I've come in contact with don't even really like cars, nor do they even like customers. I sometimes wonder why people do things they hate on an everyday basis.

I think if I were to have a service department in a dealership, I believe a service writer should be a graduated master technician, you know, the top of the food chain guy. The guy that gets the most technical jobs. These guys can't turn wrenches forever, so why not move them up to a job more suitable to those which have physical limitations which have developed over the years (ie, arthritis, hurt on the job, etc)? It's certainly a natural progression, and never again would you have a service writer who has no clue as to what stainless steel brake lines are, or what a "pumpkin" is.

Have I lost my mind to this exploding rear end, or what do you all think?

PS - no disrespect meant to anyone here who is a service writer, I am just generalizing those I've come into contact with in the last few years.
Old 10-16-2000, 10:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Service writers are people who weren't nice enough to be parking officers.
Old 10-16-2000, 10:43 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

What do you think they get paid?

You get what you pay for
Old 10-17-2000, 03:34 AM

Sometimes I think they're people who couldn't pass the Civil Service Exam.
Old 10-17-2000, 04:22 AM
Bieg

Have I lost my mind to this exploding rear end, or what do you all think?
If that is where your mind was in the first place.....

Old 10-17-2000, 04:40 AM

Moving to OT forum...and Bieg, please refrain from comments like that, especially since you weren't mentioned in the first place. And VT, please don't take the bait.

Jay
Old 10-17-2000, 04:47 AM

A friend of mine use to be a service writer for one of the local Ford dealerships.
They make more money than you think. Also he knows alot about cars, particularly the blue oval type.
But Honda is a different animal all together.
I admit I thought my service writer was a nice guy, former IHL player, but I don't think he knows much about cars.
I think Honda just looks for someone who can take a punch .
The Porsche dealership I use to frequent had some hot babes as service writers.
Now were talkin.
Old 10-17-2000, 05:11 AM

Some service writers make a percentage of the "service" they sell to the customer which explains some of the absurd statements I've heard from service writers such as: "If you change the brake pads, you must turn the rotors", etc. etc. I understand the job can be quite lucrative.
Old 10-17-2000, 05:42 AM

I thought Bieg's comment was meant to be funny and not a flame...and it WAS funny.

my opinion.

Laird
Old 10-17-2000, 06:47 AM

Yes, funny like this: http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...p?threadid=3527

Quick Reply: The fundamentals of a service department