Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Give me some career counseling please

Old 05-16-2002, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Give me some career counseling please

In High School I had a guidance counselor, in the Navy I had a career counselor, and now I just have s2ki.com

Here's the deal. Been working at the same company for 9 months now (long for me) and things are going great. For the most part, I'm very happy with the work, the environment, and my boss. So my friend goes and gets himself a new job and after working there for a few months tells me how much money he is making and how much I could be making and I almost shat myself. He told me about the job, and me being the type to never dispel an opportunity, I send my resume in to his boss.

So, things have gone well so far, and it sounds like a great job, with great security (5 yr govt. contract), they'll pay for a TS Q clearance for me, and give me a 50k per year raise , a move to a much lower cost of living area, and pretty slack work environment (govt).

The question is...what do I do now? Do I bail on my happy job now and get out of my comfort zone and make a helluva lot more money, or do I hang tight?

This has happened to me once before...I previously left a job I worked at for only 6 months (and I was very happy there) for a 40k raise and things worked out just fine. I thought that one was a once in a lifetime opportunity...now it is happening again. I really want to settle in one location and my goal is to only have one W-2 when I do my taxes - I really want to get comfortable in a company and stay there for a loong time.

When is this madness going to stop? WTF do I do? I know life isn't all about money, but it sure does help out

Your advice please...
Old 05-16-2002, 05:10 PM
Banned

you lucky dog, go for it
Old 05-16-2002, 05:27 PM

I agree, go for it. Take the chances when you can and make it work out for you.

The only drawback is its the GVT...it'll make your brain numb if you work with the regulars (sorry if anyone is in this situation as a full timer). Distance yourself if you can.

Hell 50k now is 50k less you need to work for when you want to retire.
Old 05-16-2002, 07:56 PM

I agree, take the jump. When your skill set is hot enough to warrant those kinds of increases it behooves you to take advantage of the situation.

Although a job change requires the stress of adapting to a new environment and proving yourself all over again it will certainly carry with it many benefits. It is a strategy that has served me well! Go where your skills are highly valued, it will bring out the best in you!

I'm a mover, although I spent almost 7 years at one gig, a very progressive shop, I move on average every 2 years. Although sometimes I think I might like to find a home and stick around a while.

The key, I think, if you want a place that is worth staying in a while, is that it is progressive and has an environment you can live with. A balancing act to be sure. One has to honestly evaluate one's own tolerance for stress, high demands and the need for additional skill sets. I've often endured very stressful job situations for the valuable skills I got from it.

I've usually shied away from govt gigs due to the increased bureaucracy and extra politics. Depends on the individual, some seem to thrive on that kind of thing!

Hope this helps, Moonpie!
Old 05-17-2002, 08:06 AM

If you are seriously thinking of leaving, & have pretty much made up your mind, tell your current employer & see if they will make some kind of counter offer to keep you. They may not offer 50k, but they may make an offer big enough to keep you. Then you still have your current happy working environment, & a raise! Can't hurt to try!
Old 05-17-2002, 08:12 AM

Received 1,180 Likes on 908 Posts

Go for it. $50K is a lot of money and you sound comfortable with the move.

DoGMan-

You have no neck.
Old 05-17-2002, 08:13 AM

Received 1,180 Likes on 908 Posts

Maybe you need a clone: NoNecKMan.
Old 05-17-2002, 08:24 AM

sorry, i hate to rain on your parade, but speaking from an employer's point of view, i'd be really careful about jumping around too much. you've been at your current job for 9 mo and are considering leaving and have done this once before; that previous job you'd been employed at for 6 mo and left. do you list these things on your resume? i'd personally be leary of hiring anyone who jumped jobs like that. now, i know you gotta do what's right for you so if you feel this is in your best interest then do it. but you say you're currently happy where you are. is it just the money making you leave? cuz the money won't always be there. the economy won't always be strong and later on they may ask you to take a pay cut when times are tough. the grass is always greener...........
Old 05-17-2002, 08:31 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shinojosa-lin
[B]sorry, i hate to rain on your parade, but speaking from an employer's point of view, i'd be really careful about jumping around too much.
Old 05-17-2002, 08:45 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shinojosa-lin
[B]sorry, i hate to rain on your parade, but speaking from an employer's point of view, i'd be really careful about jumping around too much.

Quick Reply: Give me some career counseling please