Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

have you ever pay off an old debt or promise?

Old 12-01-2008, 12:22 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Default have you ever pay off an old debt or promise?

Just curious if you ever hunted anyone down that you may have borrowed $ from or maybe made a promise to back 10-20 years ago?

I remember working at a bar and always eating their food for free.... a guy i worked with said "if I ever make decent $ i am going to pay them back".

ya right.... so even at a meager $2.00 per day for the better part of a year = $600.00... and that was back in 1991.... so convert into today's $ at just 5% per year = he would owe about $1500 to the owners.

I never really borrowed any money from anyone but I definately ate lots of free food at that bar. I would owe way more $ since I worked there 3+ years.

anyone ever pay back the $ they should....?
Old 12-01-2008, 01:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

read the title and I though dyhappy was back.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:17 PM

Location: All up in your inner tubes. Whatcha gonna do sucka?
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scot,Dec 1 2008, 01:22 PM
anyone ever pay back the $ they should....?
I rather not....
Old 12-01-2008, 01:37 PM

I had someone pay me back that I forgot I gave $10. He did it out of the blue, I was very drunk when I gave him the $10 and when he saw me 2 years later he gave it back.

So not 10-20 years, but 2 years... pretty neat.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:43 PM

When I was 19 I got credit card offers in my fathers name, which was only different by suffix and ssn. So i took all of them that came in, and ran up $9K in debt real quick. Instead of paying what I could, I quit paying at all. They closed my accounts and killed my credit. 3 years after that I was finally older and mature enough to understand, and called the 1st company to re-open the account for repayment only. After I payed it off after a couple of months, I did the same thing with the other 2 cards. I paid each and everyone in full. It killed my credit score to around 470. That little lesson lead me to the finance field, and now my score is 780. Had I not paid them back, they would have continued to ping my account as bad every 3 months. Was a tough time and lesson, but I did what I needed to do.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:38 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

^ that is a good story!!!!
Old 12-02-2008, 04:15 AM

I usually only borrow money if I haven't been to the ATM. I end up paying people back within a week.

But now that I think about it. 5 years ago, part of my Christmas gift from a g/f was to take me to the aquarium. Well, we broke up and she never took me. Will she ever? I doubt it.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't like owing people, so I don't tend to borrow much or ask for favors. Sure, I'll borrow a couple of bucks for a soda or for lunch if I don't have any cash on me and I don't want to use plastic, but I'll generally pay it back within a week or two.

I did have kinda the opposite thing happen to me. My sister and I had travelled to Hawaii together. We were using her hotel points and rental car points instead of paying for that stuff, and she gave me the impression that I didn't need to contribute anything for that. While travelling, I picked up my share of food, etc, so at the end of the vacation, I thought we were square, and she didn't say anything about me owing her money. Almost a year later, she lost her job, and suddenly she came knocking and told me that I was supposed to pay for half of the hotels & rental car stuff. Since we had stayed at some nice places, it ended up being ~$1500 that she suddenly wanted me to hand over. I understand she was in a tough spot because she lost her job, but it was still a douchey thing to do.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by kfar09,Dec 2 2008, 08:15 AM
I usually only borrow money if I haven't been to the ATM. I end up paying people back within a week.

But now that I think about it. 5 years ago, part of my Christmas gift from a g/f was to take me to the aquarium. Well, we broke up and she never took me. Will she ever? I doubt it.
so similar. i told a girl i was going to bring her to an aquarium...stopped talking to her shortly after

recently, i went to europe with a friend whose parents have tons of disposable income. he led me to believe that they were paying for our skydiving, cell phone usage, etc. i get an email out of the blue from his mom asking me to pay her back for the sky diving...i did... but he never said a thing about it to me. the worst part is, she started asking me to pay for his cell phone bill since we used it to contact MY family which was housing us...i never returned that email
Old 12-02-2008, 12:27 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scot is this part of a 12 step program?

Quick Reply: have you ever pay off an old debt or promise?