Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Home Firewall/VPN Sonicwall/Netgear?

Old 03-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Ash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home Firewall/VPN Sonicwall/Netgear?

Anyone every VPN back into their home for files or streaming?

I was looking to see if there were any devices out there that I could set up at home that would allow

1) me to login somehow from wherever I was and establish a vpn so I can get in and grab some files or stream some mp3's off my NAS
2) allow me to connect to my other friends who might some a similar device to create a vpn and share files and junk

At first I was looking at the Netgear FV(W/S)318's... then a friend suggested on a slightly more expensive route SonicWall TELE3 or Soho3 units.

Anyone else tried either of these units and can tell me a bit about whether or not they'll achieve the functionality I'm looking for?

throw in wireless as well if it's not too much more..
Old 03-07-2004, 10:42 AM
Banned

I don't know about VPN hardware, but my Linksys broadband router allowed me to connect to my work's VPN with no interference. I ran MS VPN software on my PC, and apparently there was a VPN server at work. There was no way to initiate a VPN to my PC without being at the PC. If you learn to use FTP software, you can ftp things back and forth. If you have Windows XP Pro, you can also telnet into your PC, executing commands on it as if you were there. XP Pro comes with an FTP server and a telnet server - you have to install them after the initial set-up.

It really sounds like you want the ability to transfer files from your home PC to whatever PC you happen to be using. If this is the case, running an ftp server on yopur home PC would be the easiest option. No new hardware to buy, and free ftp servers are available (sambar.com).

Setting up an ftp server on a home network is no piece of cake, but it isn't too hard for a home user to figure out.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:45 AM
Ash

I have 5 IP's.... I'm trying to get from somewhere BACK INTO MY HOME.... I'm familiar with VPNing into work.. I'm looking for the same functionality, albeit on a smaller scale and at a cheaper price... I don't wanna pay big $$ for a cisco pix or nortel vpn concentrators and such... the ones I listed above look like they might do the trick.. just wondering if anyone on here has taken a look at them.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sonicwal VPN boxes work fairly well. I've used them before for setting VPN solutions for job trailers and I've never had any issues with them.