Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

I need to purchase a bar be que

Old 04-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Former Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Default I need to purchase a bar be que

My first barbeque. I am used to a small portable unit, with the small screw on propane tanks, that last for 3 barbeque meals.

I don't know much about barbequing, but from what I have looked at, all propane units are cheap looking. If I am going to spend big dollars, I want something that will last forever. i know nothing lasts forever, but!

I have interest in the biggreeeng grill, which is charcoal only. It is pretty expensive in canada. Close to 1500 for a small size egg. The problem is there is only one dealer in my city, and they may be charging what they want for it. I can not find any other vendor who would ship this heavy grill to me. If I buy propane I will only spend max 200. they don't last.

Are there any barbeque/grill pros out there that could lend advice.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my dad has a Big Green Egg (i think they sell them mainstream at Kitchen, Etc now) as well as a Kamado. Loves them both and uses them almost daily. May also want to check out Holland Grills as well.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:39 PM

Can't go wrong with a Weber Genesis series grill.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:57 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My dear sweet Canookie, you're not going to get a really good gas grill for under $200. I went through several before I stepped up and bought a nice Stainless grill. I use it several times a week almost year round and after 4 years I haven't needed to rebuild it yet. After the summer I'm sure I will.

The egg is a great product and food may taste better cooked on it but I'm spoiled by the ease of using gas.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:05 PM

Be careful with those build-it-yourself BBQ pits...they can be harder than they seem

Old 04-23-2008, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kadeshpa,Apr 23 2008, 09:39 PM
Can't go wrong with a Weber Genesis series grill.
Can't go wrong with a Weber.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by CG,Apr 23 2008, 06:57 PM
My dear sweet Canookie, you're not going to get a really good gas grill for under $200. I went through several before I stepped up and bought a nice Stainless grill. I use it several times a week almost year round and after 4 years I haven't needed to rebuild it yet. After the summer I'm sure I will.

The egg is a great product and food may taste better cooked on it but I'm spoiled by the ease of using gas.
so...you're saying the $89 propan grill walmart has on sale is probably...no good?
Old 04-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by mingster,Apr 23 2008, 09:15 PM
so...you're saying the $89 propan grill walmart has on sale is probably...no good?
I assume CG is saying that yes! but, from my mom and dad's experience they spent 500 on a barbeque that seemed decent at the time. It looks like crap, needs new burners, the outside is the shits. So this is why my comment - if I buy a propane grill, it will be cheap, because they appear to be throw away. anyway.

I don't need a large kitchen size grill. I do minimal entertaining, and I invite my parents over occasionally. So the grill needs to be smaller in size.

In the end, propane is quick and easy to use, the biggreenegg is only 10 mins to heat up according to their website and the heat is a lot hotter than what gas can provide.

I really am a noobie when it comes to barbeques.

I can always count on CG to guide me
Old 04-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Backspin23,Apr 23 2008, 09:05 PM
Be careful with those build-it-yourself BBQ pits...they can be harder than they seem

I hear ya! assemble your self stuff can be a real pain in the butt
Old 04-23-2008, 08:19 PM

Natural gas grilles are a gift from god. Never have to worry about running out of propane and no tanks to deal with. I just turn the dial and I am good to go, every time. I bought a stainless Charbroil grille for $350 from Lowe's and it has served me very well for the last 12 months and still looks brand new.

Quick Reply: I need to purchase a bar be que