Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

I Tried To Do The Right Thing Last Saturday Night

Old 12-20-2005, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Tried To Do The Right Thing Last Saturday Night

I was on my way home from from a show I'd done in Long Beach last Saturday night. On the Eastbound 91 freeway between Kraemer and Tustin a car - call it "car A" - tried to exit the carpool lane illegally, and another car - "car B" - prevented it from doing so, so car A gave up. Then car B moved ahead of car A and into the carpool lane illegally, and car A pulled out of the carpool lane illegally. Still with me? Car A started changing lanes like mad, over to the right, onto the shoulder, back to the left, then to the right again and so on until he was immediately ahead of car B. Just before Lakeview car A slammed on his brakes, smoking his tires. Car B hit his brakes and was rear-ended by a flatbed pickup truck; car A, unscathed, took off.

I kept up with car A trying to get some identification while phoning 911; car A had no rear license plate. I described the accident to the Highway Patrol officer who answered, told her that car A was a blue coupe with no rear license plate heading Eastbound on the 91 just past Imperial and that I was trying to get a better description. I hung up, then phoned my wife to tell her that I was going to be a bit late as I'd just passed the offramp to my home.

I caught up with car A just before Green River - he was in the #2 lane and I was in the #4 lane - when he again nearly stopped in the middle of the freeway; no smoke this time but plenty of startled drivers. I slowed down, he passed me, and I tried to see what make and model the car was. It was a Mitsubishi, but I couldn't read the model - it was in raised silver letters on the left rear corner; it was a something-ES. I phoned 911 again and told the officer that I had the make, the color, and some other details like a red decal in the bottom center of the rear window and bluish lights on the dash - probably around the speedometer. I had lost sight of car A somewhere near the 91/15 interchange, about 20 miles from the original accident site. I got off the freeway, phoned my wife to tell her that I was on my way back, and drove home.

I hope that they can catch this jerk; I only wish that I'd been able to get something better to identify the car.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:11 PM

Wow. Kudos to you.

I can't stand arrogant jerks on the road. I'd have to venture a guess that the majority of non-dui related accidents can be attributed to tail gaters and aggresive drivers.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Narc! Just kidding. I think you did good. Road rage should never pay...
Old 12-20-2005, 11:10 PM

Galant ES?
Old 12-21-2005, 05:31 AM

I'm guessing it was a Galant, I believe Mirages only used stickers for badges.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:59 AM
Former Moderator

for being a good citizen.