Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Job change *might go work for the enemy (Nissian) Advice needed

Old 05-17-2003, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Job change *might go work for the enemy (Nissian) Advice needed

Ok I will keep this as short as possible. REALLY long story short, I work with my Dad (he is Gen. Manager) as Ops. Manager at local Cemetery. I really enjoy my job (believe or not, even though it can be depressing at times, it feels good to help people in their time of need) and 99% of the time get along extremely well with my Father.....

Now after 35 years of marriage they (my parents) are having problems. My Dad (who is VERY stubborn) under any circumstances will not talk to my Mother. Well to say the least he has been a complete A-Hole at work, specifically to me at times, and it is wearing thin. This week he has made some comments that make me question why I'm working there. I have eaten about 1 meal a day, can't sleep, don't feel social, seem 'angry' more often, just drained basically from the last 2 weeks. To put into perspective, I did not go to an auto-x last Sunday because of lack of motivation, sheesh.

I have a good friend working at a Nissian Dealer (selling), he is making some real good money doing it. I have worked on commission sales before, and did really good. I also feel (although I'm no expert by any means) that I 'know' cars much better then your average person. I'm confident that selling new cars would not be too hard for me Any experiences with car sales?

Question: How the hell do I tell my Dad this, without it killing him? I know he is not doing emotionally better then me. I don't want this to 'send him over the edge' or anything. However under the current conditions (seeing no matter what I say, I can't get him to talk to Mom) I don't see it getting any better at work. I feel like I'm backed into a corner
Any advice would be appreciated
Steve
Old 05-17-2003, 01:47 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yours is a problem that is very complex. I would suggest taking time off if you have some to take and then go away. While away take a look at the situation and decide. Additionally take a piece of paper and write the pro's and con's of each choice and see which are more appealing.
Old 05-17-2003, 03:09 PM

Thanks s2000raj, maybe I will 'tough' it out until after Memorial Day, no time off allowed this month, with 6000+veterans there you can imagine the prep work. I have 3 weeks of vacation, plus some personal time. Just have to wait 10 more days. I'm just glad that I saved some cash (was going to mod my S) so if I must, I can live out of the bank for bit But to boot, I'm moving into my first house at the end of the month. Ack it just keeps getting deeper.
Steve
Old 05-17-2003, 06:26 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s2000raj
[B]Yours is a problem that is very complex.
Old 05-18-2003, 04:00 AM

its always hard when u work with family, even harder if u own the business, do u??
maybe u should get couselling or use mediation, a third party can often be a better judge of things.
i guess it depends on the level of stress u have at work and the problems u r having. if it has nothing to do with business then i suggest the counseller to work out ur personal problems, especially for ur dads sake
Old 05-18-2003, 04:59 AM

No one actually 'owns' the cemetery, it is set up as a non-profit business. But yes my Father and I, I guess technically stand as #1 and 2 in the company. That is what makes this kind of hard also, it is very common in the death care industry to have 2nd 3rd or even 4th generations of a family take over.

Any income above and beyond buying equiptment, operational costs, etc. goes into a perpetual care fund. This is so when there is no more available space, there is an account that has been invested to allow for a monthly income for grounds matainence.

Well as far as a 3rd party mediator, you don't know my Dad. Don't ask him what he thinks of psychologists. Believe me he won't even entertain the idea of a counseller helping I got Monday off of work, I'm going to pull him out for lunch, hopefully he has calmed down a little and maybe try to talk some sense into him again.
Steve
Old 05-18-2003, 09:31 PM

Atleast if you go to Nissan you wont give buyers crap about how much the s2000 sucks?
Old 05-19-2003, 06:09 AM

LOL@SanchothePanda,
I have got into small 'pissing' matches with just about every sales guy there by now Let's just say, that I was told that the S2k is slower in strait line, can't hold a corner like a 'Z car', and one of the guys told me it was a death trap. To name the big 'no no's'.

Well thank you s2ki, got the crash test results from NHSTA, printed off numerous threads about encounters (showing it is a drivers race >100mph). Then I nailed them about the handling. I asked "does the 'Z car' out perform a Boxster in the corner?" Answer "no, it is a Porsche man!", when I showed them the results of SCCA Nationals in BS from last year. Lets just say their jaw hit the floor Most of them leave the Bull Sh*t at the door now when I visit my friend.

I have always believed in selling through educating your customer. Builds good reporte (sp?) and gets you repeat customers. I just hope they don't expect me to push made up facts about cars, I won't last long.
Steve
*Edit-They (at least most of them) still don't believe me it is a drivers race in a strait line. They get a few more Z's this week, they have one demo I believe (should have enough miles to be broken in). I think I have convinced one of the guys to come out and play at the end of the day. I told him "I will bring the camera to settle this strait line thing". He smiled and noded. PLEASE GOD don't let him beat me, I will NEVER hear the end of it lol. I'm confident though that I should be able to outdrive an uneducated, non-enthesiests
Old 05-19-2003, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by SanchothePanda
Atleast if you go to Nissan you wont give buyers crap about how much the s2000 sucks?
I went to a HONDA dealership this weekend and the idiot salesman was talking me into buying a 350Z on their lot after I made it clear i was looking for an S!!! He was totally making fun of the S, I was like excuse me??? Then he goes on to say, you might as well buy an accord and add a few bolt ons and it will be just as powerfull. What a useless head, anyways uber-s2k, raj is right, it is a very complex situation, my advice would be to get some professional help and maybe try to get your parents to go to family counseling....It is hard to be rational when one is angry. Hope everything gets better.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

talk to a s2k member, ninedeep, he works for nissan....

Quick Reply: Job change *might go work for the enemy (Nissian) Advice needed