Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Lasik eye surgery?

Old 12-16-2007, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lasik eye surgery?

I'm thinking about getting Lasik. I have about a week to decide so I can arrange my flexible spending account properly.

I went in for the consultation already so all that's left is to make an appointment. I do have some questions where I'd like to get an independent opinion.

Has anyone here gotten it? Custom cornea or the standard lasik?

They said they were going to cut the flap with a laser and use some bubbles to lift up the flap along with some suction.

My main questions is the long term effects. What are the experiences of people who got it 10 years ago? Is your vision still good?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Former Moderator

I had mine done about 3 years ago now, and so far they are just as good as the day I had it done. It was just standard lasik, as this new stuff didn't exist when I had it done. But the healing time was quick, and there wasn't much discomfort.

I don't like that I can't see close up like I used to, and I'll no doubt need reading glasses eventually, but it was well worth the trade off.

Find a Dr. you trust, that has lots of surgeries under his belt.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:13 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

are you in northridge, CA? go to Maloney at UCLA. the best of the best.
pricey though.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:25 PM

Got LASIK from Dr. Scott Hyver in San Jose, CA about 6 yrs ago-- one of the best things I've ever done.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:35 PM
jah

make sure you have enough material for 1 or 2 corrections after the initial surgery.

i had the procedure about 1999.

my distance vision is functional but i have significant astigmatism (an unevenly shaped eye surface). they also over corrected and my near vision is not as good as possible, good enough to read a newspaper tho. i am thinking a successful surgery requires they map the eye accurately up front and its all computerized after that. my impression the whole thing is automated so go for the latest and greatest software hardware, screw the doc.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:49 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

[QUOTE=jah,Dec 16 2007, 07:35 PM] make sure you have enough material for 1 or 2 corrections after the initial surgery.

i had the procedure about 1999.

my distance vision is functional but i have significant astigmatism (an unevenly shaped eye surface).
Old 12-16-2007, 08:18 PM

did anyone get different distances in each eye?
one for near, the other for far vision.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:35 PM

I had it done about 6 years ago. Agree with the above, being the best thing I have ever done. I use eye drops 2 to 6/7 times a day. I hear some people need to use them more. When I first had the sugery done used them every few hours, then over about a year my used dropped to the 2 to 6/7 times a day.
Healing is very fast, really did not hurt at all. Just feels odd having your eyes held open.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by JDM 4shot,Dec 16 2007, 11:35 PM
I use eye drops 2 to 6/7 times a day. I hear some people need to use them more. When I first had the sugery done used them every few hours, then over about a year my used dropped to the 2 to 6/7 times a day.
Just curious, is that normal? Do most people have to use eye drops regularly? What is the reason, if you don't mind me asking - dryness? Prescirption or over the counter eye drops?

Sorry for all the questions - I'm considering getting LASIK next year.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:54 AM

I think I would rather wear glasses than have to put eyedrops in several times a day for the rest of my life. My dad this surgery and is real happy with it, but I'm just real leery of it. I don't really mind wearing glasses now.

Quick Reply: Lasik eye surgery?