Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Musical instruments

Old 04-06-2016, 04:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
Originally Posted by TrumpetTitan' timestamp='1459880617' post='23929020
My screen name is a good hint at what I majored in.
Wearing capes, railing Al Cass, and telling the guy sitting next to you how Arturo (or Bud Herseth, depending) would have done it differently?
Bud Herseth personally. I'm less skilled in the Arturo school of thought.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was my gear some months ago, I recently added an EMU Vintage Keys keyboard, I'm into Prog Rock, but I nearly don't play since months, I need to pick it up again some day when I find some more free time...

Musical instruments-5p0gckk.jpg

* Aria Pro II Cardinal Series CS-350 Electric Guitar (the red one, Japan made): this was my first decent guitar and I still play it sometimes for the cleaner, more jazzy stuff. I replaced the neck pickup by a Seymour Duncan and I installed a Floyd Rose tremolo bridge and it's a pretty nice sweet guitar.

* Carvin DC135T Electric Guitar (the blue one, US made): this is the one I play the most, good for the heavier stuff and soloing. 1-piece construction, 24 frets neck, Floyd Rose tremolo bridge, humbucker in the bridge and single coils in middle and neck, phase shifter...

* Fender Gemini II acoustic guitar (made in Korea): this was a present and I have never been fond of its sound or playing feel, I would have never bought it myself. Perhaps one day I will be able to afford a Gibson J-200...

* Peavey Fury bass (US made): following the Fender Precision style, it's nothing serious but it's fine for me, I'm not really a bass player anyway so for my needs it's good enough.

* Yamaha GW50 multi-FX pedalboard: works as single effects pedals or as a multi-FX combinations with 128 factory presets and 128 user presets, more than enough for an amateur like myself, I'm fine with it.

* Boss GT-10 multi-FX pedalboard: I bought this one recently out of a 'buying rush' and I still don't know what to say, it's extremely powerful but you need to spend a lot of time to master it (which I have not done yet). I don't think it's practical as a single effects pedalboard because it does not have independent knobs for each effect's parameters, everything needs to be programmed one by one by menus and a few buttons and a selection wheel, it seems more meant to program your own multi-fx presets and then play with those, and I'm still far from understanding all what it takes. Of course it has many good factory presets too but I'm still a bit lost with it.

* Yamaha PSR2100 Keyboard: this was also a present, I would have never bought it myself. The built-in sounds are not very exciting for rock playing, it's more the kind of keyboard for programming all the rhythms and backing tracks and then play the melodies on top to entertain the old guests at an hotel lounge bar in the evening, but OK, recently I bought the EMU Vintage Keys keyboard so this one will go to the attic or to eBay I guess.

* E-Mu Vintage Keys keyboard (not in the pic): I just bought this one 2nd hand and I still need to learn about it, but it has many vintage sounds, Moogs, Mellotrons, ARPs, Oberheims, Rhodes, Wurly's, CP70 and so on, so it should be fun.

* Hughes & Kettner Attax Series Tour Reverb Amp: 100W, a pretty nice guitar amp.

* Peavey Audition 30W Amp: just for home practicing, I nearly never use it having the H&K, I use it mainly for the keyboard

I have also a bass amp SWR Engineering "Basic Black" sitting at some friend's place and I am also co-owner of a Roland U-20 keyboard which sits at a friend's place for years (the other co-owner).

In any case, I can't complain about gear, what I need now is starting to play again!
Old 04-10-2016, 05:57 AM

Been playing for 20+ years.

One of my sets (have a another and a slew of extra gear).

Old 04-10-2016, 08:53 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Gerinski, nice gear. How do you like that Carvin guitar?

Jdrum1, how does your neighbors like your drumming?
Old 04-10-2016, 09:41 AM

And, that's why I've never lived in an apartment!
Old 04-11-2016, 12:13 AM

I always thought Spencer Dryden was one of the more under-rated drummer. Love some of his intros, in the JA days. With that wicked Jack Casady bass line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnJM_jC7j_4
Old 04-16-2016, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Gerinski, nice gear. How do you like that Carvin guitar?
The Carvin is really nice, it has a very light action, the clean sound is not as good as with a Strat or a Les Paul but I mostly play with some distortion or overdrive. I'm just an amateur and I haven't much tried many other guitars, but for what I have tried it feels more like some of the Ibanez metal-oriented guitars.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My collection.

My music: Facebook.com/AnalogCrashRocks
Old 05-20-2016, 04:15 PM

Cool! What amps you play those PRS through?
Old 05-21-2016, 06:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by windhund116
Cool! What amps you play those PRS through?
My only amp now is a Fender 2x12 Reverb Combo. Get really nice cleans out of it. I have a pedal board to get the nice and crunchy sounds out of. Boss Mega Distortion, EQ, Noise Suppressor, Chorus, Digital Delay. The orange one and the acoustic are both tuned a half step down. The blue one is in drop Bb. She is wayyyy down low. LOL.

Most of the shows I play are acoustic shows, so the acoustic PRS Angelus gets a LOT of love. It is such a sweet playing guitar. It is so loud and projects so much that the guy who plays with me in our acoustic duet has his guitar turned up twice as loud to mix.

Quick Reply: Musical instruments