Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

My computer sucks, I need a new one

Old 10-11-2004, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My computer sucks, I need a new one

My computer is almost 6 years old. It craps out about every 5-10 minutes if I am on the internet. If I try to go to Google or Ebay, my computer freezes. It is slow and has trouble running multiple simple programs (dont even think about trying to run Kazaa with anything else).

I definitely need a new computer, and I will probably get a dell. I dont see myself using wireless internet (simply because I have never had the chance to), so I dont really think I want to spend the extra $$ to get a laptop. My question is, what kind of requirements should I have in terms of processor clock speed, RAM, graphics card, etc. I want a fast computer, but I dont want to spend $3,000 for it -I need value.

My needs:
-Running multiple programs (word/excel, Kazaa/winamp, game/internet explorer)
-ability to play games
-SOMETHING RELIABLE

What I dont need:
-digital movie editing
-ultra high-end gaming sound and graphics (I dont play games that often

Also, should I reconsider my choice to not look at laptops?
Old 10-11-2004, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check these reviews out...

http://reviews.cnet.com/Desktops/2001-3118...?tag=cnetfd.dir
Old 10-11-2004, 09:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If I were you, I'd build one. You can customize it and prices are about the same or less.

Dell used to be a power user brand, but now they are a mass-marketer and their systems have gone downhill and their support SUCKS. A few years back, they employed extremely competent support staff but no more. EVERY PC vendor is like this now

There are good brands like Alienware, voodooPC and some others. they are specialty makers.

Here's what will do you nice:

3.0Ghz Intel P4 or 2.0Ghz AMD Athlon64 (preferred...lots faster ) ($160)
Decent top brand board...Asus, Abit, MSI, DFI, Gigabyte ($120)
512MB-1GB RAM (80-$150)
120-160GB hard drive ($110)
ATI X700 or Nvidia 6600 vid card (150-$200...absolutely necessary for gaming!)
GOOD, stable power supply...Antec, Vantec, Thermaltake, PC power and cooling ($70-$100)
Basic-pimp case ($20-$200)

Total: $700 and up, plus monitor

You can reuse the keyboard/mouse/monitor.

If you do decide to buy a system...DO NOT GET A CELERON! They absolutely suck suck suck suck suck.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:58 AM

If I built that system, how long would it take, and how much knowledge would I have to have? I have never done anything more technical than installing upgraded RAM on my old computer, so I dont know if I could assemble a whole one.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:06 AM

than you could get a local computer store to make you one for pretty cheap. Dell is good for cheap comps but I HATE the way they restore their computers (meaning if it crashes and everything is gone, you GOTTA use their disc because there are drivers that must be installed to properly work, instead of just using a normal Windows XP installation disc aka no extra crap or uneeded software on your computer, slowing it down even moreso)
Old 10-11-2004, 10:35 AM

I got my parents a Dell 4600 and so far everything has worked out very well with it. It is almost a year old now and they haven't had a single problem with it.

If you are looking for something a bit cheaper, i got my sister an eMachine to take to college and that too seemed like a very nice computer for the price. It is only a few months old, but so far everything is working out just fine with it. I believe eMachine in Gateway's budget line. I've never been too impressed with Gateway's though, I just thought they were very cheaply built, I did not get that feeling with the eMachine.

I custom built my own computer and it doing so I got everything exactly how I wanted it for a really good price. In my experience though, custom built computers do require a lot more tinkering around and generally a little more maintaince work. Also remember you have to buy, or "buy", all the software that is normally included with a premade system.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:38 AM

Old 10-11-2004, 12:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Saab9-3,Oct 11 2004, 09:58 AM
If I built that system, how long would it take, and how much knowledge would I have to have? I have never done anything more technical than installing upgraded RAM on my old computer, so I dont know if I could assemble a whole one.
If you can follow directions, probably 4 hours. motherboard manuals will have a step by step.

Everything has a place The hardest thing is installing XP, and that's even easy. the hard part is remembering to set the bios to boot from the XP CD. It's easy, but it's the hard part.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:03 PM

it sounds like your problem is an OS problem and not really a problem with your computer per say. you computer have probably accumulated a bunch of junk programs and spyware over the past 5-6 years that are clogging up your cpu/memory. if i were you, i'd do a clean install to see if that irradicates the problem. if you really want to buy a new computer, then go ahead, but at least if you do a clean i stall on the old puter, you can keep it as a second computer in another room, or sell it or give it away to someone else.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:20 PM

the words "RELIABLE" and "DELL" really shouldn't be used in conjunction with each other in the same post, much less the same sentence..

Quick Reply: My computer sucks, I need a new one