Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

My daughter a prodigy?

Old 10-11-2007, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My daughter a prodigy?

Does this sound like a prodigy child in the making?

I have a 5 yr-old daughter who's in preschool. At the age of 2, she was able to remember most TV commercials. By 3, she'd learnt how to read and write and perfected in working the VCR, DVD players and remote controls. And by 4, she was able to solve a lot of puzzles. Now she's 5 and in preschool, we've been told many times by the teachers that she's the quickest and brightest kid in her classes. They often have contests in which any student finishes the assignments first would get an ice cream, and she has always won the ice cream (the teachers told us that). A genius in the making?

I've been around and observed several children throughout the years and she seems to be the brightest and has the signs of a special intelligence quotient. I'm pretty sure she'll excel in higher schools. Just looking into her eyes, I can tell there's a special intelligence inside. I'm not going to pressure her into becoming or doing anything, but I have high hopes for her because she seems extremely bright, and I'm not just saying that because I'm her father. My other child wasn't as bright as she, to be honest.

What do y'all think?

P.S. Share stories of your children too, but only if they are truthful.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:14 PM

Received 1,180 Likes on 908 Posts

I think you are right. You are very lucky. Guide her growth carefully and thoughtfully. Good luck!
Old 10-11-2007, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Raptor,Oct 11 2007, 03:14 PM
I think you are right. You are very lucky. Guide her growth carefully and thoughtfully. Good luck!
Thanks! I will guide her to be a good, compassionate person, but professionally, she can go whatever route she'd want (with the exception of a few ), meaning I won't force her to be a doctor, scientist, etc. She can do whatever'll suit her personality (again, with the exception of a few ).
Old 10-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Banned

If she is a gifted student, just make sure that your school district can put her in the proper classes. Skip her if need be. If not, look into private schooling that can accomodate her. A great mind needs challenging, no matter the age.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:36 PM

Thumbs down

no kids here but I was in the gifted and accelerated programsfrom 5 till about 15.

have her tested for gifted learning and IQ and all the other good stuff. OFFER her the option of persuing the gifted classes.

I was in those classes all through my school life and somewhere in the middle it became a chore for me and by the time I hit high school, I rejected the whole notion.

Just like sports or music or ballet or anything you can sink too deep into, dont become a zealot of it towards your child.

Inform them and guide them but do not push or force them. you will lose in the long run and the child will not benefit from it.

good luck and learn with her!!!

if she participates in the programs she will have the opportunity to very neat things along the way.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Former Moderator

Everyone in my neighborhood thinks their kid is gifted. I must live in a development with the highest population of gifted children in the entire world.

There is also a difference between gifted or intelligent and a prodigy or genius. The smartest kid in the class, the one with all A's still isn't skipping grades and graduating Harvard at 18 or writing symphonies.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in a gifted and talented program as a child.. but look at me now. Don't get your hopes up.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:11 PM

prodigy is someone like mozart, beethoven, tiger, bobby fisher. people who excel beyond the realm of superstardom at someething usually at a very early age.

the case here is probably a child of exceptional IQ which really does not make someone all that smart on its own. she should be afforded every opportunity to become educated and she should probably be tested for musical, physical excellence in what she feels comfortable with.

A high IQ is a good foundation to becoming exceptionally smart and gifted but that potential has to be properly tapped and stimulated.

very exciting!!! good luck to you and your daughter.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Most of the "genius" people I went to school with wound up burnt out or "alternative" by the time they went to college. Most of the people I grew up with that eventually became doctors and lawyers were the ones who did "okay" but balanced well.

To be "successful" in society today, you need emotional development. I see people neglecting that side of their children's development.

If I could have my kid be the "brightest" but socially maladjusted vs "pretty bright" and socially adept.... I'd pick the latter 100x.

There's a saying: "fire breeds ash." Be careful of things that burn too brightly... they often have a difficult time sustaining light.

Two words: Michelle Wie.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:50 PM

I was kidding when I used "prodigy" because I have no idea what would qualify as one. But she honestly does seem very intelligent for her age, well so beyond my other child, her friends, and children of my relatives. I'll just wait to see how she'll be when she gets older.

As I've said, I'll guide her to be a good person, beyond that is up to her. But one thing is almost for certain, she won't be socially inept because she is very talkative and active with her friends, girls and boys.

Btw, Tiger Woods is a prodigy? He's a good golfer but I wouldn't call him a prodigy. Also, what did you mean by "Michelle Wie"?

Oh, when she's older, I'll have her take an IQ test to find out.

Can't you see the intelligence in her eyes?

Quick Reply: My daughter a prodigy?