Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

My dog attacked by pitbull. (very long)

Old 06-16-2004, 07:21 AM

Received 426 Likes on 300 Posts

First let me say that my dog, Chewbacca, is a wuss of a dog. That's the kind of dog I like, I do not need to feel macho by getting some big mean beast, I wanted a dog that is friendly weith everyone, especially little kids. Chewie is a Keeshond, a fluffy small sled dog that looks like a Chow Chow, but they are completely harmless, and pretty much defenseless dogs. Anywho....I was walking him around the neighborhood and suddenly this dog about fifty yards ahead of us is coming at us on the dead run. This does not alarm me because most dog owners know that when you walk them, a lot of times another dog will come running at you and stop when they get there to check out you dog, they are not threatening. When the thing got about ten yard from me, I saw the anvil like head of a pit bull and freaked.

The dog basically tackles my dog, locks onto his throat and starts thrashing, trying to kill my dog. My cute little fuzzball is on his back, screaming this sick sounding squeel that I can still hear, his eyes looking at me with a terrified stare. My dog is my family, you don't mess with him. I pounced on the freaking thing and tossed it. I only was able to throw it about five feet. The pit bull is back on its feet immediatly, and I fling the leash on my dog so as to put myself between the two, my dog is only 30 pounds, and since I was amped and used too much force, my dog goes airbourne. The pitbull goes after him and I am spinning around with my dog in the air, basically giving him a helicopter ride by his neck and the pitbull is chasing it around for about two circles until the owner gets there and grabs his dog.

I go serious f'bomb mode and rip this guy a new one. He looks like trouble, kinda scraggily, face jewlry, etc. I was expecting an arguement, but he just took everything I fired at him and was apologetic. That is ONLY REASON I gave him a break. He also had a severe stutter and I felt kinda sorry for him. I told him I was calling the cops so that there would be a report and he would have to keep the thing on a leash AT ALL TIMES, and stormed of to my house, only three houses away.

I made the call, they were sending a squad and I went outside to wait and saw him getting something out of his car. I waved him over, and since I was somewhat calmed down, shook his hand and introduced myself. He asked me if I would not call the police because it was a "two strike" dog. One more incident and it had to be put to sleep by law. He said that the dog had been bitten a couple times as a puppy and was not threatening to people, but goes after any animal it sees (like that is somehow OK?). Only because he was a nice kid I gave him a break and told the officer that I wanted nothing more than to make sure that dog was never free to roam EVER. This kid had lived there for quite a while and I have never seen the dog before and live three houses away so they must keep it inside all the time.

There is a cute little basset hound one house away from him that is usually sitting in the front yardwagging its tail at passersby that, like my dog, would be completely defenseless against this thing. It was against my better judgement that I did not ask for the dog to be put down, but I was trying to put myself in his shoes and see how I felt if someone asked for my dog to be put down. It was only because he seemed remorsefull and sincere that I did not push for it, but I do not know how will feel if it someday attacks another dog or one of the many little kids in the neighborhood. I would be partially responsible in my mind.

I paid the $150 vet bill for some antibiotics and dressing a cut on his leg. The kid offered, but my dog's well bieng is priceless to me, this kid has a rusty multicolored car so I did not want to take his money. I told him I did not want to hurt him or his dog, but my dog has been my best little friend for the last eight years and watching his dog trying to rip his throat out is not something that I will ever let happen again. I told him very calmly that if that dog took a step in our direction ever again it would not return to him breathing and he looked like he understood. We have a conceal carry law in MN, I hate guns but am considering getting a small handgun for walking the dog. I would not hesitate but to empty the clip into that dog if it came at us again. Have one of those things come at you on the dead run with teeth bared is kinda spooky. And NOBODY messes with Chewbacca.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm really sorry to hear this! I hate it. I have a pittbull and he's the sweetest thing in the world and would never hurt anyone. It's such a shame that some people let them get so aggressive.

I hope your dog heals up well and I hope you're okay...that must have been such a scary sight to see.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would have kicked that pit bull in the head so hard it would have brain damage.

You really handled that situation well and I admire you compassion for the other dog's owner.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:41 AM

A pitbull is the last dog that should be in the hands of an irresponsible owner. They are too twitchy not to be. Don't get me wrong some can be nice dogs, but like any breed, certain characteristics have been bred into them over time. One of them is aggresiveness. They can be fine with the right owner, but an owner that has no idea how to bring the dog up correctly has a timebomb on his hands.

This kid was apologetic at the scene, but the funny thing was, he did not scold the dog at all. Just grabbed the collar, and walked the dog away from us while apologizing. There was nothing he did to tell the dog that the behavior was unacceptable. WTH? I like animals, but I will shoot that thing if it gets loose on us again. People minding their own business in their own neighborhood should not have to tip toe around some psycho dog. Inexcusable.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:41 AM

Your lucky since most of the time when a Pitbull bites, he doesnt let go.
Good that ur dog came out alive and kind-of-well.
Buy a machete, its less trouble than a gun.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:45 AM

I have a machete, souvineer from Jamaica. Just can't walk around the neighboorhood with it.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a can of Mace or pepper spray. You should even be able to buy dog specific spray at any pet store. This is a much better option than a gun.

Just like you dont want your dog hurt I'm sure that guy doesnt want his dog put down. Still he is breaking the law by allowing it to roam free as you experienced. Call the police and insure there is a previous record associated with that dog at that location. If not file one, he could have been lying about the 2-strikes thing. An un-trained dog can be dangerous to not only animals but children as well. It's not an issue of the type of dog rather how it was raised. The only thing we can really interperate from the fact that it was a pitbull is the fact that they do indeed pose a risk due to their strength and the possibility of a prolonged attack due to the tendancy for those dogs to "lock" onto an object.

Pet Spray and a double check with the police would be my reccomendation.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the recommendation. I will think about it, But I am the type of person who gives you the benefit of the doubt once. The dog has a record of being dangerous, trust me this thing is viscious. I don't understand folks who can have a dog that runs 50 yards unprovoked to kill another dog and the say "But it really is a nice dog" No it isnt, it has SERIOUS issues.

He made the mistake of it getting loose on me and Chewie once. No serious harm done, forgive and forget. Once. It gets loose on me again and I prefer to put a bullet or knife in its skull. And this is coming from someone who loves dogs. I paid a crap load of money to buy a new house in a nice neighborhood to have good nieghbors and mind my own business. But I am not going to fear some nutcase dog and pepper spray it only to possibly have to deal with it a third time. If it comes at me it is dead. If not by my hands, cops can do it. I know that sounds cruel, but nobody should have to live in fear of anything in their own neighborhood, period. I hope he keeps it under control for his sake and the dogs. Maybe I will do the pepper spray thing after I cool down a bit. But it is not in my nature. Attack me once, shame on you, attack me twice and I don't put an end to it, shame on me.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:36 AM

this type of situation is sad. i have had a pitbulls all my life, 5 to be exact. we recieved one who was somewhat mean, but not to us jus other dogs and we had to put him down....
all the other pits have been raised as family dogs and not fighters, thats what these kids do w/ these dogs and thats why they are like this.
i have my dog around little ones such as my niece(7), my dog sleeps w/ me and knows right from wrong. these kids make them mean, there not mean by nature(when they attack other animals they think its right)
i completely understand what you are saying though and it is his fault cause the dog would not be like this if he raised him right(attacked by other dogs or not!)
im glad ur dog is okay....
and i respect the things you did although u were on the shitty end of the stick-marcus
Old 06-16-2004, 09:40 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HondaGirl
I'm really sorry to hear this!

Quick Reply: My dog attacked by pitbull. (very long)