Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

New tools

Old 04-11-2011, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tools

I am looking to buy a decent tool set and their just seems to be to many options lol.. I think I have settled on the stanley brand as its cheaper but still has a lifetime warranty.

The delima comes down to how many pieces i want in the set..

145 piece for 60$

201 for 90$

I am also open to suggestions would really like to keep it around the 100 or less range...
Old 04-11-2011, 07:05 AM

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...+Sets&prdNo=12

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...+Sets&prdNo=11
Old 04-11-2011, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...marketcode=DAL
I don't mind northern tool's quality at all, yet the socket wrenches are cheap, but they get the job done and I'm not picky about the quality of something like that.
Eh they don't really have anything cheap really, I bought this set on Black Friday for $60?
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5065_200315065
Just saying shop around your stores more
Ah now I know what strikes me as what I dislike about these sets, no extensions really.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:11 AM

Go with a Craftsman set. You wont regret it.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by hariku821
I am looking to buy a decent tool set and their just seems to be to many options lol.. I think I have settled on the stanley brand as its cheaper but still has a lifetime warranty.

The delima comes down to how many pieces i want in the set..

145 piece for 60$

201 for 90$

I am also open to suggestions would really like to keep it around the 100 or less range...
Stanleys warranty:
LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
Stanley warrants this product to the original purchaser for its useful life (not to exceed one year for products with electrical or electronic components) against deficiencies in material and workmanship. This LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY does not cover products that are improperly used, abused, altered or repaired. Deficient products will be replaced or repaired.

Craftsman warranty:
If this Craftsman hand tool ever fails to provide complete satisfaction, it will be repaired or replaced free of charge.

i went to sears yesterday with 2 sockets and 1 extension. i had used them to pound a bearing out of a u-joint and they all got really messed up. the sockets were rounded and no longer useable, and the extension was unable to attach to the ratchet anymore because it was beaten so much.

they didnt ask 1 question. not "how were they damaged?", "why are you not satisfied?"... nothing, they just exchanged them on the spot.

i say go with craftsman. look on craigslist or go to garage sales, the warranty covers the product, not the purchaser, so if you find an old rusted and beat up socket set, you can take it in and get a new one.

this is the set i started out with: (its on sale right now)
http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...&blockType=L10

as i needed bigger sockets or wrenches or other tools i went out and bought them and my tool set has grown.

youll need some extras like channel locks, vice grips, needle noses pliers, and a couple of adjustable crescents.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got a craftsman set from walmart, black steel, for $30, was on sale from $60, 100+ pieces, has everything you need except allen wrenches
Old 04-11-2011, 07:32 PM

I work at Sears auto. Craftsman for sure. NOt the most expensive or the best, but it hasn't let me down. The no questions asked warranty is a HUGE plus.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:44 AM

Stanley tools are tools (as in, crappy). You will regret the purchase. If you only have 100 bucks, get a 60 piece or so craftsman set with the sockets you want: 3/8" Ratchet + 9mm->19mm or so will probably get MOST of the jobs done. Open end/box wrenches are also handy as well as a torx/allen wrench set. With that set up, you can pretty much tear down MOST things on normal cars. A few "special" tools might be needed but you can always purchase those along the way.

Personally, I picked a 200 piece craftsman set over a 250piece because the 200ish set had more things I needed and less "fluff" - less standard sockets, more metric, more wrenches...etc.

If I had the $ I'd pick up a set of snap on tools...but for what I do, a backyard mechanic the craftsman are as good as I require.

-edit-

as for why the stanleys are crap: Every single stanley tool i've purchased except for a screwdriver has failed me in one way or another. A Taiwan branded screwdriver was still better than the stanley driver too, so its not saying much.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:47 PM

Like most people said above, Craftsman seems like the best bet for your budget. I would stay away from the tool kits you linked to as you can get a better Craftsman set for less that 100 bucks.

Just search tool sets on the Sears website, and keep in mind that more pieces doesn't necessarily mean better value (Who needs 75 cheap alan wrenches).
The best thing to do is buy online from Sears and pick your order up in the store. Sears.com has a 10% or 15% off tools deal somewhat frequently ( it's 15% today!).
Then find online coupon codes if you can, to save a few more bucks. At the very least you can save 5 bucks off a 50 dollar order using a discount code.

I have a 250 piece craftsman set that I'm very happy with, and it was a great value.

Good luck with your purchase!
Old 04-13-2011, 09:28 AM

Stanley owns mac tools so its really hard to believe that they make junk...

Would it be worth it to buy 260 pc for 199

or should I stick with 154pc for 100 and buy other tools as I need them..

Quick Reply: New tools