Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Outlook help needed

Old 01-21-2002, 10:02 AM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Outlook help needed

What are the file extensions I should be looking for that are used in Outlook? I know archived emails are saved as a *.pst extension. What are the others?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-2002, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.pab is your address book. .ost is for off-line files I believe
Old 01-21-2002, 10:32 AM

*.oab as well.
Old 01-21-2002, 01:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just grab the whole .pst file and save it. It has the address book, notes, emails, etc. That way if my PC gets toasted, I've always got my emails and address book. You can even copy the .pst file from one PC to another. A buddy of mine uses a desktop at work, and at the end of the day just copies the .pst file to his notebook, over-writing the old one, and now has a current copy on his portable.

Here's where mine is:

Cocuments and Settingsrbaust.RBAUST_C600Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlookoutlook.pst
Old 01-21-2002, 02:37 PM

the pst (POST) file dosen't contain the address book (Pab, or Oab)
If you want to know where the files are located, look in tools > Services and check the properties for each service
Old 01-21-2002, 03:01 PM

If you use Callpilot for unified messaging, look for a *.cpa and a *.cst.
Old 01-21-2002, 05:22 PM

When it asks you if you want to archive your folders it will create a file archive.pst. or if you ever want to make your emails go directly to this file make sure that in the deliver options the personal folder is specified- *.pst. but, if you trust the system leave your emails on the information store. (they are always backed up) if you change the delivery options to this pst file you risk it being hacked and lost.

D
Old 01-22-2002, 10:51 AM

So I've copied all the .pst and .pab files I could find in my C:/ drive. When I back these up and get them onto a CD, I can just pop the CD into my home computer and point Outlook to read these files?

If I do that, the .pst file will be all the emails that were last archived? My one .pst file is only about 63,000 Meg. For all the emails I've got saved (with attachements, apps, pics, and so on) that seems kind of small.

I wonder what gives?

..if you all are wondering why I'm asking, I'm thinking Enron here...I'm just contigency planning. Also there may be a move out of the glorified, cubicle dwelling, corporate strong-hold of a job I have taken last summer.
Old 01-22-2002, 11:10 AM

Use the export feature to get Outlook to create a new .pst backup file. Then you can either import the .pst into another Outlook profile or open it from another Outlook console. If you burn the file onto a CD before taking it home make sure you copy the file onto your hard drive first or it won't open. If you need more specific help on this feel free to PM me.
Old 01-22-2002, 11:29 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ltweintz
[B]Use the export feature to get Outlook to create a new .pst backup file.

Quick Reply: Outlook help needed